Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Time For Fans To Be Heard! Stones Need To Listen Up!
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 6, 2010 03:53

If I have learned anything from being on this forum over the last few months it is that all of us hardcore Stones fans want to be heard, not only by our peers, but more importantly, from the Stones themselves.

As recently as about a month ago I stated I would support any form of tour including a war horse laden stadium tour although my preference was for all new material in a theater setting. Upon further reflection I have decided that I will not be attending any future Stones concerts held in stadiums that are saturated with war horses, "been there, done that"!

In my opinion the 'A Bigger Bang' tour was the perfect vehicle for the Stones to bid farewell to their stadium touring days.

If I have been listening correctly it appears that the majority of us would prefer to see the Stones in smaller settings (theaters, clubs, etc.) rather than in the larger venues (stadiums and arenas) that lean heavily on the war horses. Am I correct, or incorrect?

Assuming that the majority of us are in agreement and would prefer smaller venues with more variety in set lists, is it then OK to assume that the Stones (themselves) might just be interested in how their hardcore fans feel? Or is it like many on the list feel, that they truly don't give a damn about our opinions?

Re: Time For Fans To Be Heard! Stones Need To Listen Up!
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 6, 2010 04:34

stonecrow..It's like any business..its all do with the numbers..as the old saying goes majority rules..you can't please everyone.Theres always going to be someone thats going to miss out..thats just the way it is mate

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 6, 2010 05:36

It would be unfair for the Stones to tour in theatres and clubs, because only a small number of fans would get to see the Stones perform. I feel many times that the people selected for the small venues are those who know someone else, who are important in some way, or who are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Take the audience in the Shine a Light movie. Who were these people? They were friends of the director, friends of Ronnie Wood or other band members, local politicians, or a friend of someone who knows the Stones.

No, the Stones need to have the arena and stadium shows so that the little people, like me and my wife, can enjoy them.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: September 6, 2010 05:41

I can imagine the ticket demand would be really strong for any farewell "retirement" shows. So good luck trying to get tickets if they played at Ronny Scott's or the equivalent, even though that would be brilliant.

Also they're going to need the big venues just to cover the costs of the medical staff they're going to need to tour with them this time around. cool smiley

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 6, 2010 05:45

STADIUMS! With MT! Yesssssssssssssss

Date: September 6, 2010 08:03

Yeah, of course I would love it if the Stones would do a U.S. tour of tiny little clubs. And I could actually get tickets for the Shows. Would I pay $5k for a ticket? Absolutely not! You can be sure that tickets won't be $50 either especially since the Stones won't be able to offset the costs ALA Licks tour with the profits from the numerous Arena and Stadium gigs. Demand to get into the gigs would be absolutely overwhelming and unless you can afford to pay large sums of money, happen to be a world famous celebrity or have a very solid inside connection with the band, very few hard core fans (and casual fans) would actually get to see them.

Of course the Stones could foot the entire cost of the whole tour and give away the tickets via some sort of lottery to hardcore fans but I give this about as much chance as the Stones inviting a fat, addled and drunken assed Taylor to come along on tour. Its NOT happening...

The Stones might throw in a few arenas like MSG, maybe even a theater or two (good luck on that one) but Stadiums will be a huge part of the 2011 tour plans.
Of course this is completely dependant on if they can make the numbers work and Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie all remain in good health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-06 08:20 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 6, 2010 11:00

stonescrow
If I have learned anything from being on this forum over the last few months it is that all of us hardcore Stones fans want to be heard, not only by our peers, but more importantly, from the Stones themselves.

As recently as about a month ago I stated I would support any form of tour including a war horse laden stadium tour although my preference was for all new material in a theater setting. Upon further reflection I have decided that I will not be attending any future Stones concerts held in stadiums that are saturated with war horses, "been there, done that"!

In my opinion the 'A Bigger Bang' tour was the perfect vehicle for the Stones to bid farewell to their stadium touring days.

If I have been listening correctly it appears that the majority of us would prefer to see the Stones in smaller settings (theaters, clubs, etc.) rather than in the larger venues (stadiums and arenas) that lean heavily on the war horses. Am I correct, or incorrect?

Assuming that the majority of us are in agreement and would prefer smaller venues with more variety in set lists, is it then OK to assume that the Stones (themselves) might just be interested in how their hardcore fans feel? Or is it like many on the list feel, that they truly don't give a damn about our opinions?
stonescrow..Heres a last resort if ya' want to be heard by The Stones..ya' could get a few hundred diehard fans together and stand outside the Stones Hotel on their next tour with a picket each..NO STADIUMS..NO STADIUMS

Posted by: Rock'n'roller ()
Date: September 6, 2010 11:39

Picket the Stones - brilliant idea! 'Security, main foyer, now'...)

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 6, 2010 12:43

flilflam
It would be unfair for the Stones to tour in theatres and clubs, because only a small number of fans would get to see the Stones perform. I feel many times that the people selected for the small venues are those who know someone else, who are important in some way, or who are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Take the audience in the Shine a Light movie. Who were these people? They were friends of the director, friends of Ronnie Wood or other band members, local politicians, or a friend of someone who knows the Stones.

No, the Stones need to have the arena and stadium shows so that the little people, like me and my wife, can enjoy them.

Exactly. And there is no way the Stones could do just a theater and clubs tour in this day and age. Even with multiple nights with tickets at hundreds of dollars, they wouldn't make enough money, and I'm not talking the ridiculous guarantees from Cohl that they are now accustomed and feel entitled to. Even if that weren't the case, which we all know it will be, there is no way they will ever tour for a "reasonable" amount of money, there just isn't much money in a tour of small venues.

Not to mention the fact that if they did do what some consider the tour of their dreams, everyone here would be bitching, and rightfully so, about not being able to get tickets for the reasons mentioned above and in other posts. Whenever they have played a small venue, like the 78 tour, or pre-tour warm-ups, it's been pandemonium as far as getting tickets go. You think a whole tour now, would be any better?

Simple fact of the matter is, the days of going down to a venue of reasonable size-like Madison Square-the day of the show, copping a 12 dollar 3rd row ticket for 30 dollars, and enjoying a show of fresh, kick-ass Stones with like-minded people, who look like they belong there and not at a college football game or golf-outing, are over. 300 dollar ticket prices kill that vibe.

The only way you will ever see them again is a stadium tour. There might be a mix of small venues included here and there, but that's it, and you'll be lucky to get tickets.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 6, 2010 16:21

...get over it...it's going to be one big massive send off.....they are going to be adored and sent off...they want the spectacle and they deserve it.....and I guarantee you...if they call it the last tour....they ain't coming back...not Jagger's style to bait and switch like that....it's going to be one last huge party...if it's not the last tour...then it will still be massive because it's only rock 'n roll...

Date: September 7, 2010 20:24

colonial
stonecrow..It's like any business..its all do with the numbers..as the old saying goes majority rules..you can't please everyone.Theres always going to be someone thats going to miss out..thats just the way it is mate

Colonial,

I have no problem with "majority rules" mate, however, the question is, what do most of us fans prefer? If it's stadium tours and war horses then so be it. Maybe my real problem is more with the set lists than the stadiums themselves. I guess I am just getting bored with tour after tour featuring the same old worn out war horses. The Stones have so much more to offer.

Date: September 7, 2010 20:28

flilflam

Very good points. As I said to Colonial maybe my problem is more with the set lists than the stadiums themselves.

Date: September 7, 2010 20:31

mickscarey
STADIUMS! With MT! Yesssssssssssssss

Now, this is one stadium show I will attend!

Date: September 7, 2010 20:34

colonial
stonescrow

stonescrow..Heres a last resort if ya' want to be heard by The Stones..ya' could get a few hundred diehard fans together and stand outside the Stones Hotel on their next tour with a picket each..NO STADIUMS..NO STADIUMS

Date: September 7, 2010 20:39

colonial
stonescrow

Seriously, how do us fans go about being heard? Do you think anyone from the Stones Camp listens in to IORR?

Date: September 7, 2010 20:52

its good to be anywhere
Yeah, of course I would love it if the Stones would do a U.S. tour of tiny little clubs. And I could actually get tickets for the Shows. Would I pay $5k for a ticket? Absolutely not! You can be sure that tickets won't be $50 either especially since the Stones won't be able to offset the costs ALA Licks tour with the profits from the numerous Arena and Stadium gigs. Demand to get into the gigs would be absolutely overwhelming and unless you can afford to pay large sums of money, happen to be a world famous celebrity or have a very solid inside connection with the band, very few hard core fans (and casual fans) would actually get to see them.

Of course the Stones could foot the entire cost of the whole tour and give away the tickets via some sort of lottery to hardcore fans but I give this about as much chance as the Stones inviting a fat, addled and drunken assed Taylor to come along on tour. Its NOT happening...

The Stones might throw in a few arenas like MSG, maybe even a theater or two (good luck on that one) but Stadiums will be a huge part of the 2011 tour plans.
Of course this is completely dependant on if they can make the numbers work and Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie all remain in good health.

OK, I have accepted the fact that we are going to have to live with a stadium tour, however, do you think there is anything us fans can do to influence the Stones to do fewer war horses next time around? I can live with the stadiums, but I am getting sick and tired of tour after tour of old worn out war horses, outside of JJF of course.

Date: September 7, 2010 20:54

Rip This
...get over it...it's going to be one big massive send off.....they are going to be adored and sent off...they want the spectacle and they deserve it.....and I guarantee you...if they call it the last tour....they ain't coming back...not Jagger's style to bait and switch like that....it's going to be one last huge party...if it's not the last tour...then it will still be massive because it's only rock 'n roll...

OK, I am over it! Just fewer war horses please! How about actually featuring the new album from top to bottom?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: September 7, 2010 20:56

stonescrow
OK, I have accepted the fact that we are going to have to live with a stadium tour, however, do you think there is anything us fans can do to influence the Stones to do fewer war horses next time around? I can live with the stadiums, but I am getting sick and tired of tour after tour of old worn out war horses, outside of JJF of course.
i don't think there is anything we can do because we (the people that post and lurk on iorr) are a small percentage of the stones' fanbase. and the stones are not performing for us, they're performing for the regular fans, the ones that WANT to hear brown sugar and satisfaction. how many people go to a show and want to hear some obscure tune? not many.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:18

stonescrow

Seriously, how do us fans go about being heard? Do you think anyone from the Stones Camp listens in to IORR?

Its been tried before. Didnt work then, isnt gonna work now. Fans from various boards have got together in the past, so this (honourable) idea isn't something new.

You might get thrown a bone by the Stones becoming aware of demands to play one certain song on a tour that the fans really wanted ("Moonlight Mile" in '99, CYHMK in '02, 'SWay' on the last tour), but thats about it.

The Stones bow the knee to corporations and high rollers, not diehards.

You'll get stadiums, you'll get warhorses, you'll get questionable ticket allocations and extortionate pricing, and you'll like it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:48

Gazza
stonescrow

Its been tried before. Didnt work then, isnt gonna work now. Fans from various boards have got together in the past, so this (honourable) idea isn't something new.

You might get thrown a bone by the Stones becoming aware of demands to play one certain song on a tour that the fans really wanted ("Moonlight Mile" in '99, CYHMK in '02, 'SWay' on the last tour), but thats about it.

You'll get stadiums, you'll get warhorses, you'll get questionable ticket allocations and extortionate pricing, and you'll like it.

<<< You'll get stadiums, you'll get warhorses, you'll get questionable ticket allocations and extortionate pricing, and you'll like it. >>>

F**k me, you got any other good news for us this evening ??????????

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: September 7, 2010 21:52

I said you'll like it. Isnt that good? LOL

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: September 7, 2010 22:00

Gazza
I said you'll like it. Isnt that good? LOL

We can always dream.

CBII

Date: September 7, 2010 23:45

bernardanderson
stonescrow
i don't think there is anything we can do because we (the people that post and lurk on iorr) are a small percentage of the stones' fanbase. and the stones are not performing for us, they're performing for the regular fans, the ones that WANT to hear brown sugar and satisfaction. how many people go to a show and want to hear some obscure tune? not many.

I have to admit that the 40,000 at Qwest Field in '06 seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. You would think the Stones themselves would tire of doing the same old war horses tour in and tour out?

Date: September 7, 2010 23:59

Gazza
stonescrow

To bad they couldn't break from past practice and throw us a bone in the form of a concert or two just for their hardcore fans. Maybe an HBO or IMAX event shown around the globe and later released to DVD dedicated just to us? Gazza, am I dreaming here or do you think they would actually consider doing something like this for their hardcore fan base?

Date: September 8, 2010 01:26

Nice idea.

I dont think there's a prayer of such a DVD happening, to be honest.

There's too much money to be made out of a commercial release.

Date: September 8, 2010 01:59

Gazza
Nice idea.

Thanks. Sad that everything in this world today seems to boil down to money. I would like to think that if some of us from this forum just happened to stumble into Keith in some pub somewhere, and could share a few drinks with him, he might just be open to such an idea, but there I go again, dreaming.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 8, 2010 02:01

I'd just ask them to watch Bowie's 'A Reality Tour' DVD. When I watch it I find myself thinking 'this is Bowie at his peak'.

Date: September 8, 2010 02:35

stonescrow
Gazza
Nice idea.

Thanks. Sad that everything in this world today seems to boil down to money. I would like to think that if some of us from this forum just happened to stumble into Keith in some pub somewhere, and could share a few drinks with him, he might just be open to such an idea, but there I go again, dreaming.

Its a sign of the times we live in. The old saying that money is the root of all evil. While its maybe an exaggeration, the relentless pursuit of vast sums of it by people who already have plenty of it has ruined politicians (no loss there, admittedly), the world economy, sport and lots of other things - the music industry is no exception, unfortunately.

Date: September 8, 2010 03:37

Gazza
stonescrow
Gazza
Nice idea.

Its a sign of the times we live in. The old saying that money is the root of all evil. While its maybe an exaggeration, the relentless pursuit of vast sums of it by people who already have plenty of it has ruined politicians (no loss there, admittedly), the world economy, sport and lots of other things - the music industry is no exception, unfortunately.

Well stated, mate.

Posted by: Mooseman ()
Date: September 8, 2010 07:58

I have been reading this thread about big venues versus small venues and it reminded me of this interview

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home