Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

what is this Super Heavy (group) thing around Jagger??
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 4, 2011 16:42

Can anyone tell me , is this a group?? and besides Jagger and Dave Stewart, who are in it??
I am curious.
Thanks
jeroen

Re: what is this Super Heavy (group) thing around Jagger??
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 4, 2011 16:43

Jeroen, Super Heavy is a "super group" Dave Stewart has been working on and off with Mick for the last few years. The project was created for an "entertainment platform" Nokia is supposed to launch.

I thought it might have been cancelled based on something Dave Stewart had said previously about not being sure if it would work out or not. As far as I know it has been about a year since he and Mick worked on it. Sessions began in June 2008. I'm only speculating that it may still be a work in progress based on the news that the two are back in the studio working.

Mick will sing some but not all of the songs as there are other vocalists involved. Mick and Joss Stone (also part of the group) cut a duet rumored to be a cover of Hendrix's "Angel" with Jeff Beck guesting on lead guitar. One of the Jagger-Stewart compositions that Mick does sing is supposed to be a song called "Run Me Down." The other members of the group beside Jagger, Stewart, and Stone are Damien Marley and Indian composer A. R. Rahman. I think another Marley kid might be involved as well. That's all I know but there are others on the board who actually speak to Dave Stewart and may know more details.

Date: March 4, 2011 16:51

thanks
jeroen

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 4, 2011 17:04

Okay I'll give the lowdown on the Super Heavy line-up :

on guitar : Gary Lee Conner

on bass : Van Conner

Date: March 4, 2011 17:11

Screaming Trees? Seriously?

Date: March 4, 2011 17:11

or is that a weight joke? Shame on you, dcba.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 4, 2011 17:20

corriecas
Can anyone tell me , is this a group?? and besides Jagger and Dave Stewart, who are in it??
I am curious.
Thanks
jeroen

You posted already about this last year: [www.iorr.org]

Did you forget? confused smiley

Date: March 4, 2011 17:48

Must be the red wine.
sorry

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 4, 2011 19:47

Rocky Dijon
or is that a weight joke? Shame on you, dcba.

Well I'm on the other side of the Atlantic ocean so I don't feel compelled to abide by PC rules.
In fact I just DLed a fine ST video (Essen'98) so the idea of a joke popped in my mind...

Date: March 4, 2011 20:22

Trust me anyone who jokes about owning Kate Hepburn and Pope John Paul II bobbleheads wasn't really offended.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: March 4, 2011 21:37

I think Stevie Nicks may be involved as well.

Date: March 4, 2011 22:33

What about Linda Ronstadt?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2011 23:14

What about Roberta Flack?

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 4, 2011 23:16

Matthew Sweet.

Date: March 5, 2011 02:37

Rocky Dijon
Jeroen, Super Heavy is a "super group" Dave Stewart has been working on and off with Mick for the last few years. The project was created for an "entertainment platform" Nokia is supposed to launch.

I thought it might have been cancelled based on something Dave Stewart had said previously about not being sure if it would work out or not. As far as I know it has been about a year since he and Mick worked on it. Sessions began in June 2008. I'm only speculating that it may still be a work in progress based on the news that the two are back in the studio working.

Mick will sing some but not all of the songs as there are other vocalists involved. Mick and Joss Stone (also part of the group) cut a duet rumored to be a cover of Hendrix's "Angel" with Jeff Beck guesting on lead guitar. One of the Jagger-Stewart compositions that Mick does sing is supposed to be a song called "Run Me Down." The other members of the group beside Jagger, Stewart, and Stone are Damien Marley and Indian composer A. R. Rahman. I think another Marley kid might be involved as well. That's all I know but there are others on the board who actually speak to Dave Stewart and may know more details.

If A.R. Rahman is involved, I expect this to have a slightly genericized percussive world beat sound to it. From a Jagger- Stewart collaboration, I do expect it to fall under the pleasant mid-tempo adult contemporary genre.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 5, 2011 02:41

Can anyone explain the name?

There is no way this music will be "super heavy" and just who in the Fvck is this Dave Stewart anyway?

Date: March 5, 2011 03:48

Guy who resembles Clapton who was the beard in the Eurythmics.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 5, 2011 10:07

Wry Cooter
Matthew Sweet.

I was quickly scrolling down through the replies on this topic and thought this one said Martha Stewart .confused smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 7, 2011 21:43

Great with Jeff Beck and Mick.

Date: March 7, 2011 21:58

That's from the Country Club in LA where the "Throwaway" video was taped. Strange to see it with Jeff Beck since I associate Mick playing this with Satriani and Jimmy Rip on his solo tour the following year. Same rhythm section, though. There's also a version of "Red House" floating around when Jagger joined Satriani onstage right before they left for Japan.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 7, 2011 22:37

Rocky Dijon
That's from the Country Club in LA where the "Throwaway" video was taped. Strange to see it with Jeff Beck since I associate Mick playing this with Satriani and Jimmy Rip on his solo tour the following year. Same rhythm section, though. There's also a version of "Red House" floating around when Jagger joined Satriani onstage right before they left for Japan.
Why didn't Jeff Beck go on tour with Jagger, was there any problem between them?

Date: March 7, 2011 23:09

Allegedly it was over money. I do recall that Jeff got his name on the bill as Special Guest when Mick played the Country Club. It was a weird time.

Roger Davies, who was managing Tina Turner tried putting Mick on the package tour with Bowie and Tina. Davies gets credited for some sort of consultant role on PRIMITIVE COOL (bit similar to Q-Prime on STEEL WHEELS). Mick started out the sessions in 1986 with the intent of doing a world tour as a solo artist. His cold feet seemed to have started from there.

Even when the album came out, there was a buzz that he might or might not tour. G. E. Smith was put in a bad position with not knowing whether to sign up for another season with Saturday Night Live or hold out for Jagger's tour. The tour talk died down around October 1987 (at the time of The Country Club gig). Mick was booked for SNL in November which was supposed to coincide with New York solo dates for the tour but cancelled.

Everything stayed quiet until January when suddenly the word was out about Satriani and Jagger was holed up at S. I. R. auditioning a back-up band. He kept the rhythm section from the album (and the Country Club show). Bernard and Jimmy Rip worked their asses off working out arrangements that Mick would use with the Stones for the next twenty years. I remember watching Jerry Hall on Letterman when Dave had her call Mick in the studio. Mick mentioned he was auditioning dancers and I remember cringing at the thought.

I was in high school at the time and remember picking up a video duped from MTV of the Deep Down Under special and going to see Keith and the Winos in concert and within nine months there was a new Stones album and I was watching them third row center stage. Postively surreal. Can't imagine anything like those days ever happening again, age and health notwithstanding.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 8, 2011 01:12

mtaylor
Rocky Dijon
Why didn't Jeff Beck go on tour with Jagger, was there any problem between them?

Asked for more money than Jagger was willing to pay. I remember him commenting on it in the papers at time, more or less suggesting that Jagger was a cheapskate who had made him a derisory offer.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 8, 2011 10:48

The super heavy thing around Jagger is that belt he used to wear during Midnight Rambler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1233
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home