Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - my chat with Cat Stevens
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 28, 2011 21:30

A piece I wrote after interviewing him last week

[www.spinner.com]

Re: OT - my chat with Cat Stevens
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 28, 2011 21:38

One of the most thoughtful artists in popular music. Even 40 years ago he was a young man with an old soul.

Date: March 28, 2011 22:53

some ad'l stuff i wrote about it

[blog.beliefnet.com]

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 23:58

Great niece HBwriter!
I grew up with Cat Steven's 70s hits and remember the flak he recieved during the whole Salman Rushdie thing and how 10,000 Maniacs stopped performing "Peace Train" in their live shows. That was the first time I was aware of his conversion to Islam. Years later, I rediscovered him while watching Harold and Maude on TV and wondered if he would ever be appreciated again. You asked a great question HB, about whether he realized how "imbedded" his music was to people.....I always wondered the same thing - it always seemed like he had rejected everything he had been before including the music. I'm glad his son made him realize just how much his music was a part of a generation's experience. He is far from the extremist the media previously portrayed him as and its nice to see him embrace his past glory.
Thanks for sharing that HB!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 29, 2011 00:13

Thanks hbwriter for posting this, I was a bit confused that your interview announcement from Cat was removed confused smiley

Date: March 29, 2011 01:18

it was? maybe because it got sabotaged by some political types here - i recall some pretty ignorant messages left on it

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 29, 2011 05:14

The misconceptions by the public about him are his own doing. He never came forward to clear up what his true feelings were. I think he liked the ambiguity. I loved his early 70s work, but he ruined it for me. It's hard to separate the artists from their lives. If we felt so strongly about the sentiments expressed in those songs, then there must be something wrong with us because he himself walked away from them.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 29, 2011 05:21

24FPS
The misconceptions by the public about him are his own doing. He never came forward to clear up what his true feelings were.
that's not true.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 29, 2011 07:44

Thank you for the nice interview.thumbs up

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that his song "Father and Son" contains universal truths.smiling smiley

Date: March 29, 2011 08:12

you're very welcome - he was a really nice guy

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 29, 2011 11:50

Thank you very much for sharing this interview with us, hbwriter.

What is your personal impression of him as an individual? How does he appear, and, is there any special charisma he radiates?

Date: March 29, 2011 15:10

deadflowers--absolutely - he is very self-effacing - does not take himself too seriously - and has a sort of childlike view of the world - he was refreshingly down to earth for someone of his artistic stature (and i meet all kinds smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 29, 2011 15:37

Hi HB,

Presumably you didn't call him Cat? I interviewed him about 10 years into his conversion to Islam and he was dressed in white flowing robes and had a really long beard. He was opening an Islam school project in London.

Love the guy and have seen him three times in the last few years - one time at a Jim Capaldi memorial concert at London's Roundhouse. A truly great singer/songwriter!

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: March 29, 2011 15:51

Another very good interview Chris (Jeff Beck was a good one). I just happen to have an Egyptian friend staying at the house for the week with his wife so tomorrow I'll let him read the interview (it's VERY late right now). Cat Stevens was great back in the day and Yusuf Islam is great in present days - but in reality it's the same man. All these low I.Q.er's that flip out over Islam should move to North Korea. It's just another belief system (like Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc) and if it works for you it works. I'm all for it (the moderate version). Live and let live. Cat/Yusuf is great, a wonderful talent and man, get a clue people !!! Thanks Chris, keep em' coming ") !!! And support his work, buy a few CD;s or whatever.. .

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 29, 2011 22:59

stupidguy2
Great niece HBwriter!
I grew up with Cat Steven's 70s hits and remember the flak he recieved during the whole Salman Rushdie thing and how 10,000 Maniacs stopped performing "Peace Train" in their live shows. That was the first time I was aware of his conversion to Islam. Years later, I rediscovered him while watching Harold and Maude on TV and wondered if he would ever be appreciated again. You asked a great question HB, about whether he realized how "imbedded" his music was to people.....I always wondered the same thing - it always seemed like he had rejected everything he had been before including the music. I'm glad his son made him realize just how much his music was a part of a generation's experience. He is far from the extremist the media previously portrayed him as and its nice to see him embrace his past glory.
Thanks for sharing that HB!

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: March 29, 2011 23:25

wonderful, thanks hbwriter.
he is such a talented muso, I think he has enriched the world with a lot of beautiful tunes. I adore Matthew and Son!

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 30, 2011 11:43

hbwriter
deadflowers--absolutely - he is very self-effacing - does not take himself too seriously - and has a sort of childlike view of the world - he was refreshingly down to earth for someone of his artistic stature (and i meet all kinds smiling smiley

Nice to hear so from you. I perceive him as a simply beautiful person, one of the greatest singer-songwriters ever who has presented us with such a lot of immortal, wonderful songs that touch one right into the heart.

07 May through 02 June he's touring Europe, btw: Sweden, Germany, Holland, France, Austria, Belgium.

[212.67.202.173]

(I only find the local - Hamburg - ticket prices of 65 to 95 EUR a bit dear.)

Wish the artist and his audiences a beuatiful tour!

Date: April 1, 2011 04:31

Silver Dagger
Hi HB,

Presumably you didn't call him Cat? I interviewed him about 10 years into his conversion to Islam and he was dressed in white flowing robes and had a really long beard. He was opening an Islam school project in London.

Love the guy and have seen him three times in the last few years - one time at a Jim Capaldi memorial concert at London's Roundhouse. A truly great singer/songwriter!

Silver - I think he is getting back in touch with lots of the past - he was referring to himself as Cat at times

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 1, 2011 18:41

Good stuff, hb!

I really liked the saying: "you can argue with a philosopher but you can't argue with a good song." Spot on.

- Doxa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home