Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East turns 40
Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:53

On March 12 and 13, 1971, the Allman Brothers Band played the shows from which their epic Live at Fillmore East album was culled. Personally, I'd rate that album and The Who Live at Leeds as the greatest live rock albums ever made, and I'd rate the original ABB lineup as one of the greatest American bands ever.

On Saturday, March 12, 2011, I saw the mighty Allman Brothers Band play the entire Fillmore East album as the first set of an epic concert at the Beacon Theatre in New York. While there have been significant personnel changes from original ABB lineup, the current edition of the ABB paid tribute and did justice to the ABB's finest work.

And the second set wasn't any slouch either: Mountain Jam>Trouble No More, The Sky is Crying, Don't Keep Me Wonderin', Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Every Hungry Woman>Mountain Jam, with a No One to Run With encore. I was one happy puppy when I left the Beacon last night.

Monday's ABB show will be on MSG Network for those who have satellite dishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-14 07:15 by ab.

Re: OT: The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East turns 40
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 14, 2011 07:20

I Will see the Allmans tonight Monday March 14. I just got home form Furthur, Grateful Dead, Sunday 13, of course. Warren Haynes turned up at the Furthur show and played -- and sang Blue Sky -- which is something the Allmans have not done since Dickey Betts' departure. Great Show!

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: March 14, 2011 11:13

My favourite live album and it's the one that gets played the most.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 14, 2011 11:29

It's a shame that they refuse to cross the pond and give their European fans an opportunity to experience what might be the best live band at the moment,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-14 16:51 by stones_serb.

Date: March 14, 2011 14:56

deadegad
I Will see the Allmans tonight Monday March 14. I just got home form Furthur, Grateful Dead, Sunday 13, of course. Warren Haynes turned up at the Furthur show and played -- and sang Blue Sky -- which is something the Allmans have not done since Dickey Betts' departure. Great Show!

The Allmans have did Blue Sky a couple of times in 2004, Gregg sang it. They did it at the Fox in Atlanta and on an XM radio show where they played Eat a Peach in its entirety.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 14, 2011 16:56

ab
deadegad

The Allmans have did Blue Sky a couple of times in 2004, Gregg sang it. They did it at the Fox in Atlanta and on an XM radio show where they played Eat a Peach in its entirety.

Thanks,I did not know that. I had only noticed Blue Sky as an instrumental on some set-lists.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 14, 2011 17:19

Is anyone going this Friday, March 18th?
I'd love to touch base before the show...
Email me, if you like.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 14, 2011 17:19

The best live album.
Ever.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 14, 2011 17:27

with the flood on the market of live allman recordings (vintage ones and more recent ones), i'm not prepared to say this is the best live allmans ever...but...i'm very close to it....

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 14, 2011 17:36

It make me wonder, without this album being made and selling so well.... what else might NOT have occured? ABBAFE is a staple (must have) in the collection for sure.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 14, 2011 19:13

I'm still mystified as to why there's never been a DVD release of the Allman Brothers with Duane, and Berry Oakley. There is footage. I've seen footage of 'The Allman Brothers a the Fillmore East'. I don't even know of a documentary ever done on Duane.

Date: March 15, 2011 06:04

StonesTod
with the flood on the market of live allman recordings (vintage ones and more recent ones), i'm not prepared to say this is the best live allmans ever...but...i'm very close to it....

It's the standard against which all other Allmans live recordings are judged.

There are now a bunch of live sets of the original Allmans, starting with Fillmore East 2/13/70 to Ludlow Garage 4/5/70 to Atlanta Pop Fest 7/70 to America U. 12/13/70 to Fillmore East 3/12-13/71 to Fillmore East closing 6/27/71 (bonus disc of Eat a Peach) to Boston Common 8/71 to SUNY Stony Brook 9/71 (about a month before Duane Allman died). Their performances get incrementally better with the passing of every few months. That Duane died so young, just as he and his band were hitting their peak, is a real tragedy.

Date: March 15, 2011 16:05

ab
StonesTod

i'll be the judge of that

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 15, 2011 18:07

ab
StonesTod

There are now a bunch of live sets of the original Allmans, starting with Fillmore East 2/13/70 to Ludlow Garage 4/5/70 to Atlanta Pop Fest 7/70 to America U. 12/13/70 to Fillmore East 3/12-13/71 to Fillmore East closing 6/27/71 (bonus disc of Eat a Peach) to Boston Common 8/71 to SUNY Stony Brook 9/71 (about a month before Duane Allman died). Their performances get incrementally better with the passing of every few months. That Duane died so young, just as he and his band were hitting their peak, is a real tragedy.

They have been at thier peak for many years now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 18:07 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: March 15, 2011 18:27

the brothers have had a lot of peaks - and those peaks have piqued my interest

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 15, 2011 18:27

As much as I like the March, '71 performances, I prefer the 27 June, '71 show. As to it greatest live album ever, that is purely subjective...

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 15, 2011 18:38

ab
StonesTod

The Stony Brook one has probably the greatest performance ever of Blue Sky. Duane's solo is fantastic.

Date: March 15, 2011 19:01

Duane is seldom mentioned when they note the rock tragedys of the 1970s. Brian Jones kicked it off in 1969, but his passing did not end the Stones, and his influence had been in rapid decline.

But in America the reigning Rock Royalty was beheaded in the space of ten months (September 18th 1970 - July 3rd 1971) with the Hendrix, Joplin and Jim Morrison deaths. But even worse, for American Rock, is that 24-year-old Duane Allman, who died 29 October 1971, barely a year after Hendrix, was the Future of American Rock. He was the force within the group that pushed them into new sounds, along with bassist Berry Oakley (who died a year later on 11 November 1972). That Southern Rock sound associated with the Allman Brothers now, might have expanded much further and gone in jazzier directions if Duane had lived. Duane was in the pantheon of great guitar players.

Imagine if Keith Richards, Robert Plant, and Pete Townshend had died in that same period. Followed a year later by David Bowie.

Date: March 16, 2011 06:38

When I refer to the "greatest live album ever," I'm generally referring to albums that were released near the time of the performances in question as a current new album by the band in question.

I agree that the Fillmore East closing performance on 6/27/71 tops the Fillmore East album, but I don't count the closing performance as a live album because it was released 30-something years later as a bonus disc of a deluxe edition of another album, Eat a Peach. I also don't count other archival ABB releases that have been available in recent years and don't include all the 200 or so discs of live sets that the Grateful Dead have released after Jerry Garcia's death, King Crimson archival releases, the Quine Velvet Underground tapes, etc. in the conversation for the same reason.

However, I might include Led Zeppelin's How the West Was Won, the great makeup call for The Song Remains the Same, and would definitely include the expanded version of The Who Live at Leeds. Both were unleashed as general releases (not limited to mail order only or download), and neither was part of a continuing series of archival releases.

Having said all that, I'd rate my top five live rock albums as:
1. The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East
2. The Who Live at Leeds (deluxe edition)
3. The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Yas Out
4. Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won
5. Grateful Dead - Live Dead

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 16, 2011 15:06

Bob Lefsetz on the Allman Bros. in the Beacon, CLICK HERE

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 16, 2011 15:08

I like the way Gregg sings "skydog slaver" in Statesboro Blues. smoking smiley

Date: March 16, 2011 15:10

Fantastic album by a fantastic band. The current band is ass-kicking too.

Date: March 16, 2011 16:56

Elmo Lewis
I like the way Gregg sings "skydog slaver" in Statesboro Blues. smoking smiley

Elmo,I love this. Post of the week. drinking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 16, 2011 17:05

love the allmans and yes, but activity must be very slow in stonesworld for these two acts to be getting more discussion than the stones here of late....

i'm thinking of opening some ot discussions on favorite lounge acts/music and best bbq spots in texas....

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 16, 2011 17:23

ab
StonesTod

It's interesting to note that all these early recordings and, one would assume, their early shows consisted of essentially the same set-list which was ultimately honed to perfection for the Fillmore album. Only two songs each from their first two albums ever made it into the set regularly and only two of those (Liz Reed, Whippin Post) were originals. Consequently the above mentioned recordings are somewhat second tier rendered redundant by the Fillmore collection. The ABB didn't spring organically from some musical inspiration but rather Atlantic exec Jerry Wexler who suggested to Duane, living and playing sessions in Florida (while Gregg was in LA),that he put a band together.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 16, 2011 20:39

Let's not forget Rock 'n' Roll Animal, and David Live...

Date: March 16, 2011 23:25

Personal top five live:

1. Band of Gypsys
2. Ya Yas
3. David Live
4. Live! Bob Marley & the Wailers
5. Live at the Fillmore East

All right, seven:
6. Duke Ellington 'Live at Newport'
7. The Curtain Falls - Bobby Darin Live at the Flamingo

Date: March 17, 2011 05:08

dewlover
Let's not forget Rock 'n' Roll Animal, and David Live...

Rock 'n' Roll Animal is an album about which I have great misgivings. Yes, it's a phemomenal hard rock/metal album on its own merits. But, for longtime Lou Reed fans, it's the sound of him at his most wasted and manipulated. "We'll prop Lou up in front of the best band money can buy, and no one will know the difference."

That said, Lou should put out a 2CD set of the entire 12/21/73 show from the Academy of Music in NYC. Between Lou Reed Live and RnRA reissues, the material has all been released. It just needs to be presented unedited in the same running order as on that night.

The live at Nassau Coliseum 1976 discs that are included in the recent Station to Station reissue wipe the floor with David Live, as does Stage. Both backing bands are much better than his Diamond Dogs touring band, and Bowie's performances on both the 1976 and '78 sets are better. I gave a friend of mine the Station to Station reissue for Xmas and referred to the live discs in that set as David Liver Than He'll Ever Be.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: March 17, 2011 10:38

24FPS
I'm still mystified as to why there's never been a DVD release of the Allman Brothers with Duane, and Berry Oakley. There is footage. I've seen footage of 'The Allman Brothers a the Fillmore East'. I don't even know of a documentary ever done on Duane.

This is true, I have that footage. Or at least some of it, a 1/2 hour or so. Not a lot, I know. I don't know how much exists, but I'm guessing there must be more. I think what I have was from, or meant for, a PBS broadcast.

It was a while back, but if I found it, it can't be that hard to find out here on the internets.

Date: March 17, 2011 18:33

I thought when Wolfgang's Vault came on line a couple years back we'd start having access to rare footage Bill Graham had compiled from Fillmore concerts. Nothing. There was some black and white videotape of Band of Gypsys that I never knew existed, but that came out before Wolfgang's Vault. And with the recent passing of Don Kirshner, there's the painful reminder that none of the 'In Concert' footage has been released. I guess some of it is attributable to a down economy, but the rest must be legal rights.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home