Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Miss You
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 2, 2010 08:59

Listening to the extended version on 12 inch leads me to believe the Stones cut the rap section (Hey whats the matter man?.......) a little too short on the original 45, because for me the song's greatest attraction is that part. It just starts to get into a groove and then is cut short for the ooh oohs, which frankly go on a bit too much for my liking. I love the line about street cars etc. and wish the Stones would have included it on the original single release. Overall, i think the song could have been better arranged. Other than that i think Miss You is a great track, although when they perform it live i feel it's time for a snooze.

Re: Miss You
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 2, 2010 09:07

Love the extended version!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 2, 2010 09:12

The extended version (8 mins +) is the best version of the song. My first ever Stones single.

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: July 2, 2010 23:17

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Man,
I just love this song so much. I remember the whole album like it was
yesterday. But is was 1978, and yes Charlie does sound great. But they had
something to prove and that's why I feel it's a classic. It sounds so fresh in
2010. Can you believe it, 2010. I thank God I grew up in the 70's

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 2, 2010 23:32

the extended version should of been the album version

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 2, 2010 23:35

There is a long history of butchering songs when it comes to single releases and am/radio edits. When I was growing up, the rock station I listened to (WDIZ out of Orlando, FL, at one time a great station) always played the full album version of Wont' Get Fooled Again (and always left in the "who the f-uck are you" in Who Are You!). When I finally heard the edited version, which I think is the same as the single(?), I couldn't believe how much of a harsh cut it was.

Every time this is done, it seems like whoever decides what the edit will be never thinks about the flow of the song. No wonder so many artists over the years have hated these kinds of edits to their songs.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 2, 2010 23:42

worst edit i ever heard is in the censored version of star star

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 2, 2010 23:53

I don't know, kind of hard to quibble--isn't their best ever selling single?

I mean, it's fair enough to imagine a better arrangement. I guess I haven't actually listened to the track in many years, so at first I didn't see the point. But I may have a similar reaction the next time I actually put it on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-02 23:56 by cc.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 3, 2010 01:28

Ahhhhh Miss You....lots of folks hate it..even people close tome...i love the 78 studio and live vers....its heartbreak in stu 54

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 3, 2010 01:38

cc
I don't know, kind of hard to quibble--isn't their best ever selling single?

I mean, it's fair enough to imagine a better arrangement. I guess I haven't actually listened to the track in many years, so at first I didn't see the point. But I may have a similar reaction the next time I actually put it on.

Isn't Satisfaction their biggest worldwide, and in the US, Honky Tonk Women?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 3, 2010 18:56

The "extended" version is excellent, especially the mix. You can hear bleed through all over the place. It is a shame that some of the best lyrics were edited out.

I forget which is what but the single version in the UK, I believe, is what is on Jump Back - no saxophone. The US edit is on...Rewind and Forty Licks - it has sax. Both are hacked bad though edit wise.

Great song. However, it's the live version of this song that has sucked hard the past few years. They should have left it alone after Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle.

Someday I'm gonna make my own new edit of it from the 'extended' and replace the LP version with it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 3, 2010 20:18

great tune - great live in '78....but on a downward slide ever since....hmmm....could say that about the live act in general, i suppose....

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 3, 2010 20:41

Wasn't it this song they defaced with Justin Timberlake...? The song should have been retired from their setlist in shame after that.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 4, 2010 01:35

.....12 inches

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: July 4, 2010 01:45

One of the song that made me a Stones fan.I still remember hearing it at age 11 or 12 and being completely captivated by its groove and Jagger's singing.Somehow I understand why some folks look upon it with disdain since they relate it to the disco era but I think that the song is anything but an insipid disco tune.It's bloody brilliant and the only thing that it has in common with the disco music at the time is its heavy bass line laid out brilliantly by Wyman

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 4, 2010 03:32

Wasn't it this song they defaced with Justin Timberlake...? The song should have been retired from their setlist in shame after that.

- yeah, that was at 'Sarstock' in Toronto - people began firing bottles at Timberlake during the song, (around 4:40 mark) getting Keith all riled up and pointin fingers again

..well..gotta say I agree with the bottle throwers and not Keith on this one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-04 03:36 by stones77.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 4, 2010 04:18

stones_serb
One of the song that made me a Stones fan.I still remember hearing it at age 11 or 12 and being completely captivated by its groove and Jagger's singing.Somehow I understand why some folks look upon it with disdain since they relate it to the disco era but I think that the song is anything but an insipid disco tune.It's bloody brilliant and the only thing that it has in common with the disco music at the time is its heavy bass line laid out brilliantly by Wyman

by definition it is a disco song (4 on the floor beat), but nothing wrong with that - like any form of music, there's good and bad disco...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 5, 2010 16:32

I agree that the extended version is the best and should have been on the Some Girls album. I love Some Girls it still sounds as fresh today as it did in 1978!

Date: July 5, 2010 16:39

Did anyone notice or care back when the single was released that the US edit was different from the UK edit? I know that's been a long standing "tradition" of the Stones but to not have any saxophone in one version is a bit astounding to me.

Date: July 5, 2010 17:31

UK Edit/Jump Back/Forty Licks

US Single/LP version

Extended (ha ha, they all the same?)

Date: July 5, 2010 17:41

LP version 4:48
UK Single 3:35
US Single 4:48
Rewind 4:48
Jump Back 3:35
Forty Licks 3:35

Apparently the UMe reissue of Jump Back features the US version now?

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 5, 2010 21:14

Am I the only one here who likes the Flashpoint version?

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 5, 2010 21:35

Felt so nice I had to do it twice

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: July 6, 2010 03:16

Harlem Shuffler
Am I the only one here who likes the Flashpoint version?

No, it's very good in my mind.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: July 6, 2010 03:51

Not a fan of this one , really don'y like it when it's performed live .

I do however have 25 + versions on 12" colored vinyl /

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 23, 2010 17:31

I'm with Boston2006 - I do not like this song live

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 23, 2010 17:58

I remember the day I bought this album. My grandmother had taken me shopping for whatever I wanted, it was always records, usually 45's. But this time I was drawn to the cover of Some Girls after hearing Miss You on the radio. I took it home and played it over and over and over.... It's a miracle the needle didnt' wear out the vinyl!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 23, 2010 18:48

StonesTod
great tune - great live in '78....but on a downward slide ever since.

I agree, except I thought in 81 it sounded pretty good as well

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home