Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:Calling Fender Amp Experts. Bassmans
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 26, 2010 23:06

Hello all,
I may have the opportunity to acquire a used 59 Bassman re-issue in very good condition in re-payment of a debt.

Has anyone played one of these amps? What are your opinions?

People have suggested that I ask for cash (which will be less than the cost of the amp) and put it towards a genuine 50s-60s Bassman. Naturally, those amps are 2-3 times the cost.

Thoughts? I have never played either of these types of amps. Are the new Bassmans good and what are the sound differences between a new Bassman and a Twin? Also, for those Bassman fans, is it worth the extra money to go with a vintage amp?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-27 01:35 by Cafaro.

Re: OT:Calling Fender Amo Experts. Bassmans
Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: October 26, 2010 23:54

Your likely to get a lot of responses on this, as their was a pretty lively discussion of Bassmans a few weeks back (I have a vague feeling it was in another of your threads Cafaro, but I may be mistaken). I don't know much about Bassmans, but the general consensus seems to be love/hate.

People either love them or hate them. I don't think they are the most versatile amp, a bit of a one trick pony, but if you like that one trick, then you'll love it. But again, I can't say for sure. Based on your past threads and what I gather to be your tastes, I think you might like it, it's a more vintage sounding amp, not a modern, high gain one.

I'm guessing you can try it out first? If so, then that should give you your answer. Since your letting the debt be repaid with barter instead of cash, I'm assuming your not so worried about the money being paid up to the exact penny, so I say take it. If you don't like it, turn around and sell it or trade it for something else.

I'm curious though. This seems like the 3rd or 4th thread you've posted about a debt being paid through equipment. I don't meant to be rude or anything, but I'm dying to know at this point, is it all from the same person? If so, and without getting too personal, can you give us a general idea of what you did for this guy that put him so in debt to you?

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: October 27, 2010 00:01

I don't own a Bassman Reissue but I do own a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and it sounds great. Don't let the fact that it's a reissue turn you off. It's still going to give you a great Fender tone and it may not sound EXACTLY like an original, but it gets pretty damn close and it saves you a fair amount of money. Keep in mind that Bassmans aren't known for their clean sounds, so that's something to keep in mind depending on the kind of stuff you're going to be playing.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 27, 2010 00:07

Which of the two recent Bassman reissues are you thinking about?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: October 27, 2010 00:11

They are loud! Put el84s in it! They sound greatthat way! Very aggressive!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: October 27, 2010 00:52

I've had a 100W Fender Bassman in the eighties, and I thought that it was a bit too large; the sound sort of drowns in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-27 00:54 by lsbz.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 27, 2010 01:33

The re-issue is a 59 Bassman. The thing is that this person just traded me a 1980s Twin Reverb 2 for some of this debt and I like it. It is very loud and the overdrive is pretty cool. I also have a 1966 Ampeg Rocket 2 GS-12.

I am interested in this "swirl" sound that the Fender catologue describes.

I really need to find one to play and driving 100+ miles do try it does nothing for me.

Re: OT:Calling Fender Amp Experts. Bassmans
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 27, 2010 04:41

Do some Google searches, you'll find threads like these: [www.tdpri.com]

But in the end, you will need to decide based on what you hear when you play them.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 27, 2010 10:58

Good review here, if you read Italian

[chitarre.accordo.it]

There is a youtube clip with a comparison between the original, reissue, and victoria.

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 27, 2010 14:50

It's a very nice amp. Thicker sound than thr other tweed amps or re-issues.
A good set of tubes works wonders for it too. The TAD 6L6WGC makes it sing.

Better still the NOS Philips 6L6WGB . There are still a few around for sensible money but the TADs are a good currently available and low cost substitute.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 15, 2010 11:37

I'm lookin for a nice low wattage fender amp. It is very important the weight.

I was seriously thinking about the princeton reverb reissue (but also the deluxe reverb, or even the blues jr)

Date: November 15, 2010 15:45

@KeithNacho: for just at home, or to play with a band?

Date: November 16, 2010 11:20

Thanks for your help:

I know that 15 W is too loud for home,and very low for a a hard rocking band. But my idea is to use the amp in both situations. I think that i do not need more tnan 15-20 w with a tube amp.
I have played with a 12 w KUSTOM (just one valve on the preamp) and it is ok for eheearsals and if you microphone it, even for gigs.

THANKS

Date: November 16, 2010 22:38

I don't know what your budget is, but you could look at a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, they are $1000 new. Stay away from the Fender Hot Rod series, they sound crappy.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: November 17, 2010 05:36

Koen
I don't know what your budget is, but you could look at a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, they are $1000 new. Stay away from the Fender Hot Rod series, they sound crappy.

I had a Hot Rod DeVille, and it actually sounded really good once it was turned up past three. Around 3-1/2 to 5 seemed to be the sweet spot, but the band I was in at the time always said I was too loud during practice. They always wanted it below three, but anywhere below that it sounded like shyte. I was only happy with it when we played live, and I could turn up. It could really sing then.

They really aren't that bad, at least the DeVille's anyway, just too powerful to sound good at low volumes. I always wondered if an attenuator would have solved that.

Date: November 17, 2010 10:32

The Deluxe Reverb is much heavier than the Princeton reverb; I HAVE ALWAYS BETWEEN THESE TWO..............but i have no decision

Date: November 17, 2010 15:35

If you want to play with a band, I don't think the PR will be sufficient, 15 W and a 10" speaker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home