Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

100 Club threatened with closure
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 22, 2010 18:01

Closure Threat To 100 Club

[www.thisislondon.co.uk]

ITS stage has seen the West End debuts of Oasis, the Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Buzzcocks, while Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Mick Jagger and Paul Weller can still sometimes be glimpsed in the audience.

Yet the 100 Club in Oxford Street - described by Aerosmith's Joe Perry as "the finest rock'n'roll club in the world" - could close within a few months because of soaring overheads unless it can find a buyer. Its rates bill has hit £4,000 a month and landlord Lazari Investments now charges rent, with VAT, of £166,000 a year.

The cellar club's owner, Jeff Horton, said: "It makes me so angry. The Government, Westminster council and even some of the commercial landlords say they want to help small businesses, they say they want to preserve London's uniqueness, they want to help multi-cultural venues.

"Yet we're all that and all these organisations have all dumped on us from a great height." His father started running the venue in 1964, but it opened in 1942 as a jazz club.

Mr Horton sees few alternatives to closure after Lazari raised the rent by 45 per cent. "In 1985, when I took over, the rent was barely £11,000 In the US the rents are frozen at certain venues that have a bit of heritage. Here it's a total free-for-all."

He added: "What the 100 Club needs is a buyer or major sponsor to step forward. Barring that, we're closing at Christmas despite being as popular as ever. It really is insane."

Re: 100 Club threatened with closure
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 22, 2010 18:17

No No No No No No No ................ !!!!

This is one of THE London venues ... it would break Londoners' hearts if this were to go. O dear o bloody dear, a tragedy in the making.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 22, 2010 18:37

I've been lucky enough to have been there a couple of times.

Hate to see it go.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: September 22, 2010 21:09

Oh christ, they can't close this place down. It's a legendary, fabulous London music venue, and like the owner says, it's as popular as ever, it's just the increase in rates and rent that is killing it. I know the feeling...

Fingers crossed that someone steps in to help.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: September 22, 2010 21:33

This is indeed madness, it musn't be allowed to go the way of the Marquee, the Astoria etc...

Here are some gigs on at the 100 Club between now and the end of the year......and let's hope that's not the end of the club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-22 22:08 by Manofwealthandtaste.

Date: September 22, 2010 22:04

Mr Jimmy
it's as popular as ever, it's just the increase in rates and rent that is killing it.

If that's the case, then what can be done?

If the business can't be profitable due to high rent, etc., then what can be done if the place is already packing the people in most nights?

Perhaps the property owner wants a percentage of the business or a new (more profitable) business at that location?

Date: September 22, 2010 22:15

hopefully due to the press this story is generating in the UK media tonight, something will be done to preserve this heritage site.
A similar situation arose at the end of last year, with the Half Moon, and thankfully that terrific venue was saved at the 11th hour.

I'm keeping my fingers and everything else crossed.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 22, 2010 22:20

Adrian-L
Closure Threat To 100 Club

[www.thisislondon.co.uk]

ITS stage has seen the West End debuts of Oasis, the Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Buzzcocks, while Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Mick Jagger and Paul Weller can still sometimes be glimpsed in the audience.

Yet the 100 Club in Oxford Street - described by Aerosmith's Joe Perry as "the finest rock'n'roll club in the world" - could close within a few months because of soaring overheads unless it can find a buyer. Its rates bill has hit £4,000 a month and landlord Lazari Investments now charges rent, with VAT, of £166,000 a year.

The cellar club's owner, Jeff Horton, said: "It makes me so angry. The Government, Westminster council and even some of the commercial landlords say they want to help small businesses, they say they want to preserve London's uniqueness, they want to help multi-cultural venues.

"Yet we're all that and all these organisations have all dumped on us from a great height." His father started running the venue in 1964, but it opened in 1942 as a jazz club.

Mr Horton sees few alternatives to closure after Lazari raised the rent by 45 per cent. "In 1985, when I took over, the rent was barely £11,000 In the US the rents are frozen at certain venues that have a bit of heritage. Here it's a total free-for-all."

He added: "What the 100 Club needs is a buyer or major sponsor to step forward. Barring that, we're closing at Christmas despite being as popular as ever. It really is insane."

I work as a commercial surveyor and it might be that the club can apply for a reduction in rates.....although this is linked to the rent payable. Rents cannot be arbitrarily raised. At rent review the rent increase should be in line with current market rents for similar properties in similar locations. It sounds to me as if Mr Horton didn't invest in the services of a decent surveyor as market rents haven't increased in the last two/three years. It also depends as to when the last rent review took place and what the terms and conditions are within the lease pertaining to the rent review.....

I only hope that the club can survive as it's a great venue.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: September 23, 2010 00:25

God SaVe tHe CLuB

Date: September 23, 2010 00:58

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 23, 2010 01:12

Had a really good time there...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 23, 2010 01:26

Disaster. This place is like home - been going to gigs there for decades. It's still old school, which is what makes it one of the best.

And yes, that was a good time, Vilhelm - especially Midnight Rambler, as I recall....winking smiley

Date: September 23, 2010 10:40

Manofwealthandtaste
This is indeed madness, it musn't be allowed to go the way of the Marquee, the Astoria etc...

Here are some gigs on at the 100 Club between now and the end of the year......and let's hope that's not the end of the club.

and The Pretty Things are playing on friday 17th December, closely followed by
Wilko Johnson on New Years Eve.

Date: September 25, 2010 12:22

It's in the papers this morning ..............

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 25, 2010 14:22

God, I hope this legendary venue can be saved. I've paid 3 - should've been 4, actually - visits and I hoping for more.

Date: September 25, 2010 14:58

paulywaul
It's in the papers this morning ..............

[www.independent.co.uk]

This article makes it sound like it is virtually a done deal that this place will close without last-minute intervention.

Just an idea, but could the club's status somehow be changed to a "private club" where anyone who wants to attend would have to purchase a membership to enter?

I'm asking this because I know that in some "dry" (no alcohol) counties in the U.S., private clubs are established in order to get around the alcohol laws, and I assume that taxes are not collected or collected at a much lower rate.

Would a similar situation work in the U.K. where the club's status could be changed to "private," thus allowing the club to operate without the burden of heavy regulation, taxes, fees, etc.?

Date: September 29, 2010 10:44

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 29, 2010 10:50

" The Clash's Mick Jones has given his support to campaigns opting to help save London's 100 Club from closing.

The guitarist admitted that the London venue, which faces closure due to spiralling overhead costs, would be "greatly missed".

"I'm sorry to hear it might be closing," Jones told SpinnerMusic.co.uk. "It will be greatly missed if it closes. Someone should start a campaign to save it."

A campaign, which has over 10,000 members, already exists on Facebook, with the guitarist also adding that he would help out if asked.

"If someone's going to do something and I'm available then I'd love to help," he explained. "You have to balance it with the fact that life changes, but I'd love to help."

The basement venue on Oxford Street has seen performances from the likes of Oasis, David Bowie, Bob Dylan and Queens Of The Stone age. It was also the scene of one of the defining moments of the British punk movement, hosting a special two-day festival featuring the likes of the Sex Pistols and The Clash in September 1976. "

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Date: November 4, 2010 12:22

Mick Jagger rolls in to rescue the 100 Club

[www.thisislondon.co.uk]

Louise Jury, Chief Arts Correspondent

Mick Jagger is backing a fight to save one of London's legendary live venues - even though the Rolling Stones were not allowed to play there in the band's early days.

The singer said it was important for the future of live music that the 100 Club in Oxford Street should survive. The cellar venue is threatened with closure because the rent has soared to £4,000 a month plus overheads.

A Save the 100 Club campaign this week saw stars including Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream, Johnny Borrell of Razorlight, Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols and Radio 2 DJ Janice Long plead for its survival.

After learning of the threatened closure through the Evening Standard, Sir Mick, 67, added his name to the bid to save the venue where performers such as Oasis, The Clash, Muddy Waters and Humphrey Lyttelton have appeared.

He said: "This is really bad news if another great venue is threatened with closure. There's a real need for these places - they have a connection with the past. And what is important is that you have places where bands can cut their teeth and places of a certain intimacy and size, that new bands can experiment in. There aren't that many great places in London, or indeed any city, that you can say that about."

But Sir Mick added: "We never played the 100 Club when we first started. We couldn't get a gig." It was only in the Eighties that they performed in its cellar, notably in 1986 with a benefit for their late keyboard player Ian Stewart. "It was good to play there, because we had never done it."

Supporters are now trying to raise £500,000 towards paying off creditors of owner Jeff Horton - whose family have run the venue for nearly half a century - and to provide enough working capital to ensure it stays open. If successful, the lease would be taken over by the campaign and the club run as a charitable or non-profit-making venture.

Stones Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor are to play a benefit gig on December 1. Jagger will be away. Other names are being lined up to play a fundraiser on November 25.

Date: November 4, 2010 12:28

A fundraising concert on Nov 25th is being finalised at the moment, special guests etc expected to be announced soon...

Date: November 4, 2010 12:57

[www.express.co.uk]

DRUMMER CLEM’S MISSION TO SAVE THE 100 CLUB

DRUMMING legend Clem Cattini has called for rich rockers to save the iconic 100 Club in London, which is under threat of closure due to debts.

The 73-year-old session musician spoke to us at the launch of the Save The 100 Club campaign at the Gibson Guitar Studios in the capital’s West End.

The campaign already has support from the Sex Pistols’ Glen Matlock, DJ Janice Long and Ken Livingstone.
In December Stones guitarists Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor will join a glittering line-up at the venue raising awareness of its plight.

And Clem, who has played for Cliff Richard and Lou Reed among others, fears for the future of live music as another venue faces the axe.

“Where are young people supposed to play? Unfortunately the current Government and the last one don’t care about our musical heritage.

“Why can’t some of the rich guys help out? Lots of these guys started off playing at the 100 Club, it would be easy for them.”

Posted by: Strider ()
Date: November 4, 2010 20:21

sounds like the same fate as CBGB's in New York City

Bummer sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-04 21:09 by Strider.

Date: November 4, 2010 22:40

hopefully today's publicity, and Mick's statement will add much needed momentum to the campaign.

Date: November 16, 2010 11:13

Date: November 25, 2010 13:54

yet another one, set to bite the dust.

This time, it's The fantastic Luminaire ....

[www.clashmusic.com]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: December 22, 2010 18:24

Hello,

Bit of pre-Xmas good news...I hope it's true. From the BBC6 Music Twitter feed:

"100 club is saved. We spoke to owner who told us a "secret investor" is stepping in and it's a brand, though name of venue will not change."

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 22, 2010 19:36

SimonN
Hello,

"100 club is saved. We spoke to owner who told us a "secret investor" is stepping in and it's a brand, though name of venue will not change."

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Si.

Finally someone opens his wallet....the only way to save the club, despite all the fantastic efforts

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 22, 2010 22:17

Harm
SimonN
Hello,

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Si.

Finally someone opens his wallet....the only way to save the club, despite all the fantastic efforts

6 Music said something like: It's somebody who's been involved from the start of the campaign: it's a brand that will fit in well with the club's image, and we think that people will be very pleasantly surprised when they find out who it is (in the New Year). Your guess is as good as mine....

Date: December 22, 2010 22:23

Green Lady
Harm
SimonN
Hello,

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Si.

6 Music said something like: It's somebody who's been involved from the start of the campaign: it's a brand that will fit in well with the club's image, and we think that people will be very pleasantly surprised when they find out who it is (in the New Year). Your guess is as good as mine....

I know .... it's a geezer called Mick (I used to be a Rolling Stone but now I don't give a s**t anymore) Jagger !! Yippee !!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 3, 2011 13:22

Any news?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home