Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RS 1970's Collectible at Restoration Hardware Stores
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 15, 2010 15:42

Ok...sorry if this has been posted. I checked...and didn't see anything.

I wandered into my local Restoration Hardware Store yesterday and saw some Stones T-Shirts
and a "box" that contained the Stones' '70s releases (CD). The CDs were in replica album sleeves
and not in plastic jewel boxes. I could not see if it was a full mini-album re-creation or merely
cardboard sleeves similar to the original vinyl LP sleeves. The Union Jack box also contained the
hardcover "According to the Rolling Stones book". I think the package was $176.

They seem to be "out of stock" online but there were a few in the store. T-shirts too (see pics).

[www.restorationhardware.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Re: RS 1970's Collectible at Restoration Hardware Stores
Date: December 15, 2010 16:45

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 15, 2010 16:50

Though well done I'm guessing Restoration Hardware was merely sold this concept by a third party who cobbled together:

A. Virgin era remasters in the card sleeves that came in the special editions released in 1994 and, though some titles rare, likely withdrawn after the UNI deal.

B. Overstock copies of According To The Rolling Stones which has been dirt cheap for several years and

Packaged them all together in the nifty box. If you paid $5 a copy for the book and a like amount for the discs via some wholesaler you have less than $50 into the actual media (book, CDs) plus the cost of designing and packaging the enclosure which, in short runs, could end up costing $15 each. Say you have $60 in materials and production all in and wholesale them to an upscale retailer Restoration Hardware for $100 which they would then mark up to say $150. The above appears to ake no mention of the selling price, only that it's sold out.

It is brilliantly done but I'm guessing was neither produced nor authorized by Stones,Inc.

Date: December 15, 2010 16:54

Ooops I stand corrected now that Sweet Neo Con posted the additional shots, The about the sleeves which appear to be facsimiles of the fronts, glued into the casing. This could be dodgy legally, I suppose, without proper licensing

Date: December 15, 2010 17:10

R
Ooops I stand corrected now that Sweet Neo Con posted the additional shots, The about the sleeves which appear to be facsimiles of the fronts, glued into the casing. This could be dodgy legally, I suppose, without proper licensing

The sleeves are not the Virgin replicas...they appear different..with the "u shaped" cut on top
to pull the CD out more easily (i guess). This difference might appeal to completists.
Oh...and the interior of the box (as I remember) is foam with cut out areas for disks and book.
Not "glued into the casing" as you speculated. It's difficult to tell from the pics.

Yes..R....you're probably right. Most of us likely got the book at a bargain price...and the disks
for $10-$15 each. The price for this set at Restoration Hardware was $176 I think.

Re: "This could be dodgy legally, I suppose, without proper licensing"

Seems legit...and unlikely that a place like Restoration Hardware would do something that dodgy.

I'll be at the mall again tonight (Christmas shopping)...I'll take a closer look.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-15 17:16 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 15, 2010 17:40

I never saw that one,snc .

It's also here :

[coolmaterial.com]

180 $

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 15, 2010 20:44

The $19.95 t-shirts are a rip at $49.

Date: December 15, 2010 21:08

24FPS
The $19.95 t-shirts are a rip at $49.

i like the '72 Jagger silhouette one (far right in above pic).

where can i get it for $19.95?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-15 21:10 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 16, 2010 01:45

Well, I would say Virgin Records, but they're gone. Maybe that's why things are so expensive, because there's less places to buy them. I will occassionally catch some really cool $7.50 T-shirts at Wal-Mart, a killer Hendrix one, and a great Marley one recently. And don't you think they're kind of throwing the word 'vintage' around? Wouldn't it had to have been available in that era to be vintage?

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: December 16, 2010 02:55

Yes it is official. It is produced by Bravado (the merchandising arm or Universal)

They are each numbered. From memory the number produced is 5,000.

Date: December 16, 2010 03:39

mattleeuk
Yes it is official. It is produced by Bravado (the merchandising arm or Universal)

yep..just back from the mall (again). Universal.

Also..the pictures that show the U-shape cut (for easy disk removal..I assume) are
inaccurate. There is no U-shaped cut on the album replicas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 03:40 by sweet neo con.

Date: December 16, 2010 03:50

Hey mattleeuk ....do you own this package?
If you do, should I assumed that it is still sealed??
Just wondering about the packaging of the individual CDs...
Not as detailed as the Virgin Special Editions..right?

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: December 16, 2010 06:35

No, I don't own one (yet). They are card sleeve CD's. I couldn't tell you anything else accurately as I haven't seen a finished product, just the first mock ups.

Date: December 16, 2010 15:52

mattleeuk

Whatever. I've seen these before, primarily from Europe, where somebody will throw a CD and some knick-knacks into a glorified cigar box and call it a special edition.

This one IS nice but for the life of me I can't imagine anyone getting it who doesn't already have all the components

Date: December 16, 2010 16:29

R
but for the life of me I can't imagine anyone getting it who doesn't already have all the components

i don't disagree. unless you're a serious collector that collects EVERYTHING....but I would be
tempted if they were full mini-LP replicas....Or especially if they were Deluxe (extra tracks) Editions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 17:34 by sweet neo con.

Date: February 13, 2011 23:50

Went to RESTORATION HARDWARE again today....the Stones Box (UMe) is now priced at $99.99.

Not bad...considering that the cd sleeves & the box are unique to this RH set.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home