Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Carlos Santana and Scott Weiland have recorded a cover of CYHMK
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 10, 2010 16:18

Makes sense. I always thought CYHMK had been influenced by Santana to begin with.

[www.wcsx.com]

Re: Carlos Santana and Scott Weiland have recorded a cover of CYHMK
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 10, 2010 21:27

should be interesting , always felt instrumental section of the song had a slight santana influence

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 10, 2010 21:32

Gotta give Carlos Santana credit. He is very productive in the studio and frequently makes very good music. No grass is growing under his feet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-10 21:32 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 13, 2010 10:45

Congrats, Santana!
Long life and happiness to you both.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 13, 2010 11:31

Hearing Santana play the guitar often gives me an unpleasant feeling... as if somebody tries to run a 17" screw on a 18" bolt.No doubt I'm in the minority here,as usual.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 13, 2010 14:49

Weiland is god. That is all.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 13, 2010 17:31

Toru A
Congrats, Santana!
Long life and happiness to you both.

Cindy Blackman?

Date: July 13, 2010 17:35

I don't see the point. Except if Santana will deliver a better solo than Mick Taylor. However there won't be an apt rhythm to accompany it. Who is Weiland? Someone who you can get if Richards is not available.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 13, 2010 18:39

duke richardson

Cindy Blackman?

I saw her drum for Lenny K. years ago - she was awesome!!! Super funky chick.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 13, 2010 18:59

God help us.

There are some cover versions the world does not need.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 13, 2010 18:59

CindyC
duke richardson

Cindy Blackman?

I saw her drum for Lenny K. years ago - she was awesome!!! Super funky chick.
That's the future Mrs Santana.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2010 19:58

Scott Weiland on vocals? thumbs down

An instrumental version would have worked better imo. Honestly, Weiland's singing is as akin to the sound of a flushing toilet.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: July 13, 2010 20:14

Hairball, how dare you. Scott Weiland is awesome! STP, Velvet Revolver AND his solo albums have some great tracks. One of the best voices and rocks stars of my generation.

I for one, look forward to hearing this cover version. This one and Whole Lotta Love with Chris Cornell, (another legend of my generation) should be cool. Those other ones...Rob Thomas again??...gross.

Date: July 13, 2010 20:30

I agree about Chris Cornell/Whole Lotta Love lettingitbleed...I can already hear it in my head! Soundgarden was a great group back in the day!
But I can't wrap my head around Scott Weiland "singing" CYHMK...again, an instrumental Santana style jam would have been preferable.
Perhaps Carlos will release a karaoke version with Weiland's vocals erased, that would solve the problem.

Date: July 14, 2010 02:35

Hairball

An instrumental version would have worked better imo. Honestly, Weiland's singing is as akin to the sound of a flushing toilet.

What's that got to do with anything? Bowie's his idol, and he tries to pull it off. It's just not the same. But I like to watch him try.

Date: July 15, 2010 07:34

Brue
Hairball

What's that got to do with anything? Bowie's his idol, and he tries to pull it off. It's just not the same. But I like to watch him try.

What does Bowie being his idol have to do with anything?

Date: July 16, 2010 03:41

Hairball
Brue
Hairball

What does Bowie being his idol have to do with anything?

Just sayin

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 16, 2010 04:16

Isn't Santana covering Can't You Hear Me Knocking kinda like Bowie covering Morrissey's I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday? In each case, the performer is doing a cover version of someone's imitation of the performer. BTW, this is merely intended as an observation, not an insult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-16 04:18 by baxlap.

Date: July 16, 2010 04:31

baxlap
Isn't Santana covering Can't You Hear Me Knocking kinda like Bowie covering Morrissey's I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday? In each case, the performer is doing a cover version of someone's imitation of the performer. BTW, this is merely intended as an observation, not an insult.

Miles Davis once did a cover of David Crosby's "Guinnevere", which was itself based on a three-note motif from "Sketches of Spain". I guess it's very flattering to be imitated. It might even make you want to pay tribute to, or at least acknowledge, the person who's imitated you, to congratulate them on their good taste!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:36

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look that one up in the 70-something disc Miles brick.

Lots of 1960's Cali types borrowed from Sketches of Spain. Grace Slick got some of the musical ideas for White Rabbit from one of the boleros on that album. The Dead had their Spanish Jam, which was also derived from one of the tracks on Sketches. Also, Roger McGuinn got the main guitar figure for Eight Miles High from one of the songs on Coltrane's Giant Steps (Naima?).

Speaking of people borrowing brilliantly from their influences, try playing So What from Kind of Blue and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed from Allmans at Fillmore East back to back. The right DJ could do a killer mashup between the two!

Date: July 16, 2010 16:33

baxlap
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look that one up in the 70-something disc Miles brick.

It's on "Circle In The Round", a batch of tapes that were already about 10 years old when they were first released in 1979.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 16, 2010 17:13

Carlos Santana covering CYHMK is a bit obvious isn't it?
BORING! zzzzzzzzzzzz

He should try playing a great Stones song we don't expect!, turn it inside out, eXplode it, make us love a familiar song for entirely new reasons, make us look at something anew... take us by surprise... he could do that, he is an accomplished musician.... CYHMK has already been done Santana style!

Posted by: mfb ()
Date: July 30, 2010 04:38

yeh, saw Santana last night and they played CYHMK....didnt know it was in the rep, so a fun suprise......."the riff" is played by the rhythm player not Carlos. ..woulda preffered seeing the Stones play it of course, but then, theyre not happening, and if they ever did who knows...could end up like Sympathy on Shine a Light. One thing I'll give Carlos he works, and doesnt fret about saturating his market....just brings it. I like that a lot. Santana also covered Sunshine of Your Love. Dont much care for that tune, so hard to judge. A good party overall though, for sure.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 30, 2010 04:46

oh my god. dont even have to listen to it.
scott weiland is worse than suzan boyle...

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 07:36

yeah

and?

scott weiland is pretty much the epitome of crap

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home