Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Farewell Tour 1971
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 4, 2011 10:45

Hi,

yesterday I read in Bill Wymans Book that the Stones played Can´t you hear me knocking duriung the 1971 tour ("farewell tour"). I really would love to hear this. Is there any source circulating? By the way: I only know the (great) Leeds bootleg from this tour. Is there anything else available?

Thanks in advance ...

Re: Farewell Tour 1971
Date: January 4, 2011 11:34

There is the Coventry show on a disc called "Do You Wanna Live With me" (DAC) or "Coventry (VGP).
Then they got to London and there is the Roundhouse show.
And last but certainly not least are the "Marquee Tapes".

The Marquee shows and Leeds are the best IMO. But 70 and 71 are tours I really love so I endorse them all.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: January 4, 2011 12:23

it's surprising that more recordings from this short tour haven't surfaced. there don't even seem to be that many photographs from these shows around either. anybody have any idea why this might be...?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 4, 2011 12:50

muenke -- There is no known recording of CYHMK from the '71 tour, but it was probably played a few times early on that tour, as indicated by Wyman and a couple of others.

Btw, I definitely think the Roundhouse show is a better performance than the Leeds gig. The latter is a little overrated because it's so widely available in good sound quality.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 4, 2011 13:08

The CYHMK-question has turned up quite a few times in the past (and no wonder, as makes for a fascinating topic)

You'll find two interesting comments from Erik and Gazza on this page (from a thread discussing the possibility of All Down The Line being played as an encore in 1970):

Track Talk: All Down The Line Page 3

Nevertheless, these are just well rounded assumptions, nothing more, as long as no recording turns up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-05 11:09 by Greenblues.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 4, 2011 13:27

Thank you very much folks, so it will remain a mystery, but there is hope for the future: Bill writes in his book, that three shows had been recorded with the stones mobile by glyn johnes (one of them was leeds). I´m sure that the vaults will open, at the latest when they decide not to record new stuff ...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2011 02:17

"I definitely think the Roundhouse show is a better performance than the Leeds gig"

+1 and Coventry beats the Roundhouse (imho).

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 5, 2011 06:16

The alleged '71 performance(s?) of CYHMK brings to mind the possible single performance of "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" by Dylan in Salt Lake City in the mid-70s -- conflicting stories from participants, no agreement among the pros, and no recorded evidence. Someday maybe.

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong about firm evidence, e.g., a recording of "Lily..."

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 6, 2011 00:29

I remember reading a review of one of the 1971 shows, possible Newcastle or Manchester in one of the british music papers. I think it was Melody Maker or possibly sounds. The guy reviewing the show said they played some new songs including "You've got to fix it" which can only be Bitch and he also them playing mentioned "Can't you hear me knocking". I have a strange feeling he also mentioned "Wild Horses" being played but I could be very wrong. Maybe someone has this review in their archives, I'm 80% sure it was Melody Maker?

Also, if I remember correctly. During the rehearsals for the licks tour, Jagger was aprehensive about playing the tune as they had tried it once on stage before and it was a trainwreck.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 6, 2011 00:39

Apart from the Marquee show - does any footage from 71 exist?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 6, 2011 01:49

vudicus - think you are right. Think Wild Horses was played but dropped as the audience didn't respond too well to it.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 01:55

klrkcr
Apart from the Marquee show - does any footage from 71 exist?

There is some silent backstage footage from what has to be GB 71...I posted it on another Stones message board and since then, I've tried to find it again with no luck. I accidentally stumbled upon it while randomly googling Stones stuff. The background music is Brown Sugar....It shows Anita, Bianca, some other musicians and blew my mind the first time i saw.....its not that long, and as far as i know, its rare. I'll try to track it down, or if someone with greater computer skills than I can try....It was listed on a blog....the key word was brown sugar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 01:56 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 6, 2011 02:02

stupidguy2 - thanks.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 6, 2011 02:20

There's also a short interview with Bill and Charlie outside one of the venues prior to one of the shows. It's an extra on the latest "Stones in the Park" dvd. They are asked about having to move to France due to tax problems.

Date: January 6, 2011 02:23

klrkcr
stupidguy2 - thanks.

Still looking ....no luck. I think I found it when I was skimming images and it directed to a blog....but I guess its been taken down. Its exists...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2011 12:02

Not really "footage" but D.Tarlé took amazing pix of that "Farewell" tour..

Date: January 7, 2011 00:09

dcba
Not really "footage" but D.Tarlé took amazing pix of that "Farewell" tour..

Its those photos that lead me to believe the footage is from 71....its the same people, vibe.
I've looked on youtube with every key word I can think of....its out there.
Who can find it first?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home