Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Michael Cohl's/Bono's $65 Million SPIDERMAN preview MELTDOWN on Broadway Sunday Night
Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: November 30, 2010 15:52

Seems like the first preview of the most expensive play/musical in Broadway's History (65 Million Dollars) was a giant 3 hour plus mess with "Actors' hanging over the audience (instead of "flying gracefully through the air" ), getting stuck/dangling on wires all over the theater, and having the production halted numerous times. Taking the "Magic"(?) out of the whole thing.

Personally, to me, the whole thing sounds like a giant mess and why Bono/Edge are involved in this kinda stuff is way beyond me ($$$???). by now I think we all know why Michael Cohl is involved "). Is "SPIDERMAN - TURN OFF THE DARK" really anything near Rock and Roll? Why are Bono/Edge even attracted to a kids musical for - attracted for the last 9 years? (I hear the music is just so-so on top of all the other "Problems" ) (maybe they need to "go off and re-invent themselves" again - famous U2 quote from the past).

News reports on American TV are already calling this the "ISHTAR" and "HEAVEN'S GATE" of Broadway. The TONY AWARD Director ("The Lion King" ) JULIE TAYMOR must be chewing Xanax like candy by now, maybe not (I know I would be). This whole thing is either gonna be a giant success or the Broadway flop of the Century - Time will tell (they have 6 weeks to get it together before the official "Opening Night" in January 2011)

HERE'S THE NEW YORK TIMES STORY ON THE MELTDOWN
[www.nytimes.com]

Re: OT: Michael Cohl's/Bono's $65 Million SPIDERMAN preview MELTDOWN on Broadway Sunday Night
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 30, 2010 15:57

The Ishtar of Braodway??? Funny.

The only thing I remember about that stupid movie is Isabelle Adjani's eyes on the movie poster. Very beautiful woman.

Re: OT: Michael Cohl's/Bono's $65 Million SPIDERMAN preview MELTDOWN on Broadway Sunday Night
Date: November 30, 2010 16:05

leteyer
The Ishtar of Braodway??? Funny.

The only thing I remember about that stupid movie is Isabelle Adjani's eyes on the movie poster. Very beautiful woman.

Yeah, it was a kinda OK silly little movie but the production costs were WAY MORE than what the movie warranted. A small little comedy shot in Morocco I believe that was on a LAWRENCE OF ARABIA/GHANDI budget, totally out of balance. Oh yeah, Adjani was always "easy on the eyes")...

Date: November 30, 2010 22:21

I was just thinkin'. If Cohl is involved in this piece of "pure art" then he's got no time to work on a Stones tour for at least half a year from now. So, if a tour is gonna happen it's gonna be very LATE 2011 IMHO (unless Spiderman flops which it won't because these days "Shit Rules" in most forms of entertainment - just my opinion....

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 30, 2010 22:32

CrissCrossMind
I was just thinkin'. If Cohl is involved in this piece of "pure art" then he's got no time to work on a Stones tour for at least half a year from now. So, if a tour is gonna happen it's gonna be very LATE 2011 IMHO (unless Spiderman flops which it won't because these days "Shit Rules" in most forms of entertainment - just my opinion....

I'm looking at it from the opposite point of view... I'm hoping that it's a smooth running smash from the word go. If it's a flop, he'll have to recoup his losses off of Stones ticket prices. Maybe if it's a success, he'll feel benevolent and let Stones tickets go for next to nothing as he'll have an alternate revenue stream.

Yeah... I know it'll never happen but I can dream.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 1, 2010 01:12

CrissCrossMind
Why are Bono/Edge even attracted to a kids musical for - attracted for the last 9 years?

I just saw something about this on TV a few days ago. On 60 Minutes, maybe? Found myself asking the same thing. THIS is what they want to spend their time and creative energies on???

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: December 1, 2010 01:36

tatters
CrissCrossMind
Why are Bono/Edge even attracted to a kids musical for - attracted for the last 9 years?

I just saw something about this on TV a few days ago. On 60 Minutes, maybe? Found myself asking the same thing. THIS is what they want to spend their time and creative energies on???

It was on 60 Minutes, I saw it too.

I was a big nerd when I was a teenager, and had every issue of Spider-Man going back to #10...but I have zero interest in this and was astounded to learn that Bono and the Edge were behind it. I was also surprised to learn that Mark Cohl was involved. Since Disney bought Marvel I thought Disney would be bankrolling it.

Spider-Man ain't just for kids, more adults than kids are collectors, and its very big business. But most comic fans could care less about Broadway Musicals, so making a huge megabudget play out of it was pretty boneheaded, if you ask me.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 1, 2010 02:02

Bono and Edge have succumbed into that realm of egomania where they think they are infallible. Between Edge's quest to be a real estate developer and Bono being so busy saving the world, they respectively believe they are Spiderman.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 1, 2010 03:12

Keefan
But most comic fans could care less about Broadway Musicals, so making a huge megabudget play out of it was pretty boneheaded, if you ask me.

I agree. But it's been done before.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: December 1, 2010 03:24

Bono has his head so far up his ass he thinks anything he touches will turn to gold.

Date: December 1, 2010 04:50

Yeah, Bono/U2 are going in a very funky negative direction. They better get a grip soon or they just might crash and burn. The last album wasn't very good and the last tour (as seen on DVD) seemed way over the top. Looks like a mid-life rock and roll crisis to me....

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 1, 2010 07:34

MKjan
Bono and Edge have succumbed into that realm of egomania where they think they are infallible. Between Edge's quest to be a real estate developer and Bono being so busy saving the world, they respectively believe they are Spiderman.

That's funny.
WHat is sad is that there is a certain amount of smug satisfaction when a failure so massive happens to people like this.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: December 1, 2010 10:50

they used to be one of my favorite bands, and their concert in 1984 (Philly, Spectrum) was the best show of my life - but after 2 lousy CD's and questionable decisions and projects (like Spiderman), U2 are so OVER now for me, it's kind of sad. Hoping that they get knocked off their pedestal and feel the hunger again that generated so many classic tunes and moments.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: December 1, 2010 15:14

I suppose they have to do something, when they are not saving the world.F$$£ing imbecilic cretins that they are.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 1, 2010 17:50

hey COHL ever heard of KHARMA ?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 1, 2010 18:09

According to this story on last night's NBC Nightly News, ticket sales were fantastic after the "meltdown"

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2127
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home