Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Pirate Radio
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: March 17, 2011 18:49

If you have a chance to see this movie, it's very funny. some Stones music in it. Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman. Story is about an illegal radio station in the North Sea in the 60's....Great cast, and great music fyi

Re: OT: Pirate Radio
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 17, 2011 18:56

oh glad you liked it - it's next on my Netflix queue - now i'm really looking forward to it!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 17, 2011 19:24

This sleeve is representative of pirate radio ship "Veronica"

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: March 17, 2011 21:37

CindyC
oh glad you liked it - it's next on my Netflix queue - now i'm really looking forward to it!

great tunes...bought the cd after the movie

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: March 17, 2011 22:09

Great film!

Very funny, and wonderfull music

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 18, 2011 00:11

the egregious historical inaccuracies really got in my way
i hope people realize this is based on the story of the real mid-60s stations like Radio Caroline
and that they further realize that a genuinely interesting true story has been thoroughly mangled
(and that JJF came out in 1968, not 67 as in the film!)

Bill Nighy is always good as an aging rocker, though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-18 00:11 by with sssoul.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 20, 2011 14:43

Anyone remember Radio Luxembourg?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 20, 2011 14:48

Anyone who had a transistor radio back in the 60's remember that one...great station listen mostly before sleeping .....they played a lot of stones

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 20, 2011 15:58

vox12string
Anyone remember Radio Luxembourg?
I spent many nights with my small transistor radio hidden under the bed covers listening to Luxemburg thru the night. Certainly broadened my musical horizons but detrimentally affected my education going to school half asleep.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-20 16:02 by belld.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 20, 2011 16:00

Great film....seen it a few times

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 20, 2011 16:39

Radio Luxembourg came years before the North Sea pirate radio ships - wonderful music, but in London at least, truly lousy reception on my cheap little transistor radio. Spent many nights listening with the radio under the bedclothes or muffled under my pillow, until I got tired of the endless dial-twiddling as the radio drifted off-signal every few minutes, and fell asleep. An experience probably shared by most teenagers of my generation - and probably how I first heard the Stones.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: March 20, 2011 18:33

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 20, 2011 18:44

Green Lady
Radio Luxembourg came years before the North Sea pirate radio ships - wonderful music, but in London at least, truly lousy reception on my cheap little transistor radio. Spent many nights listening with the radio under the bedclothes or muffled under my pillow, until I got tired of the endless dial-twiddling as the radio drifted off-signal every few minutes, and fell asleep. An experience probably shared by most teenagers of my generation - and probably how I first heard the Stones.

Exactly what I 've been through...did you try out to adjust your antenna Green Lady confused smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 20, 2011 19:53

There must have been quite a lot of us on this board had the same experience with Radio Luxemberg.Remember it never started till about 7p.m.and through the early hours probably .Usually asleep well before midnight and woke up with the tranny still on.Happy Days.Haven't seen the film but is The Boat That Rocked and Pirate Radio the same film but differant names in Europe and U.S.A. ???? confused smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 21, 2011 09:16

Yes, same film.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home