Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Buddy Guy...Tonights show in Erie, PA
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 4, 2011 07:39

Buddy is my favorite guitarist and have seen him many times. I was really looking forward to tonights show. Anyway, without trying to critique what I saw here is my rundown. Make your own opinion considering what he is capable of.

Buddy Guy. Erie, PA 4/3/2011
Approx 90 minutes. No Opening act.
Played 10 mostly complete songs and a bunch of screwing around.

Set List:

(Brief musical into by his band)
Nobody Understands Me but My Guitar
Hoochie Coohie Man (easily over 10 mins long)
Slippin' Out Slippin' in
(medley of riffs and start telling stories)
Skin Deep
That's Why I play the Blues (song that sounds just like it)
(Plays solo for above song in the audience)
(More stories and a couple riffs)
74 Years Young
Ain't it Paticular
Fever
(more riffs, more story telling)
(12 yr old invited to play on stage, could not make out his name, Not Quinn Sullivan)
(Buddy takes off guitar and starts throwing some picks out to crowd while band plays)
One The Road (sings a verse or two at the microphone...no guitar)
Sister Went to Milk
(Throws some more picks out to audience and walks off-stage while band plays on)

Without the story telling and misc riffs, he could easily have played 17 songs. Only played "74 Years Young" and maybe 1/4 of "On the Road" from
his amazing Grammy Award Winning "Living Proof" record.

The end....

Re: Buddy Guy...Tonights show in Erie, PA
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 4, 2011 15:35

I saw him last Spring in Buffalo and it was the same basic style of show. I think he's at the point in his career where he knows his limits and is making the concert more of an experience than a concert. He plays tonite in Buffalo and I am skipping it for that reason. I'd rather remember him for the amazing shows I saw in the past.

Was Tom Hambridge the opener? Great songwriter.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 4, 2011 16:43

I love Buddy. Seriously love the guy and his music. I have been seeing him live since the 80's and met him a few times in Detroit as well. A fan dream, and he is a gracious gentleman. His studio stuff has been fantastic and he really hit a new muse, especially starting with Damn Right I've Got the Blues, and then later he seemed to be a new man again with Sweet Tea.
But that said. The man has been basically playing the same show since the 80s. A few complete songs, and a lot of story telling and noodling. It is strange the disconnect he has with the art he etches in the studio from what he feels he has to give on stage. It is like he thinks he is giving young white kids lessons on why he is the man of blues. He taught Hendrix, then he plays the riff to Purple Haze. Same schtick that he has been doing for over 30 years!

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 4, 2011 16:58

does he walk out into the audience still? when i saw him 4 years or so ago he was playing guitar on the second balcony.
edit: oops, i missed the part of your setlist that says he went out into the audience. my mistake! buddy guy is great. love him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-04 17:00 by ineedadrink.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 4, 2011 19:34

whitem8
I love Buddy. Seriously love the guy and his music. I have been seeing him live since the 80's and met him a few times in Detroit as well. A fan dream, and he is a gracious gentleman. His studio stuff has been fantastic and he really hit a new muse, especially starting with Damn Right I've Got the Blues, and then later he seemed to be a new man again with Sweet Tea.
But that said. The man has been basically playing the same show since the 80s. A few complete songs, and a lot of story telling and noodling. It is strange the disconnect he has with the art he etches in the studio from what he feels he has to give on stage. It is like he thinks he is giving young white kids lessons on why he is the man of blues. He taught Hendrix, then he plays the riff to Purple Haze. Same schtick that he has been doing for over 30 years!

Nice assessment.

BB is the same way when it comes to his new material. Damn, at least the Stones play 1 song from their new album. BB and Buddy put out new stuff but you wouldn't be able to tell judging by their set lists. I don't get it. Laziness? Not sure of the material? Can't bother to learn the new stuff?

Yes, Sweet Tea is awesome!

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: April 4, 2011 20:38

Agree with the comments / criticism above about his live shows. The incomplete songs and starts and stops can be frustrating, but my first time seeing him was over twenty years ago, and it was the exactly the same then. He is still unbelievably good to see live, even at 74. I frankly saw no difference or degradation in his guitar playing ability from '91 to '11.

Date: April 4, 2011 20:49

His "Living Proof" record is amazing. Won a Grammy. Play at least 4-5 cuts from it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 4, 2011 21:05

whitem8

there's nothing strange or unusual about a buddy show. i think it's a matter of putting artists like him in a box and then being surprised or disappointed when the show doesn't fit in it. this isn't a typical rock'n'roll show where there's a discreet songlist with discernible beginnings and endings. i've seen many performers of buddy's generation who perform shows like his - al green comes to mind. at a green show you might only hear 2 or 3 songs performed in the "normal" manner. instead, it's a patchwork or songs or themes, sometimes even a pastiche. nothing wrong with that at all, but i know some folks are put off by it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-04 21:07 by StonesTod.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 4, 2011 22:34

Yeah it sounds exactly like the Buddy show I saw a couple years ago in Tahoe. But it was the first time I'd ever seen him. So I didn't know that was his usual schtick.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 5, 2011 02:57

StonesTod
whitem8

there's nothing strange or unusual about a buddy show. i think it's a matter of putting artists like him in a box and then being surprised or disappointed when the show doesn't fit in it. this isn't a typical rock'n'roll show where there's a discreet songlist with discernible beginnings and endings. i've seen many performers of buddy's generation who perform shows like his - al green comes to mind. at a green show you might only hear 2 or 3 songs performed in the "normal" manner. instead, it's a patchwork or songs or themes, sometimes even a pastiche. nothing wrong with that at all, but i know some folks are put off by it.

Yes I understand what your saying stonestod. But Buddy did not use to perform like this at all. I have seen some very focused and blistering shows where he actually did entire set lists and ripped the place to shreds. I know though for a long time he has changed his "act" and likes to rely on the snippets and story telling that seems to be more of a history of Buddy, then a showcase for his music. Again, I am a huge fan, but I am done seeing him live, it is too frustrating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 03:00 by whitem8.

Date: April 5, 2011 03:03

Justin
whitem8
Sweet Tea is one of his best! Raw, gritty, and full of howling good blues.

Nice assessment.

BB is the same way when it comes to his new material. Damn, at least the Stones play 1 song from their new album. BB and Buddy put out new stuff but you wouldn't be able to tell judging by their set lists. I don't get it. Laziness? Not sure of the material? Can't bother to learn the new stuff?

Yes, Sweet Tea is awesome!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 5, 2011 03:42

Someone on another board I visit dismisses Sweet Tea because they claim it's "too modern for Buddy." Saying that "Damn Right I Got The Blues" was the best of his "modern" albums. I dunno...I heard Sweet Tea and yes while it did bring the music FORWARD...it was hitting some great stuff. Some tracks even sounded like The Black Keys. Good stuff.

Date: April 5, 2011 04:19

Sweet Tea...a great record. On that tour I only heard him play one song from it.

Date: April 5, 2011 08:57

I forgot he also played "Feels Like Rain"...so make that an 11 song set.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home