Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is it possible?
Posted by: Cujo ()
Date: September 20, 2010 21:11

Could it be possible. In country music you have/had people like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson. People well into their seventies who in the later days of their lives started to make the best music of their careers. They simply made the music they wanted to make without any restrictions. They realised that their days were almost counted and that it's better to go out gracefully than to try and please the recordcompany or the public. O how I wish the Stones could do the same.

Re: Is it possible?
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 20, 2010 21:29

The Stones's best days are over, this is no shame, but the Stones do not work regularly enough anymore to keep the standard of their great days, yet they played on a fantastic level for more than 35 years, and that is impressive.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 20, 2010 21:31

Windymelody... I think now that they only play for pleassure, they could come up with music from their hearts.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: September 20, 2010 21:51

in my opinion, rock and roll is a young man's game. you can either accept it and continue to make new, relevant and interesting music (neil young, for example) or you can continue rejecting this notion that you are in your old age and risk looking like a fool by resting on your laurels. country music, blues as well, is a type of music that lets one age gracefully, unlike rock and roll (unless you use it wisely).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:01

It's a matter of lifestyle and ambition imo.
Listen to Jeff Beck for example...almost retired but still an animal.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:14

bernardanderson
in my opinion, rock and roll is a young man's game. you can either accept it and continue to make new, relevant and interesting music (neil young, for example) or you can continue rejecting this notion that you are in your old age and risk looking like a fool by resting on your laurels. country music, blues as well, is a type of music that lets one age gracefully, unlike rock and roll (unless you use it wisely).

Very good points. Saw Neil Young last night on TV, he was terrific.

Date: September 20, 2010 22:25

Cujo
Could it be possible. In country music you have/had people like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson. People well into their seventies who in the later days of their lives started to make the best music of their careers. They simply made the music they wanted to make without any restrictions. They realised that their days were almost counted and that it's better to go out gracefully than to try and please the recordcompany or the public. O how I wish the Stones could do the same.

You are a wise man. I couldn't agree more, this is exactly the course the Stones should be charting at this stage of their careers. They have so much more to offer and shouldn't be wasting their time writing simple songs for teenagers. With all their life experiences they should be at their best as songwriters not regressing.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 21, 2010 02:44

Cujo

Two points that need to be considered here.

1. As you pointed out, those artists made the decision to make the music they wanted without worrying about the result, and fortunately they still have the creative juices and outlets to do so. The Stones have the outlets, they could do whatever they wanted at this point, but they haven't made that decision like the others you mentioned. I don't think they will either.

The creativity is still an unknown factor for the Stones. They haven't exactly made the decision to make the best music of their careers without any restrictions at this point. Maybe they will, but I don't think so. Either way, until they make that decision and try, we don't know if they still have the creative magic to do so.

Your also speaking about individuals who generally wrote by themselves, and didn't have to deal with the issues that are obviously present in a BAND that relies on the creative abilities of volatile partnership like Jagger/Richards.

2. From a performance standpoint, again, everyone you mentioned is a solo artist in a different genre, with the partial exception of Dylan. Those artists were/have been able to grow old gracefully in their careers because they never turned into permanent enormo-dome stadium acts that continue to try and run around like idiots in their prime. The artists you mentioned never did/do much more than stand there and perform. They were never known for running around all over the stage, and doing poses like the Stones, all of which looks cool in your prime, but not in you 70's.

While you bring up a good case with the individuals you noted, I can't think of one band that has done the same thing, at least not after such a artistic drought like the Stones have experienced over the last 25 years.

Date: September 21, 2010 02:45

bernardanderson

Exactly.

Date: September 21, 2010 02:48

Addicted
Windymelody... I think now that they only play for pleassure, they could come up with music from their hearts.

If you think the Stones only play for pleasure now, your crazy. They play for money. If they aren't guaranteed more money than they got last time, they ain't leaving the house.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 21, 2010 04:56

There is indeed a problem with them being THE ROLLING STONES. Maybe they don't like each other well enough at this point to just hang out and make music they love. They didn't start out as a rock and roll band, they were a pop band. They used to work in whatever genre struck their fancy. It's lack of outside influences that hurt them now. I'd love to see someone like Jack White produce them and maybe play a little, and not put them on a pedestal. But maybe they're gotten so set in their ways that they don't want to change the 'Make Rock Album/ Announce Tour in Quirky Way/Tour' rut. I thought their biggest mistake was not going directly into the studio after a tour, when their chops were strongest.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 21, 2010 11:19

In recent years they've been victims of their own continued popularity and status.

I'd challenge anybody to pass up on the kind of money they've remained able to make from the huge stadium tours which many folks so despise.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:51

24FPS Quote: I thought their biggest mistake was not going directly into the studio after a tour, when their chops were strongest. Unquote

That's what Keith's been saying a lot! But there are other people with strong opinions in the band...
I also agree with you, btw.

Date: September 21, 2010 13:01

24FPS
They didn't start out as a rock and roll band, they were a pop band. They used to work in whatever genre struck their fancy. It's lack of outside influences that hurt them now. I'd love to see someone like Jack White produce them and maybe play a little, and not put them on a pedestal. I thought their biggest mistake was not going directly into the studio after a tour, when their chops were strongest.

...very strong points;
I agree 100%.
thumbs up

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 21, 2010 17:51

MississippiBullfrog
24FPS
They didn't start out as a rock and roll band, they were a pop band. They used to work in whatever genre struck their fancy. It's lack of outside influences that hurt them now. I'd love to see someone like Jack White produce them and maybe play a little, and not put them on a pedestal. I thought their biggest mistake was not going directly into the studio after a tour, when their chops were strongest.

...very strong points;
I agree 100%.
thumbs up

To be fair, they started out as a blues and R&B band, then became a pop band, then became a rock band.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 21, 2010 17:54

the stones aren't a band, in the classic sense, anymore. haven't been for 30 years. they are a corporation and make decisions that are in the best interests of their shareholders.

Posted by: Strider ()
Date: September 21, 2010 19:08

The big difference is the Stones are a band, a group of people.
Most of the artists that create wonderful music late in life are individuals.
Not only do these individuals not have to cater to the record label or audience, they don't have to agree with other members of the band regarding the product.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 21, 2010 19:30

T&A
the stones aren't a band, in the classic sense, anymore. haven't been for 30 years. they are a corporation and make decisions that are in the best interests of their shareholders.

+1

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 21, 2010 21:15

It looked like Bowie was lost to us but he came back. I still hope for something similar from the Stones.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 21, 2010 21:16

Squiggle
It looked like Bowie was lost to us but he came back. I still hope for something similar from the Stones.

there's bowie news?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 21, 2010 21:41

Cujo
People well into their seventies who in the later days of their lives started to make the best music of their careers. They simply made the music they wanted to make without any restrictions.

restrictions?? only self-imposed (if any). Stones have had the freedom to do what they want for decades.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: September 21, 2010 22:12

T&A
Squiggle

there's bowie news?

I'm curious too. What's new with DB? I know that Station To Station is being re-released in a deluxe package, but he seems to have retired otherwise from recording and touring.

Posted by: Cujo ()
Date: September 21, 2010 22:20

sweet neo con
Cujo
People well into their seventies who in the later days of their lives started to make the best music of their careers. They simply made the music they wanted to make without any restrictions.

restrictions?? only self-imposed (if any). Stones have had the freedom to do what they want for decades.

There's always the pressure to make more money. Every tour has to make more money than the previous one. Every cd has to sell well. Sponsers are te be kept happy. The people coming to the shows must be kept happy (so they have to play the hits over and over again). Restrictions enough I think.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 21, 2010 23:57

Cujo
sweet neo con
Cujo

There's always the pressure to make more money. Every tour has to make more money than the previous one. Every cd has to sell well. Sponsers are te be kept happy. The people coming to the shows must be kept happy (so they have to play the hits over and over again). Restrictions enough I think.

Sorry.. i don't agree.
First of all, there's a difference between "restrictions" & " pressure".
Restrictions or pressure....if they have any, they are self imposed. Nobody twisted
their arm to sign another contract with UMe.

If they wanted to make the music "they wanted to make"....who is stopping them?
I'm sure UMe would love to sell anything they produce...as a group or individually.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 22, 2010 02:56

T&A
Squiggle

there's bowie news?

Ah, no, sorry, I meant that he came back before his retirement (if he has retired), with Heathen and Reality and the nineties albums.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 22, 2010 11:40

Ah, what a beautiful thoughtful thread. So many incredibly lucid points (many of my favorite posters/writers gathered in this thread). My evening was a bit sad, and this perked me right up - glad I dropped by iorr.

Excellent point about the Stones being a band vs the many of the older solo musicians cited who still have fresh authentic output.

Through the ages, I believe, that's been true for oldercountry, jazz, and blues musicans/artists. They may collaborate with others but, unlike the Stones, these older artists do not first have a "band identity."

Are there exceptions? are there entire bands that stay creative? (not merely productive) in any genre?

What's the shelflife of a band? What does is take to have a viable band that creates. I don't mean tribute bands or cover bands. But bands making and performing their own creations?

And has being in the Rolling Stones, having that be a central part to their identities as artists, actually squelched their individual creativity, at the same time as consistently delivering on the promise of $$$?

Maybe it is like a marriage. People who stay together--in a rut--out of duty or habit, entropy, low expectations, or "cuz there's nothing else to do." Versus those rare marriages (my parents have one) where they still like each other, stay fascinated with each other, still can talk for hours about ideas, the world, things they're thinking about and interested in. In those rare cases I think they can do it partly because each party continues to develop and grow fairly fearlessly in their own ways. My father started doing Tai Chi at 75. My mother started writing poetry. They take classes like the History of Islam, and Immigration in America, and great works of Wagner.

That's what Neil Young has done, and Dylan, Steve Earle, EmmyLou Harris, and the older peeps mentioned above. Push themselves, push their craft, stay a little out of their creative comfort zones, keep growing. Maybe not the meteoric growth of youth but growth just the same -- and with great richness, nuance, complexity, and depth.

What have Mick and Keith done to keep themselves awake and alive in the world. How reflective have they been? how much have they pushed themselves into new and uncomfortable places? (I don't mean up coconut trees or high upon the lofty heights of platform trainers)

And their relationship. I think Doxa has talked about this a lot, and a few other people over the years here. Their relationship doesn't seem very artistically inspiring or even particularly alive--let alone, healthy. As someone said above: they may not even like each other anymore--like married couples that may or may not love each other but surely don't like each other.

So, how does working together serve them as creative individuals, if at all?

Maybe neither Keith nor Mick can create anymore.

I think people have the potential to create up until their last breath, but for all practical purposes...what signs are there that they are still creating in any way? Seems like Mick is so superficial and into outward expression (i.e., performance) that he can't go where you have to, to create (which is a deep and weird place to go). And Keith's too undisciplined, and has been for years. And maybe not brave enough to spend a year doing scales to get his chops and his head in a place where he would have the rigor to create.

Maybe if they both were able to tend to themselves creatively they could collaborate again. Because in their case the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts - and part of the creative magic is an alchemy that arises between Keith and Mick, and spreads to Charlie, then to whomever else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-22 11:46 by swiss.

Date: September 23, 2010 01:50

swiss
Maybe it is like a marriage. People who stay together--in a rut--out of duty or habit, entropy, low expectations, or "cuz there's nothing else to do."

I wonder if for Mick part of the problem is that he thinks it's all rubbish anyway. It's Only Rock'n'Roll so why bother yourself all that much? Didn't he say, a while ago, that he mainly listens to classical music these days? Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it would be sad if didn't realise how much he has achieved, not commercially but artistically.

Date: September 23, 2010 02:01

swiss
Ah, what a beautiful thoughtful thread. So many incredibly lucid points (many of my favorite posters/writers gathered in this thread). My evening was a bit sad, and this perked me right up - glad I dropped by iorr.

Excellent point about the Stones being a band vs the many of the older solo musicians cited who still have fresh authentic output.

Through the ages, I believe, that's been true for oldercountry, jazz, and blues musicans/artists. They may collaborate with others but, unlike the Stones, these older artists do not first have a "band identity."

Are there exceptions? are there entire bands that stay creative? (not merely productive) in any genre?

swiss,

This is one fantastic post! I loved every inspired word of it!

What's the shelflife of a band? What does is take to have a viable band that creates. I don't mean tribute bands or cover bands. But bands making and performing their own creations?

And has being in the Rolling Stones, having that be a central part to their identities as artists, actually squelched their individual creativity, at the same time as consistently delivering on the promise of $$$?

Maybe it is like a marriage. People who stay together--in a rut--out of duty or habit, entropy, low expectations, or "cuz there's nothing else to do." Versus those rare marriages (my parents have one) where they still like each other, stay fascinated with each other, still can talk for hours about ideas, the world, things they're thinking about and interested in. In those rare cases I think they can do it partly because each party continues to develop and grow fairly fearlessly in their own ways. My father started doing Tai Chi at 75. My mother started writing poetry. They take classes like the History of Islam, and Immigration in America, and great works of Wagner.

That's what Neil Young has done, and Dylan, Steve Earle, EmmyLou Harris, and the older peeps mentioned above. Push themselves, push their craft, stay a little out of their creative comfort zones, keep growing. Maybe not the meteoric growth of youth but growth just the same -- and with great richness, nuance, complexity, and depth.

What have Mick and Keith done to keep themselves awake and alive in the world. How reflective have they been? how much have they pushed themselves into new and uncomfortable places? (I don't mean up coconut trees or high upon the lofty heights of platform trainers)

And their relationship. I think Doxa has talked about this a lot, and a few other people over the years here. Their relationship doesn't seem very artistically inspiring or even particularly alive--let alone, healthy. As someone said above: they may not even like each other anymore--like married couples that may or may not love each other but surely don't like each other.

I think people have the potential to create up until their last breath, but for all practical purposes...what signs are there that they are still creating in any way? Seems like Mick is so superficial and into outward expression (i.e., performance) that he can't go where you have to, to create (which is a deep and weird place to go). And Keith's too undisciplined, and has been for years. And maybe not brave enough to spend a year doing scales to get his chops and his head in a place where he would have the rigor to create.

Maybe if they both were able to tend to themselves creatively they could collaborate again. Because in their case the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts - and part of the creative magic is an alchemy that arises between Keith and Mick, and spreads to Charlie, then to whomever else.

Date: September 23, 2010 02:07

stonescrow
swiss

swiss,

What a fantastic post! Loved every inspired word in it!

Date: September 23, 2010 06:13

swiss

I think a big part of the problem swiss, is that Mick and Keith are no longer interested in being a creative team like they used to be. Their lives have changed so much, they aren't really the same people who use to sit around in their free time, let alone while working, and write songs, like they did in the 60's-early 70's. They use to work together constantly because the band were constantly working. Now the band rarely works, and they rarely work together, and this is not going to change.

The Stones have essentially given up creatively because their financial success is tied to touring as what is basically a nostalgia act, that gets more guaranteed money than any act in history whether their current record sells or not. As a result, they've gotten too far away from what they originally were, a band that makes it's living writing and playing music, and lives to do so regardless of how financially successful they are, as long as they remain successful enough. Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc., are all musicians who haven't changed in ways that have taken them away from what they originally were.

As I mentioned before, I can't think of a single band that's been around as long as the Stones, that have evolved, but never to the point that they are no longer what they started out as, like the above solo artists have. For whatever reasons, it's obviously easier to do it long-term alone, than in a band.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1145
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home