Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick Taylor promises Rolling Stones book
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 10, 2011 22:12

By Christin Fruehauf published on March 10, 2011 11:29 am

Former Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor plans to write a book about his time with the band that is “truthful”.

The 62-year-old musician – who was a member of the legendary rock act from 1969 to 1974 – plans to reveal the “personal” reasons why he left the group in the tome, after admitting he had mixed feelings about his time with the band.

He exclusively told BANG Showbiz: “I want to write a book that is honest and truthful, especially about my self.”

Speaking of his time in the band he said: “I kind of loved it. I loved it and I hated it. The more successful the Stones became the more seriously they took themselves.”

“Why I left will be in my book. It certainly wasn’t because I didn’t like the rest of the band, or had a huge falling out, or anything like that. It’s much more personal than that.”

While he is planning a personal memoir, Mick – who was joined in the group by Sir Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts, Keith Richards and the late Ian Stewart – insists he will avoid the kind of salacious anecdotes featured in Keith’s recent autobiography, ‘Life’.

Speaking at the ‘Boogie for Stu’ concert held in memory of Ian at the Ambassador’s theatre in London last night (09.03.11), Mick said: “I jot down my memories all the time and have done for years in case I ever lose my mind.

“I don’t want to write the kind of book that will shock people, about the scandals, sex, drugs and rock and roll because Keith’s done that with his book.

“It’s a hard book to write. My time will come but it’s not yet.”

[www.bloginity.com]

<<He exclusively told BANG Showbiz<<
who would trust "bang showbiz" what a name !>grinning smiley<

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Mick Taylor promises Rolling Stones book
Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 22:15

Let´s wait to see it.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 10, 2011 22:15

SwayStones
“I don’t want to write the kind of book that will shock people, about the scandals, sex, drugs and rock and roll because Keith’s done that with his book.”

Phew! hot smiley

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: March 10, 2011 22:25

Looking forward to this. Let's hope he has a good co-author and a supportive editor - as opposed to a meddlesome one.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: March 10, 2011 22:29

Let's see what happen...

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:02

Mick's been talking about writing a book for a few years now. I'm not holding my breath. Any interested publishers will want dirt and he's trying to take the high road. Best of luck to him as always.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:06

I'll buy it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:38

Like Rocky mentioned he has been talking about the autobiography for years... He probably has difficulties to find the right "tone" or "angle" in it (not to mention a "right" publisher). Personally I hope he could follow the tone of Wyman's STONE ALONE. That book covered the Brian Jones years quite extensively. It would be nice to Taylor to continue there and cover the "Taylor years" with such a detail and fact-friendly manner. Leave the tabloid anecdotes, the sex/drugs/r&r-stuff and all that to story-teller, myth-maker Keith. Just give us a "boring" musician's description of the dynamics of the band in the work - who did and what and when and where and with whom, etc. Actually, Taylor was nearer to the core of the band as Bill was during those yaers (Bill seemingly lost his interest to the totally Mick and Keith-run band by the early 70's). Taylor's take on things would be one of its kind since he was an insider for those five years as much any of them was but still those years do not cover much of his adult life or of his career as a musician - so there would be also an outsider's point of view at the same time. An unique cocktail of point of views.

If Bill called his book as a "story of a little rock'n'roll band", Taylor could call it something like a "story of the greatest rock and roll band of the world". I find it interesting what he means by "the more successful the Stones became the more seriously they took themselves".

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-10 23:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:41

Rocky Dijon
Mick's been talking about writing a book for a few years now. I'm not holding my breath. Any interested publishers will want dirt and he's trying to take the high road. Best of luck to him as always.

.. the dirt is part of it..if he wants to tell it truthfully and honestly. I hope Taylor means he doesn't intend to disparage anybody with stupid meanspirited comments ...
if he'll just write it as well as he can ..lots of good stories can be told without smearing mud..
and make it about the music. He'll get it done.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 11, 2011 00:28

All they ever want is dirt...that's why Mick, Jerry and Anita had to bail on the idea of writing their memoirs, and half of Marianne's book was about the 5 years she was with Mick.

However, this is a great opportunity to settle the great Jagger todger controversy once and for all. From what I have read, our beloved Mick T could speak with some authority on this topic.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: March 11, 2011 00:35

SwayStones
While he is planning a personal memoir, Mick – who was joined in the group by Sir Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts, Keith Richards and the late Ian Stewart – insists he will avoid the kind of salacious anecdotes featured in Keith’s recent autobiography, ‘Life’.

Interesting that the author included Ian as a member of the group and left out Bill. I'm guessing Christin Fruehauf isn't the most devoted Stones fan.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 11, 2011 00:36

Bliss
All they ever want is dirt...that's why Mick, Jerry and Anita had to bail on the idea of writing their memoirs, and half of Marianne's book was about the 5 years she was with Mick.

However, this is a great opportunity to settle the great Jagger todger controversy once and for all. From what I have read, our beloved Mick T could speak with some authority on this topic.

<<“I don’t want to write the kind of book that will shock people, about the scandals, sex, drugs and rock and roll because Keith’s done that with his book.<<

I don't know Mr Taylor personally but I doubt he would write a book to bash & criticize the musicians that were part of the band.
So imo,if Mick Taylor writes a book,it will be all about the music and about some memories but nothing else.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:20

Bliss
From what I have read, our beloved Mick T could speak with some authority on this topic.
You're saying he has hands-on experience?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:37

He is a class act all the way. I would definitely buy this.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:42

treaclefingers

Me too! thumbs up

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:47

treaclefingers

first, I'd have to read it.smoking smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:49

I hope it's not limited to the Stones years; I'd like to read what he has to say about working with Dylan.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:52

Glam Descendant
I hope it's not limited to the Stones years; I'd like to read what he has to say about working with Dylan.

I'd be interested to hear any memories he has of the 60's, he knew and played with so many people.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 11, 2011 01:59

MKjan
treaclefingers

first, I'd have to read it.smoking smiley

He needs the bread...I'd buy it!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 11, 2011 02:17

Bliss
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 11, 2011 02:37

sweetcharmedlife
Bliss
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

It means the two Micks made sweet, beautiful "music" together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 03:54 by tatters.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 11, 2011 02:46

Last line is revealing, about it not being his time yet. Doesn't look like he actually has a book deal either, and coming out and saying he is not interested in writing about the sex and drugs means he probably won't get one. No publisher wants a book about how he came up with the Love In Vain solo (though I'd certainly buy that one!)

Date: March 11, 2011 03:08

you know i want to say nice things about mick taylor but he's really let us down here in the US.. twice or three times announced tour.. people bought tickets and he cancelled..moreover, the venues were often not given their guarantees back properly (u can find venue managers on micktaylor.net posting about how to get their guarantees back a year after cancellation! pitiful)

i used to defend taylor but in the end it seems like he's really his own worse enemy

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 11, 2011 03:32

71Tele
Last line is revealing, about it not being his time yet. Doesn't look like he actually has a book deal either, and coming out and saying he is not interested in writing about the sex and drugs means he probably won't get one. No publisher wants a book about how he came up with the Love In Vain solo (though I'd certainly buy that one!)

You think he's avoiding possibly irritating a certain guitarist prior to a certain band's certain last tour, fresh off his Plundered session? Not his time to write yet.....could mean "I don't want Keith mad at me for correcting his fictions or Mick irked at me commenting on how they took themselves way too seriously if we might get to work together in the next 2 years."

But yeah, an MT tome would be cool, especially if he got guitar geeky with us; some tabs, some tips on soloing and The Vibrato's development from HTW (1rst RS session) thru Brussels and TWFNoone.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 11, 2011 03:50

This could be interesting. I usually don't like these kinds of 'tell-alls', but MT seems to be classy. The fact that he mentions Keith's book as the kind of book he does not want to write speaks volumes. And MT had a more collborative musical relationship with Jagger than he did with Keith, so maybe MT's take on Mick will be more balanced.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 11, 2011 04:48

Doxa

I find it interesting what he means by "the more successful the Stones became the more seriously they took themselves".

that line caught my eye, too... could he mean it positively, as in they took their musical ambitions seriously, or is it just negatively, that their egos inflated?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 11, 2011 12:06

stupidguy2
This could be interesting. I usually don't like these kinds of 'tell-alls', but MT seems to be classy. The fact that he mentions Keith's book as the kind of book he does not want to write speaks volumes. And MT had a more collborative musical relationship with Jagger than he did with Keith, so maybe MT's take on Mick will be more balanced.

But the problem is that if Taylor reveals his account of his colloboration with Mick - making certain songs - and "tells it all" that might not sound very nice as far as as far as the credition policy goes... Would not probably do Jagger's reputation any good... I guess the problem with any person near to Jagger has diffuculties in recollection to not make Jagger "look bad" since Jagger's behavior - as far as I can see - is probably quite ruthless, especially when it is the question of the (music) business deals... I can also understand why Jagger being not being so eager in making autobiographies, and tell the "inner point of view" on things... (If I were Jagger I wouldn't tell either...) I recall Jagger having that idea of writing a script for a movie about the music business of the sixties. I guess that might be the closest we can hear from Jagger in reflecting his own experiences...

I think teh problem with Jagger is that he is not just a musician or a performer, an artist but a ruthless business man as well, and the latter part is very constituve part of his identity, but is very odds with his public role as a performer. Yeah, we all know he is a clever business man, and all that - and that is a part of his attraction - but if he would really "reveal" the business side of his job - how to make deals, how to manipulate things and people, to use people, to be ruthless, and opportunistic, and all that - I don't think that would do much good for him - who knows the importance of the image. Better people just to have a hazy idea of his "cleverness" in business but not any concrete knowledge of that...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 12:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 11, 2011 12:13

LoFL: with Doxa on board Mick T doesn't have to bother writing it himself spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

in fact it doesn't read like Mick T "promises a book" - more like he responded to a leading question like
"now that Bill, Ronnie and Keith have done it, where's *your* autobiography?"
and that his answer was a sidestep a la "it won't be soon and it won't be salacious"

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 11, 2011 12:27

I think a book by Mick Taylor would be more honest than Keiths' and Ronnies' books.As for ''Doesn't look like he actually has a book deal either''',the publishers will be queing up if he stated he was ready to write it, whatever the content.Any autobiography by a Rolling Stone is gonna sell.smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 12:45 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 11, 2011 13:22

Glam Descendant

and his time playing with jack bruce, not sure why that did not take off

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home