Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best .RAR download tool
Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: August 25, 2010 22:20

Hello all:

I'm sure it's been asked several times before, but what is a safe, reliable source for opening .rar files? The majority of shows I want to download online are compressed in this format and I would appreciate any info. on where to go to get the tools to do so without putting my computer at risk. And yes, if its safe and FREE, that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: Best .RAR download tool
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2010 22:29

The tool doesn't matter, it's what's in the archives that could harm your PC. Anyway, did you try Winrar?

Date: August 25, 2010 22:47

Koen, thanks for the prompt response. When possible, could you please elaborate on how this could harm my PC? I looked at Winrar - Is that the way to go? Is it safe? Forgive my ignorance, I am not the most tech-savvy guy out there!!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 26, 2010 00:04

I cannot comment on Winrar since I have a Mac and use another utility.

Anything you download from the internets could potentially contain something that could be bad for your PC. But with music it's not very likely that this will happen, I've never heard of such a thing.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 26, 2010 01:17

Free RAR Extract Frog works very well for me and you get a drawing of a frog while it's working. But I haven't tried any others to compare them.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 26, 2010 04:07

7-zip, it's free, clean, and easy to use.

Date: August 27, 2010 17:36

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check these out and see what happens. Having the ability to open .rar files will enhance my already considerable bootleg collection nicely!!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 27, 2010 18:59

oldbarbarian78
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check these out and see what happens. Having the ability to open .rar files will enhance my already considerable bootleg collection nicely!!

You bet it will. So many treasures in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. I love it there. It's a very good place to be. Fine people there too. Enjoy!

Posted by: dph ()
Date: August 29, 2010 19:31

Another vote for 7-zip: [www.7-zip.org]. Install it then right click the .rar to extract files (then delete the .rar).

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 29, 2010 19:37

I use Win-zip and never had a problem. I also have Norton Security and it has been pretty dependable about flaging any software or download that is suspicious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home