Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Minor chords in open G?
Date: November 27, 2010 15:34

I remember some of you talking about it during the last few weeks, but i can't find the topic anymore. Could you help me please?

Re: Minor chords in open G?
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 27, 2010 18:12

[www.iorr.org]
This is a thread about that.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 27, 2010 21:03

Here is how you do it:

One way is to cheat and just bar the first three strings starting with the "A", being careful to leave out the "B" string (which would have the major 3rd). This is how to do stuff like Hand of Fate. The flatted 3rd is implied.

Second way is to make the first position A minor shape like in standard tuning but sneak your pinky onto the "A" string to play the tonic. So in the first position and A minor would have the pinky on the 2nd fret of the "A" string. You don't play the high "E" string because that is a "D" in open tuning. You can move this chord up and down the neck. It's a little crowded with all the fingers in there, but you can do it.

The third way relates to the second. Make a barre minor chord in 2nd position (based on what would be an A minor open string). Bar it like normal but pull your forth finger off the "D" string and put it on the "A" string instead. This will mute the "D" string, but that's ok. This trick is useful for Before They Make Me Run.

Date: November 28, 2010 15:06

Thanks a lot

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 28, 2010 15:15

71Tele
Here is how you do it:

One way is to cheat and just bar the first three strings starting with the "A", being careful to leave out the "B" string (which would have the major 3rd). This is how to do stuff like Hand of Fate. The flatted 3rd is implied.

You mentioned this before, that Hand of Fate starts off with an Aminor...I don't hear this at all! Is it me? As far as I am aware he only plays the first two or three notes of the A chord (2nd fret, A, D and G string), open G tuning. The only minor chord is the Eminor in the bridge as far as I hear.

Mathijs

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: November 28, 2010 15:31

Mathijs
71Tele
Here is how you do it:

You mentioned this before, that Hand of Fate starts off with an Aminor...I don't hear this at all! Is it me? As far as I am aware he only plays the first two or three notes of the A chord (2nd fret, A, D and G string), open G tuning. The only minor chord is the Eminor in the bridge as far as I hear.

Mathijs

Youre right, there is definitely no A minor in the Hand of Fate riff.

Date: November 28, 2010 16:04

I think it is great to play minor chords in Open G because you get these great suspended notes that add a fullness. E.g play a standard A Minor position, add the second fret on A string, and still play the ringing D notes.
But the main minor position I use is for a D minor e.g. 1st finger in second fret on G string, second finger in 3rd fret D string, 3rd finger in 3rds fret on B string, and 4 th finger in 3rd fret on high E string.
Open is the A string, which is the note G; mute it, or use it for fullness.
Now for this particular chord ( the D minor) one could leave the two D strings open. But hitting that fret there gives the F note, which is the minor third. Plus once you are in that position you can slide up and down the neck.

IMO the first chord in Hand of Fate is an A minor. Even if the note C isn't played in that opening hit, it is implied throughout the song. In the pattern of C-A-F-G, the A is a minor. Perkins' guitar sounds like standard tuning; when he goes from the C to the A he does some pull offs. Times he will have that note C in there, hanging.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home