Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones may not tour until next year.
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:45

Read this

[www.examiner.com]

Re: Stones may not tour until next year.
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:50

well, its only the writer's personal speculation, but it's reasonably logical.

As I said in the other thread, solo projects from auxiliary musicians wouldnt have ANY affect on the Stones' plans as a band.

Besides, their input on the band's LAST album was almost non-existent, so there's a precedent there.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:51

pgarof
Read this

[www.examiner.com]

No surprises there really, the article fits in with what you might yourself conclude from simply digesting everything else you hear/see. As it says, an album in 2011 possibly, but a tour unlikely ... much more likely in 2012, if at all.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:51

Sounds reasonable. Though current tours have them starting in the U.S. in the fall. There's still time. If there is nothing until 2012, I wouldn't be surprised to see Keith pick up an outside gig or two to get his stage legs back. This is about the longest he's gone without stagework voluntarily. From the end of the '82 European tour until his '88 solo work was the longest I believe.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:53

excerpt...

"Jones' work on his solo album raises further questions about any new Stones activity in 2011. Based on what Richards and Wood have said in their most recent interviews, the Rolling Stones had a band summit scheduled in December 2010, to discuss their future plans. Rolling Stones drummer Watts is launching a spring 2011 tour with his jazz band the A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie, so it has become obvious that the Stones do not have work commitments during this time that would conflict with the band members pursuing other projects.

Although it may still be possible for the Stones to release an album of new material in 2011, no Rolling Stones concert dates have been booked for 2011 as of now. Industry insiders are speculating that the Stones may wait until 2012 to tour, since that year will be the 50th anniversary of when the Stones became a band. Until then, it looks like the first half 2011 will not be the time when the Stones will be getting ready for a tour."

prolonging the inevitable..........................the announcement of the end.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 18:54 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:55

As Gazza says, its logical, it does seem to be the way its going though with everyone doing their own thing at the moment, but who knows, there is still time and they could put an album together this year then , well, as i said, who knows for sure. I suppose we can just keep speculating.

Date: January 21, 2011 19:34

Someone (I cant remember who) made a very logical statement on here a week or two ago by saying that as they marked their 40th anniversary in 2002 with a tour that STARTED in 2002 and ran into 2003, it follows that it would make more sense to start a 50th anniversary tour in 2012, instead of finishing it at that time.

Date: January 21, 2011 19:36

Gazza
Someone (I cant remember who) made a very logical statement on here a week or two ago by saying that as they marked their 40th anniversary in 2002 with a tour that STARTED in 2002 and ran into 2003, it follows that it would make more sense to start a 50th anniversary tour in 2012, instead of finishing it at that time.

Perfectly logical, makes sense. Whatever will be will be.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 21, 2011 21:12

Gazza

We're talking about 70 year old men here as opposed to almost 60 somethings in '02. The longer they wait the less likely ANYTHING will be to happen. Of course I want to see them again (and again) but I'm guessing at least some of them won't have their hearts in it.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 21, 2011 21:19

If they advertise a "Fiftieth Anniversary" tour, they would almost have to start next year.

Imagine, God forbid, starting the tour a year earlier and something happens.

Date: January 21, 2011 21:19

R
Gazza

We're talking about 70 year old men here as opposed to almost 60 somethings in '02. The longer they wait the less likely ANYTHING will be to happen. Of course I want to see them again (and again) but I'm guessing at least some of them won't have their hearts in it.

<<< I'm guessing at least some of them won't have their hearts in it >>>

Fair point, that's a distinct possibility of course.

Date: January 21, 2011 21:39

R

We're talking about 70 year old men here as opposed to almost 60 somethings in '02. The longer they wait the less likely ANYTHING will be to happen.

That's very true.

Date: January 21, 2011 22:21

R
Gazza

Agree 100%

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 21, 2011 22:28

i agree--completely--gazza

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 26, 2011 11:13

looks like Jagger does not want to.
and, like Gazza wrote, who can blame then.
I think,
they will have a few concerts in 2012 and then say Bye Bye Baby.
a shame, but understandable
bye jeroen

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 26, 2011 11:34

pgarof
Read this

[www.examiner.com]

Darryl Jones, who has been the bass player for the Rolling Stones since 1993, is working on his first solo album. In an exclusive interview with Examiner.com's Phyllis Pollack, Jones says that he hopes the album will be out by the summer of 2011.

In the interview, Jones also reveals that Rolling Stones backup singer Lisa Fischer will be on his still-untitled solo album, and that fellow Rolling Stones backup singers Blondie Chaplin and Bernard Fowler may also contribute. Jones says that another artist on the album will be Charley Drayton, who played percussion on the Rolling Stones' 1986 "Dirty Work" abum and who recorded and toured with the X-Pensive Winos, the side band of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards.

When asked what his solo album will sound like, Jones replied: "I mean, it’s stylistically the music of my childhood basically. I grew up listening to James Brown, Sly Stone, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Miles Davis, and there are some elements of all of those things. Curtis Mayfield. It’s the music that was a great era of music, the '60s and the '70s, so really it is influenced by all of the music of that time.

"I’m doing a lot of it. There are a lot of musicians on it. Lisa Fischer’s on the record, and hopefully Blondie [Chaplin] and Bernard [Fowler] will be on the record, Jeff Watts, Nino Cinelu will be on the record, just a lot of you know, a very diverse group of musicians. Charley Drayton’s on the record."

Jones took over for former Rolling Stones bass player Bill Wyman, who retired from the Rolling Stones in 1992, after 30 years of being in the band. Jones' status in the Rolling Stones is that of a salaried backup/touring musician, the status that guitarist Ronnie Wood had for several years after he joined the Stones in the mid-1970s, until Wood was made a full-fledged partner in the band in 1990.

Unlike Wood, Jones has not been part of the Rolling Stones' official group photos that appear on their merchandise, publicity materials or album covers. The only members of the band who have been in these official group photos since Wyman's departure are lead singer Mick Jagger, guitarists Wood and Richards and drummer Charlie Watts.

Before landing the highly coveted gig as the Rolling Stones' bass player, Jones worked with several other award-winning artists, including Herbie Hancock, Cher, Madonna, Sting, Miles Davis, Eric Clapton and Peter Gabriel.

Jones' work on his solo album raises further questions about any new Stones activity in 2011. Based on what Richards and Wood have said in their most recent interviews, the Rolling Stones had a band summit scheduled in December 2010, to discuss their future plans. Rolling Stones drummer Watts is launching a spring 2011 tour with his jazz band the A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie, so it has become obvious that the Stones do not have work commitments during this time that would conflict with the band members pursuing other projects.

Although it may still be possible for the Stones to release an album of new material in 2011, no Rolling Stones concert dates have been booked for 2011 as of now. Industry insiders are speculating that the Stones may wait until 2012 to tour, since that year will be the 50th anniversary of when the Stones became a band. Until then, it looks like the first half 2011 will not be the time when the Stones will be getting ready for a tour.

Jones' status in the Rolling Stones is that of a salaried backup/touring musician, the status that guitarist Ronnie Wood had for several years after he joined the Stones in the mid-1970s, until Wood was made a full-fledged partner in the band in 1990.

Side question: What is the story behind it, I mean, how did it work or what was the procedure to make Ronnie a full-fledged member of the band?

I mean, I know that for decades he was referred to as "the new one". But I don't recall any report how it worked to make him an "official" Stone.

Could anybody highlight me on this, please?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 26, 2011 12:11

Ronnie was reported only yesterday as saying "maybe next year", which is nothing if not vague.

[www.iorr.org]

Date: January 26, 2011 15:15

'Undone deal'......

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 26, 2011 17:40

dead.flowers
pgarof
Read this

[www.examiner.com]

Darryl Jones, who has been the bass player for the Rolling Stones since 1993, is working on his first solo album. In an exclusive interview with Examiner.com's Phyllis Pollack, Jones says that he hopes the album will be out by the summer of 2011.

In the interview, Jones also reveals that Rolling Stones backup singer Lisa Fischer will be on his still-untitled solo album, and that fellow Rolling Stones backup singers Blondie Chaplin and Bernard Fowler may also contribute. Jones says that another artist on the album will be Charley Drayton, who played percussion on the Rolling Stones' 1986 "Dirty Work" abum and who recorded and toured with the X-Pensive Winos, the side band of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards.

When asked what his solo album will sound like, Jones replied: "I mean, it’s stylistically the music of my childhood basically. I grew up listening to James Brown, Sly Stone, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Miles Davis, and there are some elements of all of those things. Curtis Mayfield. It’s the music that was a great era of music, the '60s and the '70s, so really it is influenced by all of the music of that time.

"I’m doing a lot of it. There are a lot of musicians on it. Lisa Fischer’s on the record, and hopefully Blondie [Chaplin] and Bernard [Fowler] will be on the record, Jeff Watts, Nino Cinelu will be on the record, just a lot of you know, a very diverse group of musicians. Charley Drayton’s on the record."

Jones took over for former Rolling Stones bass player Bill Wyman, who retired from the Rolling Stones in 1992, after 30 years of being in the band. Jones' status in the Rolling Stones is that of a salaried backup/touring musician, the status that guitarist Ronnie Wood had for several years after he joined the Stones in the mid-1970s, until Wood was made a full-fledged partner in the band in 1990.

Unlike Wood, Jones has not been part of the Rolling Stones' official group photos that appear on their merchandise, publicity materials or album covers. The only members of the band who have been in these official group photos since Wyman's departure are lead singer Mick Jagger, guitarists Wood and Richards and drummer Charlie Watts.

Before landing the highly coveted gig as the Rolling Stones' bass player, Jones worked with several other award-winning artists, including Herbie Hancock, Cher, Madonna, Sting, Miles Davis, Eric Clapton and Peter Gabriel.

Jones' work on his solo album raises further questions about any new Stones activity in 2011. Based on what Richards and Wood have said in their most recent interviews, the Rolling Stones had a band summit scheduled in December 2010, to discuss their future plans. Rolling Stones drummer Watts is launching a spring 2011 tour with his jazz band the A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie, so it has become obvious that the Stones do not have work commitments during this time that would conflict with the band members pursuing other projects.

Although it may still be possible for the Stones to release an album of new material in 2011, no Rolling Stones concert dates have been booked for 2011 as of now. Industry insiders are speculating that the Stones may wait until 2012 to tour, since that year will be the 50th anniversary of when the Stones became a band. Until then, it looks like the first half 2011 will not be the time when the Stones will be getting ready for a tour.

Jones' status in the Rolling Stones is that of a salaried backup/touring musician, the status that guitarist Ronnie Wood had for several years after he joined the Stones in the mid-1970s, until Wood was made a full-fledged partner in the band in 1990.

Side question: What is the story behind it, I mean, how did it work or what was the procedure to make Ronnie a full-fledged member of the band?

I mean, I know that for decades he was referred to as "the new one". But I don't recall any report how it worked to make him an "official" Stone.

Could anybody highlight me on this, please?

I seem to remember that Bill had helped Ronnie get a full share,but can't remember the details,due to my age and sleepless nights worrying about the will they/won't they tour question .Gazza ?

sc uk

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2011 17:46

Bill was instrumental in getting Ronnie made a full member. Unfortunately it coincided with Bill's own departure from the band.

Date: January 26, 2011 18:11

Ronnie became a full member when they signed the deal with Virgin in the early 90s - which Bill didnt sign as he was on the point of leaving the band.

In a sense, you could argue that Ronnie replaced Bill. Ronnie was a salaried employee from 1976 until that time. I think he was given the choice and opted for a long-term salary, presumably under the impression it would outlast the lifetime of the band.

The 'shareholders' (for want of a better term) side of things is a bit more complex, though. I think some other folks have a more in-depth analysis of how that works, but thats basically still just Mick, Keith and Charlie.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 26, 2011 18:18

ronnie replaced bill in several ways now that i think about it...chasin' young females....i suppose he'll be out there with a metal detector 'fore you know it...rock on, ronnie...

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 26, 2011 18:59

R
Gazza

Yes it is all logical except the 70 years of age thing. It's logic vs. not buying 'green bananas' when you reach a certain age because you never know when your off to Big Gig in the Sky.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 26, 2011 19:16

Gazza
'Undone deal'......
Where is Meekscary anyway?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:19

Rocky Dijon
Bill was instrumental in getting Ronnie made a full member. Unfortunately it coincided with Bill's own departure from the band.

So, we traded Bill for Ronnie? Gee, thanks Bill.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:46

Edith Grove
If they advertise a "Fiftieth Anniversary" tour, they would almost have to start next year.

Imagine, God forbid, starting the tour a year earlier and something happens.

Since 2011 is their 50th year as a band they could use the magical number 50 this year, however, if they are targeting their 50th anniversary year (2012) they would of course need to wait until next year.

When they toured for 40 Licks they actually didn't get started until August of 2002 which of course was during their 40th anniversary year. If they follow that same model for the next tour we won't see them until sometime in 2012.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 26, 2011 21:09

deadegad
R
Gazza

Yes it is all logical except the 70 years of age thing. It's logic vs. not buying 'green bananas' when you reach a certain age because you never know when your off to Big Gig in the Sky.

Tomorrow is promised to no one, not even the mighty Rolling Stones. Thought for sure Jack LaLanne would easily see 100 and then some.

Date: January 26, 2011 21:20

Gazza
Ronnie became a full member when they signed the deal with Virgin in the early 90s - which Bill didnt sign as he was on the point of leaving the band.

In a sense, you could argue that Ronnie replaced Bill. Ronnie was a salaried employee from 1976 until that time. I think he was given the choice and opted for a long-term salary, presumably under the impression it would outlast the lifetime of the band.

The 'shareholders' (for want of a better term) side of things is a bit more complex, though. I think some other folks have a more in-depth analysis of how that works, but thats basically still just Mick, Keith and Charlie.

I'd previously bookmarked a thread from a couple of years ago which gives some good insight into all of this :

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: January 26, 2011 22:57

sweetcharmedlife
Gazza
'Undone deal'......
Where is Meekscary anyway?

Wow. So happy I am so imporant to you and ALWAYS "top of mind".

Tour = done deal

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 26, 2011 23:17

Longer they wait, more difficult it will be to come back. If they come back in 2012, it will mostly not be a longer tour.
Jagger almost 70 will have bigger limits singing and runnig - and with about this he will not tour (mostly a few farwell / 50'th anniversary conserts in bigger cities).

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home