Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Frank Sinatra Concert Collection - 7 DVD set
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 3, 2010 04:28

Sinatra fans in the house:

I was PLEASANTLY surprised today at Best Buy to find this amazing box set. Finally! A live DVD box set of Old Blue Eyes spanning several years. Was released just today.

Came in wanting to pick up Buddy Guy and Elvis Costello's latest...thrilled to have seen this on the shelf.

[www.amazon.com]

Celebrate one of the most important and beloved entertainers of our time with the 7-DVD box set Frank Sinatra: Concert Collection, which contains over 14 hours of television and concert performances from the '50s to the '80s, including 4 previously unreleased specials, an exclusive compilation of vintage performances, and a 44-page book featuring rare photographs and notes by Sinatra scholar Bill Zehme. The definitive collection of Frank Sinatra's musical legacy as captured on film.

Discs 1 and 2: A Man And His Music: The Collection A Man And His Music The 1st-ever Sinatra TV special, this 1965 performance features Nelson Riddle arrangements of "I've Got You Under My Skin," "Come Fly With Me," and more.

A Man And His Music Part II The 2nd annual TV special features "Fly Me To The Moon," "Luck Be A Lady" and "That's Life." Frank is joined by Nancy Sinatra for a duet of "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'."

A Man And His Music + Ella + Jobim Ella joins Frank in a historic pairing of the two preeminent vocal talents of the era. Plus, Antonio Carlos Jobim accompanies Frank for an intimate medley of classics.

Sinatra: The Man And His Music Taking place 16 years after the first A Man And His Music special, this final installment features the legendary Count Basie and his orchestra on "Pennies From Heaven," and "Theme From New York, New York."

Disc 3 and 4: Around the World Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back This "comeback" special proves the Chairman hadn't lost a step. Features classic performances of "I Get A Kick Out Of You," "I've Got You Under My Skin" and "I've Got The World On A String," as well as a guest appearance by Gene Kelly.

Sinatra: The Main Event The Main Event was filmed live at Madison Square Garden. Sinatra dazzles the crowd with contemporary numbers such as "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life," "Let Me Try Again" and delivers with signature tunes "My Kind Of Town" and "My Way."

Sinatra In Concert At Royal Festival Hall Princess Grace of Monaco introduces Sinatra to the adoring crowd in this London concert, which features memorable performances of "Pennies From Heaven," and "One For My Baby."

Sinatra In Japan: Live At The Budokan Hall, Tokyo This incredibly rare concert has only ever been released in Japan. Entering his 70th year, Ol' Blue Eyes never sounded better. He commands the stage with the energy of a man half his age, delivering bravura performances of "The Lady Is A Tramp," and "Come Rain Or Come Shine."

Disc 5: Primetime Francis Albert Sinatra Does His Thing Frank features a medley of spirituals sung with Diahann Carroll and a swingin' pop interlude with then-chart-toppers The 5th Dimension.

Sinatra Sinatra casts a backward glance at some of the highlights of a storied career, backed by Gal Costa and His Orchestra. Also includes an early performance of "My Way."

Sinatra And Friends This rarely seen 1977 special features Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Natalie Cole, Loretta Lynn and John Denver, all of whom return one-by-one for a final embrace with Frank as he sings the Paul Anka-penned "Everybody Ought To Be In Love."

Disc 6: Concert For The Americas This 1st-ever U.S. release of this spectacular 1982 concert proves that even at age 66, Francis Albert Sinatra was still the undisputed Chairman Of The Board. This 90-minute performance features a memorable rendition of "Send In The Clowns" with guitarist Tony Mottola.

Disc 7: Bonus Disc Happy Holidays With Bing And Frank This spectacular color television event is packed with holiday classics and plenty of Christmas cheer.

Vintage Sinatra This `03 PBS special offers a look back at Sinatra's television performances from the '50s. He is in peak form on "Come Fly With Me," "Too Marvelous For Words" and "I've Got The World On A String" and more. This bonus disc also features ten previously unreleased TV clips, featuring performances of "Moonlight In Vermont," "The Road To Mandalay" and more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-03 04:29 by Justin.

Re: OT: Frank Sinatra Concert Collection - 7 DVD set
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 3, 2010 05:15

That Buddy Guy CD is amazing (minus the sucky duet with BB King).

Date: November 3, 2010 05:54

Not sure how when BB is actually gonna get out of this melancholy, "Death at my door" funk that he's been in for the last 4 years.

The latest duet with Buddy was pretty weak.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 3, 2010 06:24

Thanks Justin. I've already had my eye on the Sinatra as a Christmas present - for myself! I recorded the 1965 Man And His Music TV special about 20 years ago from TV and it's worth getting just for that.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2010 15:43

Justin
Not sure how when BB is actually gonna get out of this melancholy, "Death at my door" funk that he's been in for the last 4 years.

ah...he's 85 years old.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 3, 2010 17:21

frank helped get me thru the world series - The Voice was playing while i watched the gmen march to glory, rather than listening to the two worst announcers in baseball....

Date: November 3, 2010 18:27

treaclefingers
Justin

ah...he's 85 years old.

Yeah but lately it's just been waaaay too much of this "end of the road" stuff. At Clapton's Crossroads festival a few years talking about how this might be the last time and the "end is coming soon"..talk about a downer. On his last live DVD from 2 years ago, a bonus feature is a "Special message" from BB to his fans, thanking us for all the years of support, almost saying goodbye...like a living eulogy. His last album, "One Kind Favor"...it kicked off with "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean." On this new duet with Buddy: "Stay A Little Longer" about how God is letting BB stay a little longer on earth, and how much BB has more to give on earth. Ending the song saying to Buddy: "Ya know Buddy, I'm pushing up daisies." WTF??

I looooooooove BB King..absolutely love every single thing he's done. But this semi-depression about mortality is a little off-putting. One or two songs (max) about the subject is fine...but now being the theme of every project? Dunno about that.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 3, 2010 18:55

i think it's cool about bb. the man - who is a diabetic - is living way beyond his life expectancy - it's exactly what i would expect out of him. same with many ppl in his sitch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home