Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger: The Photobook
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 7, 2010 23:23

A new book on Jagger
Publisher: Contrasto (May 1, 2011)

Product Description
This book gathers the most beautiful pictures of the legendary Mick Jagger, taken by some of the greatest photographers in the world. His extremely distinctive face has made him the archetypal rock star: Mick Jagger is universal. His physique and the way he moves have helped fashion the myth of the über-sexy male celebrity. His mouth has become the emblem of his band The Rolling Stones. His face alone narrates fifty years of portrait photography practice, our relationship with celebrities, evolving dress and hair codes, and the creation of the rock aesthetic. Doing more than just recording this character of high dramatic intensity is the real challenge that portraitists, it seems, have been tackling for the past fifty years.

About the Author
Francois Hébel: Director of the Rencontrs d'Arles.

[www.amazon.com]

Re: Mick Jagger: The Photobook
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 7, 2010 23:38

looks very nice -
the Department of Historical Accuracy hopes the editors get their facts a little straighter before publication, though :E

His mouth has become the emblem of his band nah ...

Date: December 7, 2010 23:52

with sssoul
looks very nice -
the Department of Historical Accuracy hopes the editors get their facts a little straighter before publication, though :E

His mouth has become the emblem of his band nah ...

Pasche was a 24-year-old postgraduate design student at London's Royal College of Art when Jagger went looking for new talent, having become dissatisfied with the record label's artworks. After meeting the singer, Pasche designed a tour poster and was commissioned to come up with a band logo.

Pasche said: "Mick had a picture of Kali, the Hindu goddess, which he was very keen on. India was very much in fashion at the time, but I thought something like that might go out of date."

The inspiration for the eventual logo, which took Pasche around two weeks of work, has never been in doubt.

"I wanted something anti-authority, but I suppose the mouth idea came from when I met Jagger for the first time at the Stones' offices. I went into this sort of wood-panelled boardroom and there he was. Face to face with him, the first thing you were aware of was the size of his lips and his mouth."

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 7, 2010 23:54

The exhibition in Arles was spectacular and this book is absolutely worth owning.

Date: December 8, 2010 17:24

link to the video about the exhibition in Arles(thanks to SwayStone). Many photos
[videos.arte.tv]

There is the same exhibition in Milan now. It's the article in Italian with Google transl(sorry for that)

Mick Jagger, an icon that "rolls" for 50 years
Model for generations of photographers, the leader of the Rolling Stones is a symbol that marks the ages.

by Luca Beatrice

The term "icon" refers to the fixity of the final image that goes down in history for being one and the same: According to Andy Warhol's Marilyn, the poster of Che Guevara, the first floor imago Christi 'Jim Morrison. If we take this principle for good, then Mick Jagger, the leader and voice of the Rolling Stones, is an icon for its outstanding dynamic performance which nearly half a century marks the history of rock and roll.
The exhibition 'Mick Jagger. The Photobook "which opens today at the Foundation Form of London (until 11 February, accompanied by the book published by contrast) thus confirms the extraordinary versatility of the musician, perfectly at home in front of the lens of the greatest fashion photographers and customs that had the courage to capture his charisma and his aura luciferin. Unlike other legends of rock emerged in the extraordinary and unique '60s, Jagger is an abstract particular, the so-called pars pro toto, or the lips and tongue become that in 1971, thanks to the invention of the young British designer John Pasche, the band's unique brand of London. In the first decade of the Stones, Jagger embodies the model of the Swinging London, a clever play on words that highlights the sinister aspect of r'n'r: a fashionable dandy wearing short pants cuffs and ankle ( are also used now), a long fur coat and tie even though not completely conceal the ambiguity. First great master is to portray Cecil Beaton, photographer of the stars, in a stunning set in white and black set in Marrakech and then on the set of Performance, Nicolas Roeg's film of 1968, which is the most convincing proof of Jagger film, which Unlike David Bowie has never shown great skill in the role of actor.
The 1971 is the service of David Montgomery to the release of Sticky Fingers, the first album after the death of Brian Jones illustrated by Andy Warhol with the famous cover of jeans on the flap opening, where Jagger, Richards & C. are photographed naked private parts hidden from their new LP, in a sort of ironic quotation of nature portrait of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, in the case of dissolution of the Beatles. As if to say, we are the Stones, the band r'n'r world's most important, and women do not do certain influence because we know how to treat them, us. In the same decade Mick ends in front of the machine to Francesco Scavullo, which enhances the full lips as a sexual symbol bipartisan, Guy Peellaert, painter and photographer who also collaborated with Bowie, who manipulates in a contemporary sort of Dorian Gray, even Andy Warhol until the meeting, truly exceptional, with Annie Leibovitz, which we have the only shot that exceeds the face to focus on the particular pulse marked by a long scar. An extraordinary picture, well in advance compared to the cycle of Andres Serrano The Morgue, an unusual violence, which praises the black soul singer.
The '80s, marked by the glamorous and kitsch, as well as an additional grace period of the Rolling Stones, capturing the soul of ironic and sarcastic Jagger, willing to gamble as a protagonist of the international jet set, and in portraits by Herb Ritts in 'illusionism psychedelic Enrique Badulescu. The rock does the miracle of eternal youth and indeed the signs of aging seem to neglect the physical Jagger, apart from digging a few wrinkles on the face to give him even more magnetism. Approaching the present, often collaborating with Anton Corbjin, the Dutch artist and filmmaker who became famous for reporting emotional about Ian Curtis, Bono, Michael Stipe of REM and Depeche Mode. With the Stone Corbjin becomes more performative, masquerades, disguises herself as a woman. And 1992 another historic step, the morphing of the face of Mick and the head of a leopard invented by Albert Watson.

Finally, in the current decade, poses Jagger tend to become scarce, almost returning to the origins of the 60's dandy, as you like Karl Lagerfeld. One of the most compelling portraits of this past sixty, incorruptible public despite the rubbish you read in the pages of Life, the autobiography of his close friend and rival Keith Richards, is precisely that of a colleague as an avid photographer Bryan Adams: a monument laughs and makes a mockery of the years, lucky man.

[www.ilgiornale.it]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 9, 2010 13:18

Same jumpsuit,right ?

On which tour did he wore this jumpsuit ?confused smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 9, 2010 16:06

The exhibition is currently in Milano. Great to see those great pics we all love in superbly printed large format. If there are any photographers on board, I would love them to explain me what is so special about Annie Leibovitz. I just don't get it. Compared to the others, her pics were (appeared to me), quite sub par.

C

Date: December 9, 2010 18:47

Same jumpsuit,right ?
On which tour did he wore this jumpsuit ?

The credit goes - Herb Ritts, 1987

So that's the question - where did he wear that jumpsuit in 87?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 9, 2010 18:58

"if there are any photographers on board, I would love them to explain me what is so special about Annie Leibovitz. I just don't get it. Compared to the others, her pics were (appeared to me), quite sub par."

Same here... WAY overrated!

Date: December 9, 2010 20:03

liddas
T I would love them to explain me what is so special about Annie Leibovitz. I just don't get it. Compared to the others, her pics were (appeared to me), quite sub par.

C

I think her strong part is to make them - stubborn celebs - to do something they would never do otherwise. And it shows them from the different angle. So I guess she's not a better photographer per se but a better psychologyst.
This one is not bad

or this one

Date: December 9, 2010 20:53

Is there any way of finding out where the exhibit is scheduled?

Date: December 9, 2010 21:59

Bliss
Is there any way of finding out where the exhibit is scheduled?

"Mick Jagger. The Photobook"
until 11 February 2011
Form Foundation for Photography
Titus Lucretius Carus Square 1 - Milan
Tel 02.58118067
E-mail : formagalleria@formafoto.it
Hours :
Every day from 10 am to 20
Thursday and Friday from 10 to 22
Monday: closed
Tickets :
Full: € 7.50
Reduced: € 6
Schools: 4 €

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: December 9, 2010 23:40

SOLD!!!!!!!!!

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Date: December 10, 2010 08:08

Thanks but I meant after Milan...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 12, 2010 20:30

proudmary
Same jumpsuit,right ?
On which tour did he wore this jumpsuit ?

The credit goes - Herb Ritts, 1987

So that's the question - where did he wear that jumpsuit in 87?

For the photo only .

More photos here :

[blog.costumenational.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1214
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home