Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
100 years or more from now, how will the Stones be remembered?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 8, 2010 16:55

I heard a contrast today on tv of the Beatles to Beethoven but it had me thinking about the Stones as well.

Will the Stones be revered 100 or more years from now as is Beethoven or even Mozart is today? Will they have a lasting legacy? Time only knows.

Re: 100 years or more from now, how will the Stones be remembered?
Posted by: mattty973 ()
Date: December 8, 2010 16:58

Yes

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 8, 2010 16:59

Remembered? They will plan their next, i.e. last tour, promote their new album etc. Business as usual ...

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:05

They have to be remembered because they are the main way to describe the crossover of music from "race music" to commercial charts. Without mentioning the Stones you are left with a missing link.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:14

100 years from now, the Stones will be remembered as the band in the Gimme Shelter movie.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:19

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:21

will be interesting to find out. let's remember to revive this thread in 2110....

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:26

They will be remembered. Not like Beethoven, though, since he was doing something different. I like to think that closer comparisons are with the troubadours and trouvères. Maybe somewhere between troubadours and jongleurs.

Where they have a big advantage over earlier counterparts is that we'll be able to hear them as they were a million years from now.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:34

The Sicilian
I heard a contrast today on tv of the Beatles to Beethoven but it had me thinking about the Stones as well.

Will the Stones be revered 100 or more years from now as is Beethoven or even Mozart is today? Will they have a lasting legacy? Time only knows.

Even Mozart? Mozart is generally considered as the greatest of them all, maybe only equalled by the great Bach.

As for the Stones it is difficult to say if they will be remembered after 100 years. Maybe as a cultural phenomenon, but also their music? I doubt it. The big difference with the great classical composers (who are immortal) is the fact that those composers wrote music that has to be played just the way they wrote it (well, of course differences in tempi etc., but that's all). The Stones created their music by playing it themselves. Coverbands are no alternative. So their work can't be played by others like the works of the classical composers. Conclusion: will their CD's, DVD's and bootlegs survive the ages? I don't think so. I predict that even the works of the Beatles and Dylan will disappear for the same reasons. The Beatles are until now a symbol of their era and its musical/cultural inheritance, representing the Stones and all others. In that way they surpass their own status.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:40

kleermaker
Even Mozart? Mozart is generally considered as the greatest of them all, maybe only equalled by the great Bach.

That's debatable. Beethoven is often ahead of Mozart on the greatest lists. But to each their own.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:43

The Sicilian
Will the Stones be revered 100 or more years from now as is Beethoven or even Mozart is today? Will they have a lasting legacy?

Yes; the rock musicians are the great musicians of the 20th century. I predict that many of the classical composers of previous centuries, like the two mentioned, will have less status in the future than they have now.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:43

The way the music industry is going, I think it would be a wonder if anybody will be remembered 100 years from now.

Posted by: Damon ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:46

will there be a 100 years from now ? I am not sure if there will be and if there is people will probably be interested in survival. Not so sure music is going to matter in 100 years from now, especially rock pop ect...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:47

They'll still be touring...

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 8, 2010 17:51

in 500 years this will all be mythology, and people will have trouble believing that ordinary mortals were allowed to witness it.
tucked in among the major cycle of legends will be little stories about the ones who heard -
who heard the music and let it do things to them - who let themselves be moved,
and whose spirits are still shining and singing, knowing they are blessed

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 8, 2010 18:07

Hopefully they'll get the facts correct...

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: December 8, 2010 19:16

schillid
Hopefully they'll get the facts correct...

hahahaha

maybe someone will sing "it seem about a hundred years ago"

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 8, 2010 20:01

I think they will be seen among a group of artists, like the Impressionists. At least the 1960s model. Where it gets complicated is that they survived and thrived after the 60s, unlike most of the other major groups. The Brian Jones Stones will be viewed as this almost foppish, Edwardian group. They will be hard to pigeonhole because of the wide array of music they played. The 70s version will be seen as even more decadent. I don't think people will look at their post 'Start Me Up' period with much interest.

Date: December 8, 2010 21:02

I don't think people will look at their post 'Start Me Up' period with much interest.[/quote]

For history's and eternal fame's sake they better all quit in 1974.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 8, 2010 21:30

as "the ones with that Satisfaction song"

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 8, 2010 21:37

Let me jump into the ol' TARDIS and I'll get back to you...Well, what do you know? There is a statue of Dartford's favorite sons in the Towne Center and there music plays constantly in the media devices embedded in everyone's head! They've become more than a religion, They're a way of life!

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: December 8, 2010 21:55

The Sicilian

One hundred years from now they will still be talking about the miracle tour of 2011-2012! How near 70 year old geezers turned back the clock to the glory days of their youth! True greatness stands the test of time, every time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 8, 2010 22:19

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: December 8, 2010 23:45

schillid
They'll still be touring...

LMAOOOOOOO!! Good one Schillid!!

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: December 9, 2010 00:05

Stones' legacy go beyond our acknowledgement. I think we understimate their legacy because we're living their era. In 100 years they, surely, will be remembered. My take is that albums like B2B, ABB, etc. will be much more appreciated.
Same as artist and athletes from the past are now being inmortalized.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 9, 2010 00:31

they will be revered like Louis Armstrong is nearly 100 years later....legendary and important musical figures

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 9, 2010 00:34

The big problem with the legacy issue for all rock bands compared with classical music I think is this; with classical music any bunch of decent musicians can get up and play Beethoven, Mozart etc...These people always wrote with the view to having other people deliver the actual music to the audience. Rock bands of course don't use that process rather writing with the view to delivering the goods themselves. Basically a whole different creative dynamic....this approach of not making the composer a requisite allows the music to carry on indefinately at possibly 100% of it's proposed potential but rock music...well as Mick said it's the singer not the song. Of course if there are still guitar bands doing their thing in a hundred years they'll probaly be writing songs pertinant to their times so anyone who does play Stones stuff live will still be doing tribute stuff in competition with living bands. Personally I think there will still be Stones stuff being played on radios or whatever the 22nd century equivalent is and bands will probaly do covers mixed in with their chosen sets but on the scale the Stones do it now ? or even on the scale classical music is played in top venues around the world....well the presentation of Stones music without Mick & Keith will IMO always be lacking so not a great pull....it's a sad conclusion but it looks like if I'm right that individual rock songs might have a very short shelf life especially on the live side of things which of course is easily 50% of the attraction.......

Date: December 9, 2010 01:03

EddieByword
The big problem with the legacy issue for all rock bands compared with classical music I think is this; with classical music any bunch of decent musicians can get up and play Beethoven, Mozart etc...These people always wrote with the view to having other people deliver the actual music to the audience. Rock bands of course don't use that process rather writing with the view to delivering the goods themselves. Basically a whole different creative dynamic....this approach of not making the composer a requisite allows the music to carry on indefinately at possibly 100% of it's proposed potential but rock music...well as Mick said it's the singer not the song. Of course if there are still guitar bands doing their thing in a hundred years they'll probaly be writing songs pertinant to their times so anyone who does play Stones stuff live will still be doing tribute stuff in competition with living bands. Personally I think there will still be Stones stuff being played on radios or whatever the 22nd century equivalent is and bands will probaly do covers mixed in with their chosen sets but on the scale the Stones do it now ? or even on the scale classical music is played in top venues around the world....well the presentation of Stones music without Mick & Keith will IMO always be lacking so not a great pull....it's a sad conclusion but it looks like if I'm right that individual rock songs might have a very short shelf life especially on the live side of things which of course is easily 50% of the attraction.......

Eddy, why not just quoting my post and saying 'Agreed'? That's so much easier.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 9, 2010 01:33

kleermaker
EddieByword

Eddy, why not just quoting my post and saying 'Agreed'? That's so much easier.
Great minds think alike....seriously ..I hadn't read your post....I'd just skipped through a few of them...agreed though, it would have been easier if I had, (I'll have to watch that) Cheers ...Eddie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-09 01:57 by EddieByword.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 9, 2010 02:02

In 2110, people will learn about rock and roll from Ken Burns-style PBS documentaries. Some old, out-of-work actor will provide the narration: "In 2005, the ancient Rolling Stones, who 40 years earlier had been the Beatles chief competitors, toured with their most spectacular live show ever. No one had ever seen anything quite like it before". Then they'll interview some 112-year-old guy who is believed to be the last living person to have actually seen the Rolling Stones: "My grandparents took me to see them! Oh, my goodness gracious! You never saw anything like it! They had a 20-story apartment building, right there on the stage! And there were people in all the windows, watching the concert! And when they played Sympathy For The Devil, flames shot 500 feet into the air! And the heat from the flames was so great, people sitting in the first few rows were incinerated! Burnt to a crisp! Right before my eyes! No one had ever seen anything quite like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-10 01:55 by tatters.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home