Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chuck Berry Website
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 17, 2010 01:46

[www.chuckberry.com]

Enjoy the man & music that gave Keith his style and sound

"To me, Chuck Berry always was the epitome of rhythm and blues playing, rock and roll playing. It was beautiful, effortless, and his timing was perfection. He is rhythm supreme. He plays that lovely double-string stuff, which I got down a long time ago, but I'm still getting the hang of. Later I realized why he played that way--because of the sheer physical size of the guy. I mean, he makes one of those big Gibsons look like a ukulele!"
-- guitarist Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-17 01:48 by Marhsall.

Re: Chuck Berry Website
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: August 17, 2010 02:35

chuck berry? never heard of him.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 21, 2010 16:34

There's a new facebook page dedicated to Chuck Berry. This is not a tribute page but an official one. There's daily news posts and other junk for your pleasure. If you are bored stiff, it just might be worth a look. You can view it in read only mode with the link provided, for those facebook addicts, you should be able to leave comments.

The Real Chuck Berry Page on Facebook

CBII

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 21, 2010 16:47

The great and absolutely king of Rock and Roll coño!!!
We miss you over here in the islands!!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: August 21, 2010 16:49

carlitosbaez

Carlitos
Tenerife

Still one of my favorite places on Earth Carlitos. A true paradise.

Date: August 21, 2010 16:55

Thanks CBII, You told me before, any chance you are comin to Spain these days or another European tour or that tour you made in US I saw in Montain View, San Francisco I believe in 1999 with your father, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard, could you post the poster or ticket copies over here of that event over there or anywhere in States?
I missed that ticket and the little poster they gave us at the entrance, don´t know where I put it!!!
Million Thanks!!!
Carlitos
Tenerife

CBII
carlitosbaez

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: August 21, 2010 17:07

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 21, 2010 17:57

carlitosbaez

If Chuck would have played the Blues mainly, he´d still be great. But this, as the last few years....not necessary.imo
I have every CB record, and i really like to listen to them, like the songs, the lyrics and his impact. but he lost a little bit since the 00 years

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 21, 2010 22:02

Interesting article about Chuck in the latest issue of Rolling Stone...

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 21, 2010 22:18

Poor little Richard..

Date: August 23, 2010 16:22

carlitosbaez
Thanks CBII, You told me before, any chance you are comin to Spain these days or another European tour or that tour you made in US I saw in Montain View, San Francisco I believe in 1999 with your father, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard, could you post the poster or ticket copies over here of that event over there or anywhere in States?
I missed that ticket and the little poster they gave us at the entrance, don´t know where I put it!!!
Million Thanks!!!
Carlitos
Tenerife

CBII
carlitosbaez

Carlitos
Tenerife

Carlitos, we did a single show date in Italy this month and there was talk of more shows in Europe this year. I don't know where but I'll suggest the Canary Islands and other places in Spain. It would be really nice to spend a couple of weeks touring and do a few more outdoor festivals.

CBII

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 23, 2010 17:11

CBII
carlitosbaez

Carlitos
Tenerife

Hi CB. What are some of the other faraway places you have visited with the band? Any pleasant surprises? Any disappointments?

Date: August 23, 2010 18:40

The Grand Canary Islands, Istanbul Turkey and Porto Alegre Brazil are all a long, long way from Saint Louis. The Canary Islands are so small you can go from city to tropical forest by simply walking from the beach toward the center. Once you are away from the airport in Istanbul it's like being in a time warp. Ancient structures everywhere and Ox carts pulling goods to market. Porto Alegra is near the southern tip of Brazil. It's so far south of the equator the sun is way, way, way to the north instead of the south like I'm used to it being.

Pleasant surprises?
I'd guess all the Castles my dad has been booked to play. Camp Bestival at Dorchester Castle pops into mind. What really stands out about that one is there's a military firing range not to far from the castle. Our driver new of an alternate way to the Castle grounds and avoid traffic. This route took us through narrow lanes along farms and meadows. I noticed a road sign that said 'TRACKED VEHICLE CROSSING'. I did not think much about it and figured the farmers drove their tractors on the road. The next sign I noticed said 'SUDDEN GUN FIRE', WTF? Once we arrived at the Castle it looked like something out of a Robin Hood movie. The shows at the B1 Maximum in Moscow were really cool too! I was really taken aback by how into my Dad they were. I remembered the stories about Rock n Roll music was snuck into the country and played quietly in back rooms. I had no idea the level of popularity my dad had in Russia. I should have known better since he and Jimmy Marsala (dad's bass player of 37 years) had done 2 shows INSIDE the Kremlin! It was right after Putin was elected and I think the first time ANY western Rock act played there. I have to say doing the show at the 100 Club was another big one for me. Knowing all the people that played on that stage before I stood there was awe inspiring. Jim Driver pulled off a great one booking my father there. Same holds true for the shows at the Jazz Cafe. Both places remind me of the atmosphere of Blueberry Hill, nice small places with great sight lines.

Don't get me started on all the excellent hotels in Europe. Man, there's only a handful that even come close in the United States. Big or small, they are fantastic.

BIG surprises.
The biggest surprise (not pleasant in the slightest) was when our Brazilian promoter was beaten up, shot and killed in Sao Paulo right after we returned to our hotel for the night. My dad had just put on a blistering set that night and was ready to go to sleep. Fabio went to dinner with a couple of his associates and as he pulled up to the hotel he was accosted, kidnapped and taken for a 'ride'.

As to disappointments... Nope, can't say I have had any with the exception of not playing in Europe and Brazil as much as I'd like to. It was super fun doing 4 or 5 2 - 3 week tours. I absolutely LOVED the fact we could start a tour in Moscow or northern Norway where it was freezing cold and end up in the tropics like Tenirife. Same thing in Brazil. Porto Alegre would be in the 10c at night and Fortaleza would be 36 - 38c. Oh man, I do miss that. Hopefully, the Chuck Berry tour train will have a full head of steam this fall and winter.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 23, 2010 18:48

CB II, I always enjoy your posts. especially this last on, a possible book comes to mind. Hope you give it some thought, you probably have already. ( a bio on your Dad? combined with travel essys, observations?) man I'd sure buy it.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 23, 2010 18:53

Don't forget Holland and Belgium!!! I'll be there.

Date: August 23, 2010 19:00

Harm

I'm with you on that! Amsterdam and Brussels would be great. Hey, were's that one place called the Gasometer or something like that? Didn't you come to that show?

Date: August 23, 2010 19:01

CBII
Harm

I'm with you on that! Amsterdam and Brussels would be great. Hey, were's that one place called the Gasometer or something like that? Didn't you come to that show?

I just looked on my dad's website. The Gasometer is in Austria. Big round looking thing if I remember correctly.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 23, 2010 19:04

duke richardson
CB II, I always enjoy your posts. especially this last on, a possible book comes to mind. Hope you give it some thought, you probably have already. ( a bio on your Dad? combined with travel essys, observations?) man I'd sure buy it.

Very good idea. If Charles' posts on here are any indication, it'd be a great read.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 23, 2010 19:05

CBII
Harm

I was in Brussels in the Cirque Royal the last time thumbs up
And after that I was in London where unfortunately... saw Jools Holland in the Royal Albert Hall instead. One of my dream venues.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 23, 2010 20:04

gasometer is in austria, vienna and way to big for a chuck berry gig this time

Date: August 23, 2010 21:29

CBII
There's a new facebook page dedicated to Chuck Berry. The Real Chuck Berry Page on Facebook

...There's an "Error"-message when you click this link...?!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: August 23, 2010 23:00

CBII: "... and there was talk of more shows in Europe this year. I don't know where but I'll suggest..."

... Belgrade, Serbia! I still cannot forget 30 june 2005, on the day of the concert they said on our news that Chuck cancelled the rest of the tour (he did play in Zagreb/Croatia 2 days before the Belgrade date), he got ill if memory serves... I'd love to see you guys.

All the best to you and the rest of the family,

Milan Z.

Date: August 23, 2010 23:06

MississippiBullfrog
CBII
There's a new facebook page dedicated to Chuck Berry. The Real Chuck Berry Page on Facebook

This facebook 'PAGE' stuff is goofy. Try this link instead. Uh, try this one instead.

Date: August 23, 2010 23:10

Harm
CBII
Harm

I was in Brussels in the Cirque Royal the last time thumbs up
And after that I was in London where unfortunately... saw Jools Holland in the Royal Albert Hall instead. One of my dream venues.

Got it, Brussels. Hey man, Jools Holland at the Royal Albert Hall, I don't blame you one bit! That's one I'd love to play myself.

Date: August 23, 2010 23:14

CBII
MississippiBullfrog
CBII

This facebook 'PAGE' stuff is goofy. Try this link instead. Uh, try this one instead.

Research is in order. Facebook IS goofy. It will be fixed. Apparently, for non facebook members something is preventing the display of links. DOH!

Date: August 23, 2010 23:20

duke richardson

There's plenty of stories from over the years. I did write up a bunch of them just so I had something to look back at years from now. Putting them together? Never thought of that although it is a good thought.

There's an entire book in my head just about the rehearsals, concerts and misadventures during the Hail, Hail Rock n Roll project. To say the least, Keith Richards is a really funny (funny as in hilarious) person to interact with. Man, that's 25 years ago now!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 24, 2010 07:33

CBII
duke richardson

There's plenty of stories from over the years. I did write up a bunch of them just so I had something to look back at years from now. Putting them together? Never thought of that although it is a good thought.

There's an entire book in my head just about the rehearsals, concerts and misadventures during the Hail, Hail Rock n Roll project. To say the least, Keith Richards is a really funny (funny as in hilarious) person to interact with. Man, that's 25 years ago now!

Were you around for much of that, are you in the film at all?

Date: August 24, 2010 15:36

bustedtrousers
CBII
duke richardson

I was there for nearly the entire thing. There's some passing shots of me but no interview or stuff like that.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 24, 2010 15:57

CBII
bustedtrousers
CBII
duke richardson

I was there for nearly the entire thing. There's some passing shots of me but no interview or stuff like that.

although it would be a lot of preparation and easier said than done for sure, you're clearly a writer...and you've got a lot of insight, lot to write about, regarding your Dad...and the 'Hail Hail Rock and Roll' events..
man it would be great!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 24, 2010 17:02

CBII
duke richardson

You could, and hopefully do, write Volumes. Going into your IORR profile and clicking on Your Posts alone is enough for one right there. And that doesn't even scratch the surface. Re guitars, reading in different guitar forums online, it has been said that everyone used flatwounds in the 1950's. What kind of strings did your dad use in 1955? What does he use now?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1319
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home