Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Quickly please, Open G Tunning w/ 6 strings, last high strings should sound the same?
Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: April 5, 2011 03:09

Just got a guitar, since 5 years and I've smoked alot of crack in these last 4 years so...

Re: Quickly please, Open G Tunning w/ 6 strings, last high strings should sound the same?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 5, 2011 03:17

The low E string (the fat one, closest to you) is tuned down to D. The A string is tuned to G, of course, and the high E string is tuned to D.

Re: Quickly please, Open G Tunning w/ 6 strings, last high strings should sound the same?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 5, 2011 03:25

What skip says is exactly right - he's played it a lot more than I have.

Basically make a barre chord and add the A shape minor 7 (drop fingers on the 2nd string up one fret and 4th string up two frets) to get a pretty good Keef impersonation going.

The 5th string is your root (G) and the 6th string can either be tuned to D or as Keith does, removed.

Date: April 5, 2011 04:04

THanks for the repsonse, but my tunner that came in the package only tunes it w/ @#$%& standard tunning.

Have to buy a tunner that can handle the Beautiful Sound of Open G.

Date: April 5, 2011 04:23

What? That's ridiculous. You can't select it to tune on chromatic?

Date: April 5, 2011 04:40

Nope. Cant, thats weird I know.

Hey but anyone know what gauge of strings Keith uses on acoustic too.

Thanks guys.

Stones.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 5, 2011 04:48

yeah if you really want to Keef it up, take the low E off. also, try capo-ing at the 4th fret..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 5, 2011 05:54

All you need is D G and B and they are in your tuner.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 5, 2011 07:05

A quick guide to open tunings:

Open G: D-G-D-G-B-D
Open A: E-A-E-A-C#-E
Open D: D-A-D-F#-A-D
Open E: E-B-E-G#-B-E
DADGAD: Three guesses.

Now get yer ya-yas out for real!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 5, 2011 07:15

Am I doing something wrong? Whenever I try to tune my axe to any other tuning than standard or open G, I either break the strings, or they get too loose to sound right, let alone hold the tuning.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 5, 2011 07:22

Do you wind the strings around the peg of the machine head a gazillion times all over like winding up a hose? There actually is a correct way to do it and it can make a difference.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 5, 2011 07:57

donteverstop
Open G Tunning...
... and I've smoked alot of crack in these last 4 years so...

Sounds like you need to try the Open-H Tuning

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 5, 2011 11:02

JumpingKentFlash
Am I doing something wrong? Whenever I try to tune my axe to any other tuning than standard or open G, I either break the strings, or they get too loose to sound right, let alone hold the tuning.

What strings are you using? In general it is best to use thicker strings for alternate tunings, a 011 or 012 set works well for about all tunings except the tuning used for nu-metal and the like, they tune down to C or further and use 013 or even 014 sets of strings.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 5, 2011 11:03

ab
A quick guide to open tunings:

Open G: D-G-D-G-B-D
Open A: E-A-E-A-C#-E
Open D: D-A-D-F#-A-D
Open E: E-B-E-G#-B-E
DADGAD: Three guesses.

Now get yer ya-yas out for real!

Open A normally is refered to as open G.

Mathijs

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 5, 2011 11:44

I'm using 0.10 standard strings and there's not a problem tuning to open G. If a string breaks, you are probably tuning an octave too high.

By the way, this shows how you string the guitar. This is a Strat-type guitar, but how you wind it around the tuner-post is what's important here. ("lockng" the string with a knot and 2-3 winds on the post.) As long as you don't have Fender vintage type tuners, this will work fine. Also important is to stretch the strings several times while tuning up.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 5, 2011 12:31

duke richardson
yeah if you really want to Keef it up, take the low E off. also, try capo-ing at the 4th fret..

+ 1

Keeps it in tune better, plus both the lower strings sound like a squadron B-52 bombers due to different tension and timbre. smoking smiley

I once doubled the 5th string.That worked pretty well and even created a fatter sound then Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 14:52 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 5, 2011 12:53

[/quote]

Open A normally is refered to as open G.

Mathijs[/quote]

The version of Open A that I picked up is a full step up from Open G on all strings (hell for the neck), just as Open D is a full step down on all strings from Open E.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Here's as complete a listing of open tunings as you're likely to find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 13:04 by ab.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 5, 2011 14:16

What about tuning the lowest (thickest) string to g instead of d? Does that mess up the chords?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 5, 2011 14:36

donteverstop
Just got a guitar, since 5 years and I've smoked alot of crack in these last 4 years so...

<<< and I've smoked alot of crack in these last 4 years >>>

Well you've survived by all accounts, well done. How's your overall health by the way ? Get into those open tunings, there ain't nothing like them for orgasms of sound.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: April 5, 2011 15:37

Robert Johnson is who you should be listening to for open tunings. Crisp, clear, he nails the notes. Brian's articulation was good, as is MT's, Ronnie is rather all over the place unfortunately.

Date: April 5, 2011 16:37

This tuner, only seems to tune in standard.

You have to line the the meter up center.

I'll just find another some that are able maybel maybe baby to tune to Open G.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 16:42 by donteverstop.

Date: April 5, 2011 16:41

That drug took me for almost all I had.

Can't be a virgin forever! lol

That drug is terrible.

But if Ronnie was on it durring 81-82, he sure sounded great.

He played a different solo for YCAGWYW every night!

Unlike Taylor, same solo, every night...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 5, 2011 16:43

Go get ya a cheap ass Korg chromatic tuner - it'll work just fine.

That said GDB are the only three notes you'll need.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 5, 2011 17:05

But if Ronnie was on it durring 81-82, he sure sounded great.

He played a different solo for YCAGWYW every night!

Unlike Taylor, same solo, every night...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 5, 2011 17:15

donteverstop

As I said above, you don't need another tuner to tune in open G. For instance, play the top (thickest string) and tune it to D, which is on the tuner.

Date: April 5, 2011 17:22

Koen
donteverstop

As I said above, you don't need another tuner to tune in open G. For instance, play the top (thickest string) and tune it to D, which is on the tuner.

Thanks.

You made it simple.

I'll try it again tonight.

Date: April 5, 2011 17:31

Hey Amsterdamned,

Yes Ronnie brought it fresh, every night and never "out played Keith", with the same solo and note every night like Taylor. All w/ a smile.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 5, 2011 17:36

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 5, 2011 17:46

Koen
donteverstop

You may have to use the harmonics at the octave of the lowest strings to make the tuner register the lower G & D though. Some of the super cheap tuners only look for the frequencies of the standard tuned strings.

Also: Congrats on beating that evil drug... My brother-in-law is currently sliding back down the ramp to Crystal Meth hell. He's been through rehab once already. Kudos to you and the strength you've found and are using to keep yourself clean. All the best to you in your continued recovery.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 5, 2011 18:00

mr_dja
Koen
donteverstop

You may have to use the harmonics at the octave of the lowest strings to make the tuner register the lower G & D though. Some of the super cheap tuners only look for the frequencies of the standard tuned strings.

Also: Congrats on beating that evil drug... My brother-in-law is currently sliding back down the ramp to Crystal Meth hell. He's been through rehab once already. Kudos to you and the strength you've found and are using to keep yourself clean. All the best to you in your continued recovery.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thank you so much my brother about beating coke.

Cocaine's for horses, it's not for men...

But yeah, I might have to still buy another tuner.

This was the one I used before crack,

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home