Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT. Plant dashed off for beer and vodka after Led Zeppelin reunion
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:05

Led Zeppelin's 2007 reunion was "too heavy" for Robert Plant and he escaped a meeting with Oasis stars Liam and Noel Gallagher by dashing off to have a few quiet drinks by himself. Skip related content

The Kashmir singer admits he was a little overwhelmed by the one-off get together, held to pay tribute to music mogul Ahmet Ertegun, and felt he had to get far away from the O2 Arena in London after the show.

He tells Mojo magazine, "Well, what could you do afterwards...? Twenty minutes after we finished, the Gallagher brothers were leaning on the door of my dressing room and one of them said, 'You're the real f**king thing, you are.' I said, 'I've known that all down the line - but I think you need to go a little further round the corridor, next door on the left.' And I went.

"(I) ended up in the Marathon (pub in Camden), drank four bottles of Keo (lager) and half a bottle of vodka then went to bed. Because I had to get away from it. I'd done it. Had to go.

"(It was) too heavy. Beautiful - but talk about examining your own mortality... Crazy."

Re: OT. Plant dashed off for beer and vodka after Led Zeppelin reunion
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:13

Cryptic shit as always.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:14

I really don't get this guy.

He is OK with doing Zeppelin-stuff solo and with Page/Plant, but the real deal is "too heavy" for him that he has to go and nearly drown himself drinking?

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:44

Sounds like he was mainly trying to get away from the Gallagher Bros. to me. And who can blame him? If those guys tried to corner me into a conversation, I'd blast out of there and guzzle down some booze asap too.

I really wish that Plant had agreed to a Zep reunion tour. Now I can blame the Gallagher Bros. for that not happening. Another reason to hate them.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:56

Edith Grove

He is OK with doing Zeppelin-stuff solo and with Page/Plant, but the real deal is "too heavy" for him that he has to go and nearly drown himself drinking?
Yeah I know. Talking about taking yourself a little too seriously. They're a rock & roll band,nota religion and Plant certainly isn't a God. Even though he acts holier than thou sometimes.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:58

i don't really understand the premise of this story. lots of artists leave the venue right after the show. so robert plant went to the bar afterwards and got drunk. big deal. he IS a rock star, after all. is the press trying to imply that he was trying to kill himself? sounds like another example of the media trying to make something out of nothing.

Date: August 8, 2010 22:50

he could have got drunk from the fumes of the gallagher brothers breath

Date: August 8, 2010 22:55

bernardanderson
so robert plant went to the bar afterwards and got drunk.

Assuming this article is accurate, four pints and a half-bottle of vodka is more than just "getting drunk."

I hope he wasn't attempting a "Bonzo." sad smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 9, 2010 00:04

If I was in Robert Plant's shoes, I would have done the same thing, just gone to a quiet pub and a few pints (though maybe not that much). Remember, the expectations surrounding that gig were huge.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 9, 2010 01:25

> The Kashmir singer (...)

winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 9, 2010 01:57

Cut the crap and do a Zep (what's left) reunion. Jason B. or Zak Starkey on drums.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 9, 2010 03:06

If I remember right plant had a son andaybe a wife? Die during zep plus the death of jb. Probably opens alot of old wounds for him. He needs to talk to a counselor or something.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 9, 2010 04:19

nankerphlege
He needs to talk to a counselor or something.

How about this:

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: August 9, 2010 04:56

Sicilian-

Now that there is FUNNY!!! Thank you! You made my evening...

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 9, 2010 05:54

I think he had to leave immediately so he cannot get served a subpeona for the next song from the canon that has beem discovered to have actually written by somebody else other than Page/Plantdrinking smiley

Date: August 9, 2010 06:55

Hey. has anybody ever been to the Marathon pub in Camden?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 9, 2010 10:07

tomk
Hey. has anybody ever been to the Marathon pub in Camden?

Yeah - it used to be a regular haunt of mine - just down the road from the brilliant Steeles pub on Haverstock Hill, Belsize Park, north London. The Marathon gets lots of stars such as Paul Weller, Noel Gallgher dropping in from time to time to hear the excellent rockabilly guitarist Daniel Jean Renaud, who also plays with Chris Wilson and other ex-members of The Flamin' Groovies. The place is open till 3am at least and has a low lit dining room at the back with a stage. Well worth a visit.

Here he is.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: August 10, 2010 01:55

nankerphlege
If I remember right plant had a son andaybe a wife? Die during zep plus the death of jb. Probably opens alot of old wounds for him. He needs to talk to a counselor or something.

I remember his son Karac passed away while Zeppelin was on tour (think it was in '77) Don't remember hearing about Maureen (his wife then) dying during the 'zepp days' but I think they are divorced.

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Date: August 10, 2010 02:28

MissNBrian
I remember his son Karac passed away while Zeppelin was on tour (think it was in '77)

Yeah, that's right.

I remember being a sixteen year-old kid, so excited that I was going to see my favorite band (at the time), and hearing the news a few days before the concert.
Needless to say, that concert never happened.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 10, 2010 07:07

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-10 08:22 by BluzDude.

Date: August 10, 2010 07:22

Those last few years of Zeppelin were pretty tough on Plant; the auto accident and recovery (Plant, his wife and two kids were invloved), death of a son, then the death of Bonham. It's no wonder he has a hard time revisiting it.

OT: Has PLant ever talked about the loss of his son? Not that he has to, I'm just wondering if he's talked about it in interviews.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 10, 2010 07:22

BluzDude
If you recall, when Robert's son died, it postponed a tour (maybe some dates were cancelled).

When Robert was injured in an Auto accident, it cancelled a stadium tour. They were scheduled to play the Rose Bowl here in L.A. the Summer of '76.
Well Plant's son dying ended up with the Oakland shows being the last Zep shows ever in the states. Not to mention the fact that the last Oakland show ended up with it's fair share of drama....I was there. I remember it well.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 10, 2010 07:33

The above comments were made B4 I verified my research...My Bad!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-10 08:24 by BluzDude.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 10, 2010 08:27

Keefan
Sounds like he was mainly trying to get away from the Gallagher Bros. to me. And who can blame him? If those guys tried to corner me into a conversation, I'd blast out of there and guzzle down some booze asap too.

I really wish that Plant had agreed to a Zep reunion tour. Now I can blame the Gallagher Bros. for that not happening. Another reason to hate them.

Ha ha ha ha!

Date: August 10, 2010 08:45

BluzDude
Maybe I'm a bit mixed up, didn't the Zeppelin American tour end in July of 1977 or were there more dates scheduled?

They had about 8 other gigs scheduled after Oakland, New Orleans being the next stop before Plant's son died. Memphis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and Buffalo were the stops I remember, I'd have to check.

Date: August 10, 2010 12:55

tomk
Those last few years of Zeppelin were pretty tough on Plant; the auto accident and recovery (Plant, his wife and two kids were invloved), death of a son, then the death of Bonham. It's no wonder he has a hard time revisiting it.

Yet he's done Zeppelin material in his solo shows and with Page / Plant on numerous occasions.

Perhaps it was something about this one show or something else entirely that made him want to go and drink the night away.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 10, 2010 15:02

Edith Grove

probably dealing with a lot of emotions that got stired up when you go back to your past 30 years ago.heck some of that stuff for me is like a blackout from that far ago .my sister asked me something about that long ago and i was like blank .she said that i did it but for the life of me i was like drawing a blank.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 11, 2010 23:22

JUst a random wild guess here, but

Maybe Plant didn't want all the hype that the gig obviously attracted...and though he has done Zep stuff solo and with Page, he had never done it under that Led Zep banner, and the pressure for LED ZEP (not Page and Plant, or solo) to kick ass.

Maybe he had his own pressure inside to do it absolutely right..and vocal chords go earlier than fingers and hands...if they were going to have flaws, it would probbaly come from him trying to find his old range.

It might drive you to drink.

(BY the way: I'm not a Zep fan and never was. Liked some songs, but that's it. I like Plant with Alison Krauss more than I did earlier in his career)

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 11, 2010 23:47

I've followed Plant as a solo artist since 1988. I do like his first 2 albums as well. I adore the Raising Sand CD w/ Alison Krauss.

I respect his decision as an artist to move forward and not look back too much. So his newer stuff and tours don't sell out like the Zep days, but it doesn't matter to him. He's still an active artist with his integrity WAY more entact than so many other dinosaur oldies acts.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 12, 2010 05:20

buffalo7478
JUst a random wild guess here, but

Maybe Plant didn't want all the hype that the gig obviously attracted...and though he has done Zep stuff solo and with Page, he had never done it under that Led Zep banner, and the pressure for LED ZEP (not Page and Plant, or solo) to kick ass.

Maybe he had his own pressure inside to do it absolutely right..and vocal chords go earlier than fingers and hands...if they were going to have flaws, it would probbaly come from him trying to find his old range.

It might drive you to drink.

(BY the way: I'm not a Zep fan and never was. Liked some songs, but that's it. I like Plant with Alison Krauss more than I did earlier in his career)

I agree with this. The other three members seemed to be overjoyed with the whole experience, but not Plant, especially not afterwards. It seems something just turned him off. I think he's loves their history, what they did as a band, and liked doing the show itself, but I think a lot of what came along with it, especially the hype, he just wasn't into. And I think there was probably instant pressure to just drop everything and continue with a full reunion. A lot of people were likely saying to him, "What do you mean you might not want to, are you insane, it's Led Zeppelin!". Maybe he feels like it's that way to everyone else, but to him it's just a band he was in. It ran it's course, and it was nice to revisit, but that was then and this is now. I just don't think he's into it. He's not that person he was back then, and he's not into a nostalgia trip now.

Compared to the others, he's consistently had a very successful career on his own. The others haven't, at least comparatively. John Paul Jones has done a lot of production work, but not much that's been in the public eye. Jimmy Page had some success with The Firm, but his one solo record and Coverdale-Page were both a bit of a bust, and since the Page-Plant and Black Crowes stuff, hasn't done much. I think Robert may feel he's happy with what he's got, and just doesn't feel any need, or sincere kind of motivation, to do it.

Speaking of voice going before fingers and hands, didn't they have to tune down a half-step or so to accommodate Plant's voice being deeper and unable to hit the high notes like he used too? Maybe that's part of it too, he feels they, or maybe just he himself, can't do it justice.

Not to mention the Gallagher brothers, it's obvious they didn't help matters much. I get the impression when Plant looked up and saw them at his door, he felt like someone put a turd in his punchbowl of a night. Who wants to hear what those tossers have to say. And it's always the same bullshit too, regardless of what band they're talking about. They said the same damn thing about The Who.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home