Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards and the ARChive of Contemporary Music in New York
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 19, 2009 00:48

Came across this link by accident: looks like Keith has found himself a new sideline as a Blues historian!

[www.arcmusic.org]

Keith Richards Blues Collection
In this the "Year of the Blues" the ARChive is proud to announce the acquisition of its first Robert Johnson original 78 recording, "Me and The Devil Blues"/"Little Queen of Spades." (Vocalion, 04108, 78rpm, 10", 1937).

Johnson (1911-1938) is the seminal bluesman, his music the launching pad for countless blues-tinged careers in the 60s, mince for titanic soul-struggles and ground zero for the badboy style of all the puffs and doggs that followed.

This disc is one of the eleven known 78s released before Johnson's death. The first, "Terraplane Blues," was his most popular, selling maybe 5000 copies. Ours was recorded in the back room of a warehouse in Dallas, Johnson's final recording session (he only had two) on June 20, 1937. It's hard to believe that few people had ever heard Johnson's music until 1961 when Columbia released the "King of the Delta Blues Singers" LP. By the way, there are only 10-15 copies of "Me and The Devil Blues" known to exist, and we're proud to preserve one here at the ARChive.

This disc was purchased through the generous donation of Keith Richards, and is part of the Keith Richards Blues Collection here at the ARChive.

Mr. Richards is a member of the ARChive's Board of Advisors and has been funding a dedicated collection of blues here at the ARC for the past few years. His help has been invaluable in acquiring and cataloging this important collection here at the library. So far we've catalogued nearly 5000 LPs and CDs in our collection. While it's a thrill to see the 70 John Lee Hooker LPs in a tidy batch, the real fun is the obscurata like Bobby Bland's Ain't Nothing You Can Do (Duke, DLP 78) with the great cover by René (pictured), seven British Alexis Korner LPs, including, Red Hot (Transatlantic, TRA 117, UK) and within the forty-two 10" and 12" Leadbelly LPs, I'm Never Gone, (Folk Art, FLP 5004) with his death certificate on the cover.

Our simple goal it to assemble a top-notch Blues collection at the ARChive, second to none.

Re: Keith Richards and the ARChive of Contemporary Music in New York
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2009 01:11

Good news ...Nice to know ...... Many thanks Green Lady

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 19, 2009 01:16

Nice one - thanks, GL!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 19, 2009 01:31

Interesting . .
Thanx!

Does anybody have some knowledge about this "ARC" ?!
Is it well known?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 19, 2009 01:46

Can't say I'd heard of it (but then I live across the pond, so I wouldn't have). Here's their website:

[www.arcmusic.org]

- and an interesting blog detailing their activities:

[arcmusic.wordpress.com]

Looks like a very worthwhile organisation.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: December 30, 2010 03:45

This disc is one of the eleven known 78s released before Johnson's death

Proud to say I got all of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home