Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. Aretha is getting better.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 26, 2011 18:51

Aretha sings at 69th birthday party
Aretha Franklin proved her voice is still divine at 69 as she gave a brief but rousing performance at a birthday party in her honour. Tony Bennett, Smokey Robinson, music mogul Clive Davis, Bette Midler and Gayle King were among the celebrities on hand to pay tribute to the Queen of Soul on Friday night at a late-night birthday party at a Central Park hotel in New York.

"It's a fabulous moment," said Franklin, showing off her noticeably thinner frame in a flowing white and gold gown as she sat at a table with several gifts.

Bennett, who called Franklin "one of a kind", was one of those who came with a present - and his was unique.

"I also paint, so she knows about that," he said. "A long time ago, she said, 'I'd love to have you do a painting of me,' and I remembered that, and when I heard I was coming here, I just knocked off a quick sketch and gave it to her tonight."

More than 100 friends and family gathered to celebrate Franklin, who just a few months ago underwent surgery for an ailment she has declined to disclose. In recent weeks, she has made more public appearances and is set to resume her stage performances in May.

At the party, Franklin seemed full of energy, greeting guests and dancing to the music.

Franklin was not billed as the evening's entertainment. Instead, she had other acclaimed musicians on hand to perform for her: jazz musician Roy Ayers, singer Nnenna Freelon, and Tito Puente all gave mini-concerts at the soiree.

But after former Temptations frontman Dennis Edwards serenaded her with a couple of songs, she joined him and they both sang The Way We Were.

Afterwards, Edwards and the crowd sang Happy Birthday to Franklin, and she cut her birthday cake.
winking smiley

Re: O.T. Aretha is getting better.
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 26, 2011 19:03

I can't believe she still won't admit that she had her stomach stapled.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 26, 2011 19:22

You could be right,tatters.I dunno if you are serious or not.I do hope you are right as that would be far better than cancer of the pancreas which was widely believed.This is how I like to remember Aretha.Happy 69th birhday. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-26 19:43 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 26, 2011 23:37

Now she just needs to do is sit her ass in front of a baby grand and write....drop the vegas trappings and get back to basics.....but i think thats as much of a pipe dream as the stones dropping the trappings......

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: March 27, 2011 08:58

Almost 2.5 million views, not without reason!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 27, 2011 11:22

Now if that don't bring a spring in your step and a smile on the face, I don't know what will! That is inspirational!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 31, 2011 00:07

I thought she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer?? Since when was it a secret, unless she has not acknowledged that.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 31, 2011 01:31

mickschix
I thought she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer?? Since when was it a secret, unless she has not acknowledged that.

That was a rumor that has not been acknowledged by her or confirmed by anyone else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home