Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Melody Live London 1999
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: November 20, 2010 00:07

I had no idea this song was ever played live.
What a great surprise.

Re: Melody Live London 1999
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 20, 2010 01:37

This was not the best performance of that tour, but the Stones should have continued like that, testing rarely played or new songs. In 1999 they played a fantastic tour, in 2002 they decided to rely on nothing but nostalgia.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2010 02:06

I was there in about the equivalent (as it was standing) of 5 rows in front of Keith. Some really great songs. First song was Shattered and after that we knew we were in for something special. Next unexpected song was All Down The Line and the place went crazy.

Then the tempo was taken down with Some Girls, Melody which was FANTASTIC, I Got The Blues, Brand New Car and Moon Is Up. The last 2 were so totally unexpected that a lot of people were left open mouthed.

Other classics that night were a killer version of Saint Of Me, Honky Tonk Women with Sheryl Crow and Route 66.

Let's hope they can pull off some gigs like this the next time round.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-20 02:07 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 20, 2010 02:11

Shepherds Bush right ? Quite a special gig. Wish I could have been there.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 20, 2010 02:15

Rolling Hansie

It wasn't too hard to get tickets. We knew in advance that they would be sold by Tower Records at 9am and I got one after joining the queue at 6am. Not too hard.
The impossible one for us Londoners was the Astoria. No way could you get a ticket unless you queued for days in advance or knew someone.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: November 20, 2010 02:59

That was my first club show, and one of my top 5 Stones shows.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 20, 2010 03:09

What a great club show to start on, fiftyamp

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2010 03:33

Silver Dagger
Rolling Hansie

It wasn't too hard to get tickets. We knew in advance that they would be sold by Tower Records at 9am and I got one after joining the queue at 6am. Not too hard.
The impossible one for us Londoners was the Astoria. No way could you get a ticket unless you queued for days in advance or knew someone.

Well, it wasnt too hard to get tickets if you lived in London and hadnt been at the Stones show 220 miles away in Sheffield which finished about 11 hours before they went on sale at Tower Records in Piccadilly.

Didnt exactly cater for the hardcore fanbase on that score, and believe me, it was quite an effort to get the first train out from Sheffield at about 5 am to make sure you were there in time to get into the queue for a chance at getting lucky (no one was sure in advance how many tickets would be available to the public - rumours were from 200 to about 1,000). In the end, it was about 1,000. One ticket each, £10 cash, exact change only.

Wouldnt have missed it for the world!

The Astoria tickets by contrast were easy if you had access to the rs.com sale.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: November 20, 2010 06:19

Really nice except for that lead guitar player playing another song.....

KR should have fired his guitar tech for giving him a guitar tuned in some completely different key. Awful, really.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 20, 2010 11:42

Hahah,what a first 24hours in London,I arrived to London june 7th evening.Propably one of my worst hangovers.Well,i did found tower records,i stood there hole night.Because 3 mates were coming from Sheffield gig,Juha,Paul and BV.
I made a promise to keep a place for them.But battery of my phone run out of power.So i had to shut it down,turn it off few hours later.And send infos for bastars who drove like a madman.After guys arrived,i had a change get something to eat and have a pee....Then we were just waiting to get in.And we did,tickets were 10pounds,and we got a wristband.What a first 24 hours.Great gig,ex memories.
3 years later,i got to see them at the Cirkus Crone,but thats another story!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 20, 2010 12:18

Silver Dagger
Rolling Hansie

Yep, that was a gig and a half, was it not ? I did similar by the way as regards getting tickets, probably also got there around 6.00 in the morning. Also knew in advance that it would be Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus. Sure there was a queue formed already, but it wasn't horrendous - easily got in. A few years earlier we had Brixton, I did the same - and again easily got in.

What changed by the time the Astoria gig took place was that we were in the internet age; online ticket sales. Queuing became a pointless exercise per se. Yes you could do it if you wished, but what the f**k were you actually doing it for ? A tiny handful of tickets that might possibly have been held back and not sold online (this was totally speculative on behalf of all those that queued), and even then that was doubtful ? I wasn't lucky with the online sale, so of course I queued up overnight n' all that, and right through the whole day of the show itself, but surprise surprise - no more tickets were released at the venue itself.

For those people that have been lucky enough to have attended all three London club shows over the years, I think I'm right in saying that that the concensus of opinion rates them as Brixton having been the best, Shepherds Bush a close second, Astoria last. Anyone care to respond to that ? Other opinions ?

I do have a bootleg of Shepherds Bush, don't think I've ever heard a better and more raunchy and bluesy version of Some Girls that that, and indeed, Melody was a joy to hear live.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 20, 2010 12:30

paulywaul

For those people that have been lucky enough to have attended all three London club shows over the years, I think I'm right in saying that that the concensus of opinion rates them as Brixton having been the best, Shepherds Bush a close second, Astoria last. Anyone care to respond to that ? Other opinions ?

I only was at the Astoria, and that gig was deeply dissapointing. The sound was bad, the audience lame, and Jagger's voice was shot after 45 minutes and the rest of the gig was rushed, with the backup vocalists doing the main vocals. And of course, Taylor's guestspot was cancelled as Jagger didn't want to do Rock Me Baby. Shepards Bush isn't the best gig either, with Wood completely absent and Keith overplaying to make up for Ronnie. Brixton sounds fantastic though.

Mathijs

Date: November 20, 2010 13:28

Mathijs
paulywaul

I only was at the Astoria, and that gig was deeply dissapointing. The sound was bad, the audience lame, and Jagger's voice was shot after 45 minutes and the rest of the gig was rushed, with the backup vocalists doing the main vocals. And of course, Taylor's guestspot was cancelled as Jagger didn't want to do Rock Me Baby. Shepards Bush isn't the best gig either, with Wood completely absent and Keith overplaying to make up for Ronnie. Brixton sounds fantastic though.

Mathijs

Thanks. Interesting, you've just endorsed the view held by a good few people I've engaged with, which is that the Astoria gig does stand out as being the weakest of the three.

O well, if I had to fail in my attempts to attend all three, at least it was that one. Makes me feel just slightly better I suppose ...

Date: November 20, 2010 13:38

Even i wasn´t at the Astoria,bootleg tells something,propably worst of the club gigs on the licks tour.Another boring one was Las Vegas 29.11.02

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 20, 2010 14:48

Enmore theatre beats the lot.

Date: November 20, 2010 15:02

Ype,and Cirkus Krone,Munich.

Date: November 20, 2010 17:27

Silver Dagger

I remember that queu for Astoria. I was in London then staying at the St.Giles, which was quite close. I was amazed about the stamina that those fans had. My physical condition will never allow me to do something like that. I also remember that one evening my Canadian friend Terry and I (both a tad drunk at the time) went to buy a couple of sixpacks and handed them out to some of the fans there. That got us a lot of thank you's.

-------------------

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: November 20, 2010 17:42

In 1999 they played a fantastic tour, in 2002 they decided to rely on nothing but nostalgia.[/quote]

99 tour was great but I diagree with 2002 being nothing but nostalgia.
Hand of Fate, Can't you hear me knocking,Heart of Stone,Parachute woman,Torn and Frayed , loving cup.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 20, 2010 23:26

melody is a strange song for a stones song, isnt it ? have alvways felt so.

Date: November 20, 2010 23:36

virgil
In 1999 they played a fantastic tour, in 2002 they decided to rely on nothing but nostalgia.

99 tour was great but I diagree with 2002 being nothing but nostalgia.
Hand of Fate, Can't you hear me knocking,Heart of Stone,Parachute woman,Torn and Frayed , loving cup.[/quote]

Yipes, Parachute Woman, Torn And Frayed and Loving Cup?? They didn't play them in Europe, did they? How often did they play them in 2002?

Date: November 21, 2010 00:37

Dont agree that Shep Bush and Astoria were sub-par. Enjoyed them both immensely, especially Shepherds Bush.

Sometimes people need to just enjoy the bloody gig for what it is instead of obsessing anally over every bum note.

Wasnt at Brixton, but based on audio evidence, it appears to have the edge on those two.

Date: November 21, 2010 00:41

Gazza
Sometimes people need to just enjoy the bloody gig for what it is instead of obsessing anally over every bum note.

Absolutely

-------------------

Date: November 21, 2010 00:57

Rolling Hansie
Silver Dagger

I remember that queu for Astoria. I was in London then staying at the St.Giles, which was quite close. I was amazed about the stamina that those fans had. My physical condition will never allow me to do something like that. I also remember that one evening my Canadian friend Terry and I (both a tad drunk at the time) went to buy a couple of sixpacks and handed them out to some of the fans there. That got us a lot of thank you's.

I think I met that guy when we stayed in the same house in LA in 2002. If its the same bloke, he was an absolute riot.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: November 21, 2010 01:42

Silver Dagger
I was there in about the equivalent (as it was standing) of 5 rows in front of Keith. Some really great songs. First song was Shattered and after that we knew we were in for something special. Next unexpected song was All Down The Line and the place went crazy.

Then the tempo was taken down with Some Girls, Melody which was FANTASTIC, I Got The Blues, Brand New Car and Moon Is Up. The last 2 were so totally unexpected that a lot of people were left open mouthed.

Other classics that night were a killer version of Saint Of Me, Honky Tonk Women with Sheryl Crow and Route 66.

Let's hope they can pull off some gigs like this the next time round.

That's it you're saying it. It left people with their mouths wide open. There is proof and proof again and again that playing the unexpected is exactly what people would appreciate more than the old well known songs. b.t.w. Moon is Up? Wow, would have loved to hear that one live.

Date: November 21, 2010 02:09

Moon Is Up was marvellous. A one-time only performance and they nailed it. It swung like a bastard.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 21, 2010 02:24

melody is a strange song for a stones song, isnt it ? have alvways felt so.

More of a Billy Preston thing, in the studio they go high camp with Jagger, it's almost too much.

Date: November 21, 2010 10:58

Gazza
Dont agree that Shep Bush and Astoria were sub-par. Enjoyed them both immensely, especially Shepherds Bush.

Wasnt at Brixton, but based on audio evidence, it appears to have the edge on those two.

Well if we all do that, you're outa business, Bjornulf's outa business, Stones Doug's outa business ..... cos obsessing anally is the nature of the game. winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley

There won't be f**k all left to bitch about. winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley

Date: November 21, 2010 11:32

Gazza
If its the same bloke, he was an absolute riot.

Sounds like Terry smiling smiley I will ask him

-------------------

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 21, 2010 12:06

Let's do some anal stuff... because I @#$%& was not at the room there at the time to tell what a brilliant experience it was (as it was I do know that)...angry smiley

I like the "Melody" clip. But this onece again testifies so well why the Stones is Mick's band nowadays. Everytime they try some oddity of their past, like now "Melody", it is Mick who has thought it all over, who has done his home-work, and who comes up with the idea of how to deliver the song with his recent voice. And he does it as well as he can. It is most based on his technical abilities (like the use of nasal), but sometimes he does incredibly well. Hitting the right notes and all. It is Mick who clearly runs the band, and the music seemingly rest on his shoulders. The others follow him. Keith, on the other hand, hasn't bother to relisten the song or if he has he hasn't bothered to think his contribution at all (say, finding the rights chords or even a new angle into it). He just plays along with it and hits some intuitive notes and scale runs here and there. This can be very well heard in this clip. He sounds like some outsider who knows some blues licks has attended to the stage with the Stones and not knowing the song at all starts to jam with them.

But I believe Gazza and other bastards who were lucky enough to be there, were in seventh sky at the moment when wittnessing this and Keith noodling and everything. I would have been too, if I had been there... (well I can only blame myself for that.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-21 12:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 21, 2010 22:30

Silver Dagger
Yipes, Parachute Woman, Torn And Frayed and Loving Cup?? They didn't play them in Europe, did they? How often did they play them in 2002?

Parachute Woman was only played once in 2002, at the Orpheum in Boston.
Torn And Frayed was played twice in 2002, at the Palais Royale and at the Aragon.
Neither of them was played in Europe in 2003.
Loving Cup was played a couple of times in Europe that Summer. Indoor arena shows mostly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home