Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Other Bands The Stones get on well with..
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 20, 2010 10:16

What other Bands have The Stones been close to..and always got on well with?

Re: Other Bands The Stones get on well with..
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 20, 2010 11:03

Interesting question,colonial.
Most of the time ,musicians hang on with other musicians,but concerning the Stones,I wouldn't know if they get on well with other bands .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 20, 2010 11:25

SwayStones..gi'day..The only Band I can really think of is AC/DC..The Stones have always spoken highly of the Young brothers Augus and Malcolm.And they all seen to get on really well with each other.But im sure there would of been quite a few other bands in the 60s and 70s..cheers

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: August 20, 2010 11:32

beatles meters j.geil's corrs stereophonics

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 11:53

Yup The Beatles. They were good friends and they even considered starting a record label together, but it fizzled because of their difficulties with Allen Klein and The Beatles disarray after the death of Brian Epstein. Throughout the years they remained close, especially Mick, Keith and John. Paul is a fan as well, and has been to many of their shows.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:00

What about The Who? They did have them on Rock n Roll circus.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:11

klrkcr
What about The Who? They did have them on Rock n Roll circus.

I think Mick's quite a mate of Pete Townshend ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:38

Dave Matthews?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 20, 2010 13:21

Definitely not Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant famously said the Stones would bore em at the Forum as the Stones played LA Forum in 75.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 20, 2010 13:31

Silver Dagger
Definitely not Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant famously said the Stones would bore em at the Forum as the Stones played LA Forum in 75.

I never heard that before, but I can believe it as their did seem to be a bit of rivalry between the bands in the 70's and to be fair Keith had slagged off Zep quite a bit back then as well, But I do think at least Page and Keith are friendly.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 20, 2010 13:51

Not a band, but... Bob Dylan for sure.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 20, 2010 15:08

Ket
Silver Dagger

I never heard that before, but I can believe it as their did seem to be a bit of rivalry between the bands in the 70's and to be fair Keith had slagged off Zep quite a bit back then as well, But I do think at least Page and Keith are friendly.

Don't forget that Zep recorded two albums at Stargroves, which was owned by Jagger. The Who and many other bands recorded there as well. And Page contributed some licks to "One Hit (to the body)".

I think the Stones were friendly with the Small Faces, and the Faces, as well. Marriott and Lane did some back up singing on 'Satanic Majesties', which was probably one of the first guest appearances on a Stones album.

Also The Meters - Zigaboo was in the New Barbarians with Keef.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 20, 2010 15:11

ZZ Top

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: August 20, 2010 15:40

Clapton & Tina

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 20, 2010 16:03

Brian seems to have been friends with just about every musician who wasn't a Rolling Stone.

But the whole band? I'm not sure. Mick Jagger and Bowie, of course.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 20, 2010 16:52

Bob Marley & The Wailers.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2010 23:35

David John & The Mood ...........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 20, 2010 23:58

Silver Dagger

Not true at all. The "Bore 'Em at the Forum" quote originated from Jimmy Page about JETHRO TULL...as told by John Paul Jones in the interview snippet below:

"Ian [Anderson] is a pain in the ass. We toured with Jethro Dull once and I think he probably spoke three words to Jimmy or I at any one time. The band was nice but he was such a funny f*cker. His music bores the pants off me...it’s awful. Page came up with the greatest line about them. He had a title for a live album when Jethro was playing in Los Angeles: Bore 'Em at The Forum."

- John Paul Jones, Guitar World - 1977

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 21, 2010 00:01

The Faces. smiling smiley

Actually, they might not have had much contact except with Ronnie before the Faces split. I dunno...

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 21, 2010 00:09

Jah Paul
Silver Dagger

Not true at all. The "Bore 'Em at the Forum" quote originated from Jimmy Page about JETHRO TULL...as told by John Paul Jones in the interview snippet below:

"Ian [Anderson] is a pain in the ass. We toured with Jethro Dull once and I think he probably spoke three words to Jimmy or I at any one time. The band was nice but he was such a funny f*cker. His music bores the pants off me...it’s awful. Page came up with the greatest line about them. He had a title for a live album when Jethro was playing in Los Angeles: Bore 'Em at The Forum."

- John Paul Jones, Guitar World - 1977

Thanks for clearing that up, I was wondering about that because Plant saying that about the Stones didn't sound right to me.

I recently read an interview with Ian Anderson in a 1971 issue of Rolling Stone. It really surprised me, I didn't know much about him before. He had never smoked pot, was totally anti-drugs, and said that he usually stayed in his hotel room reading when they were on the road. And the guitarist Martin Barre had only smoked pot a few times, and said he didn't like it all that much. Go figure.

Re: Zep. Keef did say this in a 1969 interview: "I played their album quite a few times when I first got it, but then the guy's voice started to get on my nerves. I don't know why; maybe he's a little too acrobatic. But Jimmy Page is a great guitar player."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-21 00:16 by Keefan.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 21, 2010 13:19

I know Ronnie used to hang out a lot with Keith Moon. And Keith's a good friend of Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen. ZZ Top are pals of the Stones. Tom Waits used to hang out with Keith, but I'm not sure if they're still pals.
Bowie and Ronson used to hang out with Mick. And I think the Swedish band Ace of Base are pals of the Stones, for some weird reason. Perhaps because one of them has a nice boat/yacht and took some of the Stones boating in Stockholm in 2003... Perhaps the Vikings would like to fill in on this?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:19

Keefan
Re: Zep. Keef did say this in a 1969 interview: "I played their album quite a few times when I first got it, but then the guy's voice started to get on my nerves. I don't know why; maybe he's a little too acrobatic. But Jimmy Page is a great guitar player."

yeah, i think this voice is really a problem.

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:54

Keith Richards and Tom Waits - the two coolest people of their generation.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:59

Buddy Guy, Chuck Berry, Jack White

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 16:04

Great clip with Waits!!! Thanks for posting. I have never seen that one.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 16:24

keith looks very good in that clip. like him better thin and dyed.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 21, 2010 16:55

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 21, 2010 19:52

Not a band, but Francoise Hardy was friendly with them. Didn't Mick say she was his ideal woman? I think a Stone or two pursued her romantically but she wisely ended up with Jacques Dutronc.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 21, 2010 20:11

Addicted
I know Ronnie used to hang out a lot with Keith Moon. And Keith's a good friend of Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen.

No he isnt.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 21, 2010 21:02

Robert Plant was pissed with Ian Anderson because he critiized Plant's lyrics.

Funny thing about Keith and LZ is that he kinda open for them.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home