Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T: grand funk railroad
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 2, 2011 19:34

I listened to their double "Live album". Never really liked them years ago, But I changed my mind. Great guitars !
is there someone who can tell me, which Album is worth to buy?

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: O.T: grand funk railroad
Date: January 2, 2011 21:13

Havo, they are pretty...there's just something kind of thick skulled about them. Unison, loud, repetition are words that come to mind. I really don't like what they did once they added the organ player. But "Closer to Home" is a good one. "Survival" is the one with "Gimme Shelter" on it. I actually first heard that song by GFR. for many months that was the only version I knew.
But I think "E Pluribus FunK" is the best album by them. Has good short songs. They did not do so well on long songs because there was no guitar solo-ist. E Pluribus has great hooks, and as always Mel Schachter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-03 02:10 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 2, 2011 21:26

Survival is the best one IMO Havo. It's got a slight country/soul feel to it. Heavy version of Gimme Shelter and version of Traffic's Feelin' Alright too.

Date: January 2, 2011 21:35

the song "bad time" will get stuck in your head for the next decade

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: January 3, 2011 00:06

Check out LIVE: THE 1971 TOUR. Highly recommended.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 3, 2011 00:52

At their best...
"

?

Mark, Don & Mel!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-03 00:54 by BluzDude.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 3, 2011 03:46

I was at this show at MSG... Junior year in high school

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 3, 2011 06:24

Heartbreaker is a great track; probably IMO the only one they ever recorded.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 3, 2011 06:42

good band - much maligned in their time - unfairly, imo. cool version of gimme shelter they did.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 3, 2011 15:07

I like their Gimme Shelter cover a lot, which one I also got to know before I learned about the original version.

And, for some reasons, maybe because I heard it so often then in my very young days, and, of course, for the children's voices, I like this tune:-

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 3, 2011 16:05

This thread is taking me back,spent many,many hours listening to these guys,used to buy their lps as soon as they came out.I like Survival best,but,Closer to Home & Live are not far behind...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 3, 2011 19:29

Don last seen drumming for Bob Seger, another Detriot rocker.

Date: January 3, 2011 19:34

something about these transportation midwest band's shortening their names. GF dropped railroad from its moniker off and on. and then there's the dropping of "transit authority" from chicago....i liked it better with the transportation component fully attached...

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 3, 2011 20:00

keefriffhard4life
the song "bad time" will get stuck in your head for the next decade

As will "Foot Stompin' Music."

Date: January 3, 2011 20:33

StonesTod
something about these transportation midwest band's shortening their names. GF dropped railroad from its moniker off and on. and then there's the dropping of "transit authority" from chicago....i liked it better with the transportation component fully attached...

i thought chicago changed their name either because another band had the name of the chicago transit authority threatened to sue

Date: January 3, 2011 20:36

keefriffhard4life
StonesTod

i thought chicago changed their name either because another band had the name of the chicago transit authority threatened to sue

that sounds vaguely familiar. GF dropped the R for legal reasons, too. I think the Rolling Stones were originally dubbed the Rolling Stones Van Lines....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 4, 2011 04:17

Fun band in that Foghattish kind of way. Then they got hyped beyond their abilities. Mark, Don & Mel, 'bigger than the Beatles' claim manager Terry Knight. Yeah, right. But they did have some monster hits, although by then they weren't taken as seriously.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home