Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

signed stones photo
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 22, 2011 23:30

I was watching an antiques programme today (yes I know it's sad), there was a guy who has been a lifetime fan for 45 years of the stones. He had signed a photo of them around between the buttons era, he said it was sent to him from the then fan club and he wanted to sell it. It was said by the experts that many photo's were signed by people at the fan club pretending to be the origional but how can you tell.

It was shown to many so called experts and they were split 50 / 50 so it went into the auction, they said it could fetch hundreds of pounds if it was real so he put a reserve of £700, it's highest bid was £450 so he took it home. I would say that in those days (even now) many photo's are signed by other people copying the origionals and with lots of practice they could look just like the real thing. My point is just how can you tell. I have a framed picture that was bought for me for £250 of Peter Cook and Dudly moore signed with a certificate saying it was real but knowone really knows.... sorry to ramble but what does anyone think about this? has anyone had any signed photo's of 'The real thing'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 23:38 by pgarof.

Re: signed stones photo
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 23, 2011 02:29

Signed vinyl LYL by the band (the last 4), and 2 by Mick Taylor.
and who the hell knows whether they are actually real?
If I ever meet Mick I'll ask him if he remembers signing it!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 23, 2011 02:33

I know that there was a time (maybe still is) when people in the fan club offices did the signing etc..
but I'd bet in the 60's they didn't pay too much attention to trying to duplicate the actual signature.

I also think that the Stones' signatures are fairly difficult to copy and fake ones
are usually pretty obvious. Jagger's & Wyman's are probably the easiest. But who knows....

Several years ago a local owner of a collectibles shop hired an art student (or someone) to
exactly duplicate Brett Favre's autograph. Thousands of dollars later....he got busted.

So...in the end.......who knows?
Even with Keith's recent signed autobiography giveaways there was some concern about
them being signed by an auto-pen. I'd guess that might be the more common "fraud". (??)

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 23, 2011 03:35

treaclefingers

LOL >grinning smiley<

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 23, 2011 07:10

If you see them sign it, then you know it's real!

Date: February 23, 2011 07:56

guitarbastard
treaclefingers

LOL >grinning smiley<

No, seriously, I would ask! smoking smiley

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 23, 2011 08:20

I would never pay for an autograph. The nice thing is trying to get it yourself.

Date: February 23, 2011 08:22

Harm
I would never pay for an autograph. The nice thing is trying to get it yourself.

I'd be too afraid that Keith would try to hit me with a guitar, or pull the blade on me.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 23, 2011 08:48

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home