Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie - for anyone in Ohio?
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 29, 2010 00:55

[artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com]

July 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
He’s Like a Rainbow: Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones to Have Art Show in Ohio
By DAVE ITZKOFF

SPS Lime Light Agency
Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones at work on his second-best-known artistic pursuit.
They may be only the paintings and other artworks created by a well-known rock ‘n’ roll guitarist, but the Butler Institute of American Art likes them — enough to give Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones an eight-week exhibition there that the museum says is the first American show of Mr. Wood’s art.

The institute, in Youngstown, Ohio, said it would present the exhibition, “Ronnie Wood: Paintings, Drawings and Prints,” from Sept. 21 through Nov. 21. It will feature about 60 works by Mr. Wood, who also played with the Jeff Beck Group and the Faces before joining the Stones.

In a telephone interview, Dr. Louis A. Zona, executive director of the Butler Institute, said the show was the culmination of more than four years spent trying to persuade Mr. Wood to exhibit his work.

“I first saw his work on display in –” Dr. Zona said, “I forget where it was, it’s been such a long time.” (You know what they say: if you can remember it, you weren’t really there.)

He added that what impressed him about Mr. Wood’s work, which tends to depict his rock ‘n’ roll colleagues, including Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts, as well as fanciful takes on Rolling Stones albums like “Beggars Banquet,” was not the celebrity of the man who created them, but the quality of the art itself.

“He has done a number of cartoons,” Dr. Zona said, “spoofs on English culture, and they look like they were done by Daumier, just wonderful things. He’s very, very talented.”

Dr. Zona said Mr. Wood was expected to be in attendance for the show’s opening at a gathering of museum patrons, and that, in this instance, no extraordinary requests appeared in his tour rider.

“We’ve talked to his people, as they say,” Dr. Zona said. “There are certain things that celebrities require — a nice place to stay, etc., etc. But nothing out of the ordinary. He certainly wants to meet the people who are coming to see his art.”

Might any of those people include Mr. Wood’s equally illustrious bandmates?

“Well,” Dr. Zona said, “one can only hope, right?”

Works by Mr. Wood that will be featured in the exhibition at the Butler Institute of American Art can be seen below.

SPS Lime Light Agency
“Beggars Banquet” by Ronnie Wood.

SPS Lime Light Agency
A portrait of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards by Ronnie Wood.

SPS Lime Light Agency
A study of a saber-tooth tiger by Ronnie Wood.

Re: Ronnie - for anyone in Ohio?
Posted by: oldstones ()
Date: July 29, 2010 03:57

Hey English John, Remember when u visted the butler.. after pittsburgh in 05 it taken that long to get this together... give me a call sometime... onehit... lol later

Posted by: mothra665 ()
Date: July 29, 2010 05:17

wow, thats cool!
thank you so much for the heads up!
y-town is sorta dead in culture, thank goodness cleveland/pittsburgh are 60 minutes away.
...anyway TY again, glad to see y-town has something of interest.
BTW it's my home town!

Date: July 29, 2010 05:20

BTW, i wasn't dissing y-town...kuudos to all involved...i can only hope people come out to support this event!

Date: July 29, 2010 20:44

So we look forward to your review, mothra66!

Here's a link to his show at the Butler Museum.

[www.butlerart.com]

Also it's on Ronnie's own art site, where there's a new self-portrait on view:

[gallery.ronniewood.com]

Date: July 29, 2010 23:03

"So we look forward to your review..."

i will do my best!
if anyone is going to make it to the area LMK, maybe we can get a drink.
i am off on the 21st and plan on "hanging" around to see if i can bump into the man, that is if he plans on REALLY making an appearance.
i contacted a friend that works for the local clear channel in hopes i can get a little more info on the event.
oh sh*t i just remembered, i met an aunt of my sister-in-law at a graduation party this summer that is part of the admin. staff at the butler.
need to investigate my options with what pull she may have.

damn i am so excited over this!

Date: July 30, 2010 01:57

It seems if you call the museum, you can get on the invitation list for the opening after museum members. So call - NOW!!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 30, 2010 02:30

Thanks Beast.....every so often I travel to Ohio to visit the in-laws.
RW in attendance Sept 21?

IORR............but I like it!

Date: July 30, 2010 22:19

i am calling now

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 30, 2010 22:36

The Butler is pretty nice museum. It should be a great reception.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 30, 2010 22:49

I live in Indianapolis so I'm not too far away really..... thinking of going

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: July 31, 2010 05:36

i went to indy last summer to see jane's addiction.
love your city, so easy to get around and still a couple ma/pa record stores around town.
...come on up!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 31, 2010 07:38

[www.independent.co.uk]?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 31, 2010 11:25

Thanks, paulywaul - there are four works on the preview there that I've never seen before, including two of Mick (one with maracas and another playing harp).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home