Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T : Please tell me more about this bass ....
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 13, 2010 19:15

I saw it in Brussels last summer .
I would be glad if someone could tell me more about this Fender 1965 L serie bass.
Thanks in advance.

NB :I didn't buy it,I am just curious because it seems in a poor condition.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-14 18:44 by SwayStones.

Re: O.T : Please tell me more about this bass ....
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2010 22:09

SwayStones
I would be glad if someone could tell me more about this Fender 1965 L serie bass.
Thanks in advance.

I'am no bass player, but if this bass is not in
too bad shape, my guess is that this '65
Fender Jazz bass guitar is very expensive.
The Fender Jazz Bass is very popular amongst
Jazz bass players like Jaco
Pastorius () for it's sound..

French comment after a few minutes:..winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-14 13:19 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 22:54

SwayStones
Thanks in advance.

for me it looks beautiful and not at all in bad shape. would take it in a second.
fortunately bass guitars are not as expensive as "real" guitars.
and it´s 65, a bit late almost too late. don´t think it´s too expensive.

Date: September 13, 2010 23:28

Here's one for sale: 5000 €

[www.2dehands.be]

Screenshot. Don't know if it's an l-series ,but it looks like...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-13 23:42 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 14, 2010 01:30

>>I am just curious because it seems in a poor condition<<

haha - sweet. I wish many sellers would think like that when they offer a 60's instrument.
"hey, it's got sratches and dents in it! here, I'll give ya a 100 for it"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 14, 2010 04:44

I have a bass question, normally I would have started my own thread, but since bv wants to limit OT Threads, I will post my question here.

Sway, I apologize, I do not mean to hijack this thread, I am hoping for a quick answer.

Regarding bass strings,

While I have been playing guitar for over 40 years, I picked up the bass about 10 years ago and started getting serious about 3 to 4 years ago.

I have both a P-Bass and a Jazz Bass. I had a conversation with Rick Rosas (Bass player for Neil Young, Joe Walsh and Waddy Wachtel) and he suggested using flat wound for one and round for the other...but I forgot which is which...any suggestions from bass pros?

Thanks.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:13

SwayStones
Thanks in advance.

Looks like very good condition to me. L-series in good nick go for 5k to 6K Euro.

Mathijs

Date: September 14, 2010 15:14

Thanks you all for your answers.I like learning more about instruments.

open G
Yeah,it was a stupid comment I made when I wrote "poor condition" .smiling smiley
How could I imagine than a 1965 bass would be mint ?
I said this because when I saw the bass for real it seemed quite old -and actually,it is -

Bluz Dude
No need to apologize,you don't hijack my thread .I am not a bass player but anyhow I am sure the answers will interest me as well.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 14, 2010 17:45

BluzDude
I have a bass question, normally I would have started my own thread, but since bv wants to limit OT Threads, I will post my question here.

Sway, I apologize, I do not mean to hijack this thread, I am hoping for a quick answer.

Regarding bass strings,

While I have been playing guitar for over 40 years, I picked up the bass about 10 years ago and started getting serious about 3 to 4 years ago.

I have both a P-Bass and a Jazz Bass. I had a conversation with Rick Rosas (Bass player for Neil Young, Joe Walsh and Waddy Wachtel) and he suggested using flat wound for one and round for the other...but I forgot which is which...any suggestions from bass pros?

Thanks.

If I had to guess, I'd be willing to bet that he had suggested the flat wound strings on the P-Bass & round on the Jazz.

That being said, there are just as many valid reasons to reverse that recommendation. With today's electronics and effects, it really comes down to personal preference.

When I started playing bass 25 years ago, I wasn't good enough to control the fret & string noise so the store owner put flat wound strings on my bass to help me lessen the noise. Within six months I had switched to round wound strings and never went back to flats except for a brief period when I used them on a fretless bass. Even that bass no longer has flatwounds as I discovered something called "pressure wound" strings which I like the feel of better.

In my opinion, a flat wound string is never going to be as bright and dynamic as a round wound string. That can be a benefit depending on the sound you're looking for.

Because I have both quality instruments and amps, for me, over the years, string choice has become primarily about the feel of the string. At one point I messed up and bought an UNWOUND string to use for the high C on my six string bass and hated it with a passion that I almost can't explain! I couldn't get it off of there fast enough!

Another thing that I've found that I like better is to have the Low B & E strings to be "taperwound". This is said to increase sustain and add to a brighter sound. I'm not sure if that's actually true. I use them because they allow those big strings to sit lower in the saddle and thus have a better angle to the nut at the end of the neck.

I did a Google search and found this website: [www.bass-strings.com] which had some good information as well as a picture of the taperwound strings. Wikipedia also has an article about music string with some decent information as well.

Thanks to SwayStones for posting the picture of the '65 Jazz - what a beauty! Also, thanks for as giving us permission to take the thread on a bit of a side journey... Hopefully you'll enjoy the reading!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 14, 2010 18:44

Amsterdamned
.French comment after a few minutes:..winking smiley

For those who don't understand French winking smiley

<<-Quelques mots pour la postérité ,allez !

-Sympa la basse !! Chère,hein ?

-J'te fais un prix d'ami ? <<

-Come on,a few words to go down in history/posterity ?
-This bass is cool ! Expensive ,eh ?
-do you want a reduce price ?

Date: September 14, 2010 18:45

SwayStones
Amsterdamned
.French comment after a few minutes:..winking smiley

For those who don't understand French winking smiley

<<-Quelques mots pour la postérité ,allez !

-Sympa la basse !! Chère,hein ?

-J'te fais un prix d'ami ? <<

-Come on,a few words to go down in history/posterity ?
-This bass is cool ! Expensive ,eh ?

-do you want a reduce price ?

Go and get it SwayStones!!

Date: September 14, 2010 18:49

mr_dja

Thanks to SwayStones for posting the picture of the '65 Jazz - what a beauty! Also, thanks for as giving us permission to take the thread on a bit of a side journey... Hopefully you'll enjoy the reading!

Peace,
Mr DJA

I am glad you like the photo,mr_dja .smiling smiley
Yes,this bass is a beauty ,and the photo doesn't pay tribute to it.
I saw it on a shop that is located near to the "Galerie Bortier " if you know the area.
And yes, I definitely like to read and learn about guitars /basses .I don't know how to play them but I find them beautiful.That's why I stop around each time I see some of them in a shop .

Date: September 14, 2010 19:37

Sway - Unfortunately I'm not nearly as familiar with Brussels as I'd like to be. I got to spend the summer of 1991 in western Europe and haven't been able to get back there since. I did enjoy Brussels and would love to get back there. Heck... Just get me to Europe and I'll be happy! Can you still buy EuroRail passes that allow you to travel when you please? What a great way to spend two weeks that was!

Ironicly, the only place I managed to get into a music (instrument) store was in Lyon, France. I absolutely fell in love with a Vigier six-string bass I played while I was in the shop.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 14, 2010 19:48

mr_dja

Ironicly, the only place I managed to get into a music (instrument) store was in Lyon, France. I absolutely fell in love with a Vigier six-string bass I played while I was in the shop.

Peace,
Mr DJA
Really ? In Lyon ? My hometown ? What/which shop ? Do you remember ?
I stopped around one very lately .
OK,now,all these questions deserve an answer .smiling smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 14, 2010 19:49

SwayStones

open G
Yeah,it was a stupid comment I made when I wrote "poor condition" .smiling smiley
How could I imagine than a 1965 bass would be mint ?
I said this because when I saw the bass for real it seemed quite old -and actually,it is -

No no - in no way was that a stupid comment.
it has it's dings & scratches and has been used. if that was a used car you would have every reason for a huge discount.
not so on the vintage instrument market though.

[www.gbase.com]

Date: September 14, 2010 20:18

Sway - Didn't know you were from Lyon. What a great city! With 20 years gone by, I have no memory at all which store I was in when I saw that bass. Have lot's of other (somewhat blurry) memories of a wonderful 8 days in your fine city though...

... One of my favorite all time shows that I've ever played was in an ampatheater in your town. I only wish I could have read the map I was using while trying to walk there a bit better... When I turned a corner and saw a staircase that seemed to strech beyond heaven I really wished it wasn't July that's for sure! I really wondered if I'd survive those stairs!

... I'll never forget the woman who managed to get this long-haired, lost, American college student into a subway station that was poorly marked. This after me pointing at my map, her answering in French and me saying "No. No parle vu Frances". I thought I was telling her that I didn't speek French. She seemed to understand my problem and provided me with a funny story to tell years later after someone told me what I had actually said!

... Went to a health club outside of town where I was exposed to topless (female) bathing for the first time. This particular American was not ready to walk out of the locker room and see a sea of topless women facing me!

... Found out that Lyon's celebration for "Bastille Day" is a whole lot more fun than ANY 4th of July (Independence Day) party I've been to here in the States. We were guests of the Mayor/City and had special access to a barge on the river to watch the fireworks and the drinks were flowing!

Also LOVED your "Old City" district shops and restaurants/bars.

Ahh memories...

Peace,
Mr DJA

I'VE GOT TO GET BACK TO EUROPE!!!

Date: September 15, 2010 17:55

open-g

if that was a used car you would have every reason for a huge discount.
not so on the vintage instrument market though.

Here I am going one more time to hijack my own thread -Amsterdamned,see how good I am on this one winking smiley- but a used car isn't the same that a vintage old car so I guess that's why some vintage cars are soo expensive.
Same with the basses or guitars from the 60's ,am I wrong ?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 15, 2010 19:29

in 1965 leo fender sold the company to cbs and after a year or so they started cranking out comparatively inferior instruments for awhile. this looks like a real beauty, probably one of the original Fender's from the original company, i would GUESS...the fact that its chewed on a little makes me all the more think it's solid roadworthy. odds are the materials and wood are about the best u could hope for...i'm obviously FAR from expert on tech matters but that looks like a real work horse beauty to me...do you play bass Sway? my woman friends who play bass sometimes opt for more the three quarter size necks, like say the danelectro style basses etc...more fit for smaller hands. actually that is bill wyman's issue too. small hands for the instrument. thus his characteristic playing stance and positions etc...and his choice of instruments...maybe sssoul's got a wyman's guitars thread here...?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 15, 2010 20:32

Bare in mind that people like Hendrix, Jeff Beck etc etc used these supposed inferior CBS era instruments on many classic recordings.

Just saying...

As you were. smileys with beer

Date: September 15, 2010 22:17

Beelyboy
do you play bass Sway? my woman friends who play bass sometimes opt for more the three quarter size necks, like say the danelectro style basses etc...more fit for smaller hands. actually that is bill wyman's issue too. small hands for the instrument. thus his characteristic playing stance and positions etc...and his choice of instruments....?

Are you talking about "3/4 size necks" 's Engelhardt ?
Actually,I am glad you mentionned Bill Wyman because I've always wanted to know/understand how he could play his bass with such small hands.

Date: September 16, 2010 00:22

His Majesty
Bare in mind that people like Hendrix, Jeff Beck etc etc used these supposed inferior CBS era instruments on many classic recordings.

Just saying...

As you were. smileys with beer

fair enuff. thumbs up

from wiki:

"The "long scale" necks used on Leo Fender's basses, giving a scale length (distance between nut and bridge) of 34", remain the standard for electric basses. However, 30" or "short scale" instruments, such as the Höfner 500/1 "violin bass" played by Paul McCartney, and the Fender Mustang Bass are popular, especially for players with smaller hands. While 35", 35.5" and 36" scale lengths were once only available in "boutique" instruments, in the 2000s, many manufacturers have begun offering these lengths, also called an "extra long scale." This extra long scale provides a higher string tension, which yields a more defined tone on the low "B" string of five- and six-stringed instruments (or detuned four-string basses)."

[en.wikipedia.org]

i'm not a bass player but i've had mighty good luck with old vintage danelectro short scale bass. for a guitarist, or i suppose for someone with small hands, or not really strong exercised hands ready to maniuplate cables of wound steel basically...it was a pleasant experience and surprisingly friendly fretboard, considering i am no way used to those guages of string...even tho i play a lot of right hand fingerstyle and have pretty strong right hand constantly getting worked...that don't quite do it on the bass...boy bass is a COMMITMENT physically out of my personal experience.

and from bassguitarmaster.com:
Question:
Longer scale=better tone. Shorter scale=easier to play. Period. End of discussion. Get the longest scale you can handle.

Of course, in ‘real life’ it is nowhere near that simple. ‘Better’ is, for a start, subjective. Every instrument is a compromise between the various physical constraints on design. A long scale has advantages for the lower notes but might mean that the high ‘g’ and maybe ‘c’ strings are too tight and give a harsher tone. Neck radius/profile and string spacing have easily as much effect on ease of playing as scale length. Beware of people who think a discussion on tone or playability can be dismissed in two lines. Try out as many different instruments as you can – it’s the only way to know. — Derek Tearne.

Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the consequences of an accident with the new Iridium-enriched fusion reactor. “If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive,” they said.

Response:
Watch out for scale lengths greater than 34?. The balance on these instruments tend to be left-heavy (i.e., if you are right handed). Alembic, with its very short horns, are notorious for bad balance.

All other things being equal, the longer the string, the better the sound, from my point of view (consider the length of grand piano strings and string bass strings, where length is not as constrained as on a smaller electric instrument). It takes a thoughtful designer to maintain the balance in a longer instrument, but it can be done. I play a 36? scale Fodera; it is very well balanced, and it feels and sounds terrific. It does take getting used to. And once I got used to it, other standard-sized instruments began to feel strange. My $0.02. — Rick Strong

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-16 00:31 by Beelyboy.

Date: September 16, 2010 12:09

mr_dja
.... One of my favorite all time shows that I've ever played was in an ampatheater in your town. I only wish I could have read the map I was using while trying to walk there a bit better... When I turned a corner and saw a staircase that seemed to strech beyond heaven I really wished it wasn't July that's for sure! I really wondered if I'd survive those stairs!

Yes,you are certainly talking about the ancient Roman theater of Fourvière.I had a wonderful time there last week.

[fr.wikipedia.org]

... Went to a health club outside of town where I was exposed to topless (female) bathing for the first time. This particular American was not ready to walk out of the locker room and see a sea of topless women facing me!

Yes,unlike in United States, there are a lot of women who don't wear the top of their bathsuit in swiming pools or seashore.

Also LOVED your "Old City" district shops and restaurants/bars.
Yes,Saint Jean is kinda special for me as well .

Ahh memories...

Peace,
Mr DJA

For a Stones tour ,may be ?winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 14:26 by SwayStones.

Date: September 16, 2010 15:49

SwayStones
mr_dja
.... One of my favorite all time shows that I've ever played was in an ampatheater in your town. I only wish I could have read the map I was using while trying to walk there a bit better... When I turned a corner and saw a staircase that seemed to strech beyond heaven I really wished it wasn't July that's for sure! I really wondered if I'd survive those stairs!

Yes,you certainly talk about the ancient Roman theater of Fourvière.I had a wonderful time here last week.

[fr.wikipedia.org]

That's it! What a great venue that was. If I remember correctly, as of '91 I don't think that the dressing rooms had been renovated since Roman times but that was OK. The coolest thing was watching as the sun went down and the sky went from dusk to dark... By half way through our second set I couldn't tell where the crowd ended and the sky began as there were no lights behind the crowd. Really cool feeling from the stage.

For a Stones tour ,may be ?winking smiley
When I told my wife the other week that the rumor mill was rolling with a high probability of a Stones tour and she actually brought up the suggestion of "Maybe Europe?" I'd love it! We saw them in Memphis, TN on the last tour (her first my third) and we're both ready for the next chance to see the boys!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: September 16, 2010 16:33

This is supposed to be one of the bassguitars Bill Wyman played on the 1972 and 1973 tour. You guys reckon i should buy it? It looks very cool!

Date: September 16, 2010 17:25

To add to some of the information Beelyboy found/provided.

While there is no doubt that the neck length and width are going to factor into a person's ability to play a bass, this can actually be compensated for by adjusting the length of the strap and pulling the entire bass closer to your shoulders than your waist. A low hung guitar may LOOK cooler but a higher hung guitar gets easier to play. Look for pictures of classical guitarists, sitting down with their foot on a lift to get the neck up higer. This is done to aid in the positioning of the left hand. The same principle holds true for electric basses (or guitars, etc.).

I've been trying to think of a way to demonstrate the effect without having the ability to upload pictures and I may have it... If you hold your cell phone in your left hand with your arm hanging straight down towards the floor and your fingers curved to point back towards the sky (think of the phone as a very short section of guitar neck), odds are your phone will be resting on the first segment of your fingers and the back of the phone will be pressed against your palm. Your fingers on the front side of the phone (if they're short like mine) may not even be covering the phone in this position.

Now, simply bend your left arm so your hand is up clsoe to your shoulder and allow the phone to rest in the palm of your hand on the "fleshy part" between your thumb and first finger. Now your thumb is behind the phone and your fingers on the front side are most likely passing well over the phone.

Did this make sense? I hope so. I have short fingers mounted on above average sized palms. My main bass is a Washburn Six String with what my friends refer to as a "boat oar" sized fretboard. There is no way I could play this bass with it hanging at my waist. However, with it hanging across my chest, piece of cake.

"i'm not a bass player but i've had mighty good luck with old vintage danelectro short scale bass. for a guitarist, or i suppose for someone with small hands, or not really strong exercised hands ready to maniuplate cables of wound steel basically...it was a pleasant experience and surprisingly friendly fretboard, considering i am no way used to those guages of string...even tho i play a lot of right hand fingerstyle and have pretty strong right hand constantly getting worked...that don't quite do it on the bass...boy bass is a COMMITMENT physically out of my personal experience.

I'm not sure if this was Beelyboy quoting someone or relating his own experience and either way, I don't want to give the impression that I am questioning that experience. HOWEVER that bolded quote doesn't have to be true. This from my personal experience...

While in college (undergraduate), I studied classical guitar technique on applied to an electric bass. I'd then go into the clubs and play classic rock nightly with not nearly enough amplification. As a result, when I was playing rock, I PLAYED HARD! I would literally break bass strings with my right hand while playing. Interestingly, I didn't break the string I played but the one next to it that my finger fell into after playing the note. I've seen pictures of myself playing at that time and it was amazing how far I was moving those strings...

Fast forward a couple of years to when I was studying with a jazz bassist at a graduate leve, the first thing he did was explain to me that it doesn't take nearly as much physical strength to play a bass as I was using. For some reason, people tend to think that they have to press the string down hard to get the note to sound. Actually, all you have to do is make the string make clean contact with the fret. I demonstrate this to my students by having them mute a string by touching it with a finger on their left hand above a fret where there isn't a natural harmonic and then playing steady notes on that string with their right hand. With the string simply muted, you will get a "thud" with no pitch for each note played. I then have my student SLOWLY apply more pressure with the left hand until the string makes contact with the fret and the note sounds. At this point no extra pressure is needed and any that is applied is simply wasted energy that will need to be released before moving on to the next note. No matter how hard you squeeze, you're never going to drive that string through the fret and neck to make contact with your hand on the other side so why bother trying, right? Now let me say that this is a hard concept to get through your thick little skull (it was for me and tends to be for my students as well) but in the long run it is worth ALL the mental effort.

One way to help your left hand develop a light touch is to work on getting a light touch for your right hand at the same time. They are, after all connected to each other through your brain, and believe me, if one hand is playing hard, the other one is going to follow! Instead of thinking that your right hand fingers are "plucking" the strings, think about them "brushing" across the tops of the strings. With practice you can get all the control & volume you'll ever need while only using the last 1/16-1/8 of an inch of your finger.

OK, enough is enough!! I hope this helps anyone who might read it. And if it stimulates more conversation, that'll be great as well!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 16, 2010 21:24

mr_dja
To add to some of the information Beelyboy found/provided.

While there is no doubt that the neck length and width are going to factor into a person's ability to play a bass, this can actually be compensated for by adjusting the length of the strap and pulling the entire bass closer to your shoulders than your waist. A low hung guitar may LOOK cooler but a higher hung guitar gets easier to play. Look for pictures of classical guitarists, sitting down with their foot on a lift to get the neck up higer. This is done to aid in the positioning of the left hand. The same principle holds true for electric basses (or guitars, etc.).

I've been trying to think of a way to demonstrate the effect without having the ability to upload pictures and I may have it... If you hold your cell phone in your left hand with your arm hanging straight down towards the floor and your fingers curved to point back towards the sky (think of the phone as a very short section of guitar neck), odds are your phone will be resting on the first segment of your fingers and the back of the phone will be pressed against your palm. Your fingers on the front side of the phone (if they're short like mine) may not even be covering the phone in this position.

Now, simply bend your left arm so your hand is up clsoe to your shoulder and allow the phone to rest in the palm of your hand on the "fleshy part" between your thumb and first finger. Now your thumb is behind the phone and your fingers on the front side are most likely passing well over the phone.

Did this make sense? I hope so. I have short fingers mounted on above average sized palms. My main bass is a Washburn Six String with what my friends refer to as a "boat oar" sized fretboard. There is no way I could play this bass with it hanging at my waist. However, with it hanging across my chest, piece of cake.

"i'm not a bass player but i've had mighty good luck with old vintage danelectro short scale bass. for a guitarist, or i suppose for someone with small hands, or not really strong exercised hands ready to maniuplate cables of wound steel basically...it was a pleasant experience and surprisingly friendly fretboard, considering i am no way used to those guages of string...even tho i play a lot of right hand fingerstyle and have pretty strong right hand constantly getting worked...that don't quite do it on the bass...boy bass is a COMMITMENT physically out of my personal experience.

I'm not sure if this was Beelyboy quoting someone or relating his own experience and either way, I don't want to give the impression that I am questioning that experience. HOWEVER that bolded quote doesn't have to be true. This from my personal experience...

While in college (undergraduate), I studied classical guitar technique on applied to an electric bass. I'd then go into the clubs and play classic rock nightly with not nearly enough amplification. As a result, when I was playing rock, I PLAYED HARD! I would literally break bass strings with my right hand while playing. Interestingly, I didn't break the string I played but the one next to it that my finger fell into after playing the note. I've seen pictures of myself playing at that time and it was amazing how far I was moving those strings...

Fast forward a couple of years to when I was studying with a jazz bassist at a graduate leve, the first thing he did was explain to me that it doesn't take nearly as much physical strength to play a bass as I was using. For some reason, people tend to think that they have to press the string down hard to get the note to sound. Actually, all you have to do is make the string make clean contact with the fret. I demonstrate this to my students by having them mute a string by touching it with a finger on their left hand above a fret where there isn't a natural harmonic and then playing steady notes on that string with their right hand. With the string simply muted, you will get a "thud" with no pitch for each note played. I then have my student SLOWLY apply more pressure with the left hand until the string makes contact with the fret and the note sounds. At this point no extra pressure is needed and any that is applied is simply wasted energy that will need to be released before moving on to the next note. No matter how hard you squeeze, you're never going to drive that string through the fret and neck to make contact with your hand on the other side so why bother trying, right? Now let me say that this is a hard concept to get through your thick little skull (it was for me and tends to be for my students as well) but in the long run it is worth ALL the mental effort.

One way to help your left hand develop a light touch is to work on getting a light touch for your right hand at the same time. They are, after all connected to each other through your brain, and believe me, if one hand is playing hard, the other one is going to follow! Instead of thinking that your right hand fingers are "plucking" the strings, think about them "brushing" across the tops of the strings. With practice you can get all the control & volume you'll ever need while only using the last 1/16-1/8 of an inch of your finger.

OK, enough is enough!! I hope this helps anyone who might read it. And if it stimulates more conversation, that'll be great as well!

Peace,
Mr DJA

whoo wat a great and thoughtful post; lots of info and perspective to learn from thank you. yes that is me in the quoted/emboldened excerpt...meant to imply the Danelectro experience very pleasant and productive even easy on me as a six string player. comparatively when i pick up my friends actual Fender Jazz or P i have nowhere the facility to really just buzz around...without committed practice, which i've never earned as a bass player...

i've played several of the Jones' models (Corners Guitars in Nashville, where Jones is based and his product is not hard to audition)
...and they felt, compared to the vintage Danelectro, very player friendly, very well designed... thus my interest in Sway's model in the lead post...she being a (lovely) female and probably having small hands as per Bill W. my own hands are kinda i guess normal size for size for average guy...

i'm a six strng player and lately studying more fingerstyle so as i incorporate more bass lines and little composed runs etc...i'm getting more interested in occasionally playing the actual bass track...thanks so much for your post!

Date: September 16, 2010 21:48

Beelyboy

You're more than welcome. Glad you enjoyed the post.

I'm opposite you in the fact that I'm a bass player who is constantly playing more and more standard guitar. Being used to the longer necks and thus wider fret spacing I've for years had to struggle with the smaller spacing of the guitar. Then ya'll had to add that silly third into the tuning! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change a thing about the guitar or it's tuning, just relating that I understand what you're saying in discussing the hurdles that must be overcome to adjust to the differences - just in reverse.

Thankfully, for me, over the past 10+ years of really focusing & practicing the guitar, my hands now understand that they are two different instruments and thus, my hands work differently on the two without being hung up on the difference. I doubt guitar will ever be a natural for me as the bass but it's getting close. Hopefully the same will eventually be true for you!

Good luck with your explorations into the Bass end of things! If you ever think I might be able to help, feel free to let me know!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 17, 2010 11:56

mr_dja & beelyboy, I'll take some extra time to read your meaningful posts .smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 17, 2010 12:07

Bass-guitars is all about Fender Jazz and for me with signature Marcus Miller.

smoking smiley

Date: September 17, 2010 20:33

Come On
Bass-guitars is all about Fender Jazz and for me with signature Marcus Miller.

smoking smiley

thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home