Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Neil Young Twisted road
Posted by: Miranda ()
Date: June 1, 2010 08:20

Hi every one!

I am a Stonesfan but also a Neil Young fan. Although I don't know what to think of his recent tour: Twisted Road. I know why it's called twisted because it is twisted, what are your thoughts about it?

Re: OT: Neil Young Twisted road
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 1, 2010 08:41

What about the Green Acres Tour ... Warrick Brown
told me there was more fans on stage than in the audience ....

ROCKMAN

thumbs upRe: OT: Neil Young Twisted road
Date: June 1, 2010 09:13

Wow that's twisted too!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 1, 2010 09:47

I saw the latest Neil Young tour last week in DC and wasn't all that impressed. He played 17 songs, almost evenly divided between chestnuts and unremarkable new material, over 90 minutes. He played entirely solo, but did a fair amount of the show on electric guitars, using both the Gretsch Falcon and Old Black. But with no band, he couldn't take many solos on things like Cortez the Killer and Down by the River.

My biggest gripe was the ticket prices, $193.50 for the top tickets and $133.50 for the next best. For that price, I expect more songs, especially more that I've actually heard before the show. What I saw wasn't worth half what he charged. Coming on the heels of the ridiculously overpriced Archives set, I felt gouged.

Many of Neil's most interesting tours have been based on newly written, unreleased songs. But the newly written stuff he's carting around this time didn't knock me out.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 1, 2010 12:38

I only found out he was touring last week. Really hope he makes it over the pond

Any boots from this solo jaunt yet ?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 1, 2010 16:56

Just been listening to a ton of clips on youtube. Sounds great as always

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:01

i went to the tour opener,and i was very impressed . great show ,great version of ohio, after the gold rush .i love neil .get out there and see and hear one of canada'a great wonders !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-01 21:44 by The Greek.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:15

although he's canadian.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:18

andy js
I only found out he was touring last week. Really hope he makes it over the pond

Any boots from this solo jaunt yet ?

Theres a few on dimeadozen etc. Tour only started last week.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:23

bernardanderson
although he's canadian.
my bad ! enter foot in the greek's mouth( shoe leather not tasting so good right now )

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:24

"There is a towowowowowown... in North Ontariooooooooo"

Better believe it!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:27

Hitchiker sounds OK..if you're a fan you gonna like it...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:36

bernardanderson
although he's canadian.

LOL!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 1, 2010 18:59

Yeah the reviews have been pretty good for this tour so far. But ticket prices are just ridiculous. Not that they were partuculary cheap for the last tour.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: June 1, 2010 19:01

Father Ted
bernardanderson
although he's canadian.

LOL!
why is that funny?

Date: June 2, 2010 07:55

I jus cannot get used to the long, too long electric version of Cortez. Sounds like someone's practising guitar playing on stage. I can't help it, I love Neil but in my opinion Hitchhiker alone was enough..this electric mess gets on my nerves..confused smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2010 09:47

Miranda
I jus cannot get used to the long, too long electric version of Cortez. Sounds like someone's practising guitar playing on stage. I can't help it, I love Neil but in my opinion Hitchhiker alone was enough..this electric mess gets on my nerves..confused smiley

Electric mess???confused smiley

Cortez has always been electric and has always been long...in a good way.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 2, 2010 15:23

As Gazza said there's a bunch of EXC tapes (= C.Cat quality) available on Dime.

Imho the new songs aren't that good & the 1992 "hidden masterpiece" Hitchhiker is overrated... Otoh Young plays a great great version of "Ohio"...

[www.sugarmtn.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-02 15:29 by dcba.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: June 2, 2010 17:56

Im going to see Neil Sat 6/5/10 at Bass hall in Austin...Im looking foward to it..I bought the Archives Box for $20.00 at a Pawn shop..A Steal!!!I havent seen Neil since the 80s...Hopeing it to be a Great show....cool smiley

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: July 14, 2010 03:50

Thought I'd bump this thread as I've just listened to one of the great quality bootlegs from Neil's current tour and think it's magnificent. Could do with a bit more variation in the setlist, but when the choice of songs is this good it's neither here nor there really.

New tunes are @#$%& brilliant, Hitchhiker pisses all over Like An Inca and the new version of Cortez The Killer is utterly remarkable. He could be set to release his best album since Sleeps With Angels, I think.

Posted by: robertcharles ()
Date: July 14, 2010 04:08

well Miranda, I.m from holland and a Stones and Neil fan,I remember a concert in Rotterdam (indoor Ahoy in the 8.ties) with the crazy horse and there was no support act.Didn.t matter cause the soundengineers checked it with a cd....Get you,re ya ya.s out.

The Neil fans and stones fans have something in c.....

Never forgot that night.
Robert

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 14, 2010 05:16

Any chance he will play T-Bone from Reactor?

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone
T-Bone

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone
No T-Bone

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone

Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone

Ain't got no T-Bone

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone

Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone

Date: July 14, 2010 05:16

baxlap
I saw the latest Neil Young tour last week in DC and wasn't all that impressed. He played 17 songs, almost evenly divided between chestnuts and unremarkable new material, over 90 minutes. He played entirely solo, but did a fair amount of the show on electric guitars, using both the Gretsch Falcon and Old Black. But with no band, he couldn't take many solos on things like Cortez the Killer and Down by the River.

My biggest gripe was the ticket prices, $193.50 for the top tickets and $133.50 for the next best. For that price, I expect more songs, especially more that I've actually heard before the show. What I saw wasn't worth half what he charged. Coming on the heels of the ridiculously overpriced Archives set, I felt gouged.

Many of Neil's most interesting tours have been based on newly written, unreleased songs. But the newly written stuff he's carting around this time didn't knock me out.

i agree about young's new stuff being weak and the archives set being too expensive and its also too repetitive

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 14, 2010 06:02

I saw him On Sunday at the Fox in Oakland. This was the 13th time for me. Nothing twisted about the performance. It was great! He was in fine voice and played well. An extra bonus was that Bert Jansch opened for him, one of my all time favorite guitarists and I didn't know he was opening as I deliberately avoided looking at the setlists and tour info. Neil lives in the Bay Area but rarely plays here except for the Bridge School Benefits. Although the show was short, for me at least it was worth the ticket price just to hear him play 'Tell Me Why' Bliss...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 14, 2010 06:18

ChrisM
I saw him On Sunday at the Fox in Oakland. This was the 13th time for me. Nothing twisted about the performance. It was great! He was in fine voice and played well. An extra bonus was that Bert Jansch opened for him, one of my all time favorite guitarists and I didn't know he was opening as I deliberately avoided looking at the setlists and tour info. Neil lives in the Bay Area but rarely plays here except for the Bridge School Benefits. Although the show was short, for me at least it was worth the ticket price just to hear him play 'Tell Me Why' Bliss...
13 times.wow,you are a big fan Chris. But thanks for the brief review. I'm heading up to Reno on saturday to see him. Only my 4th show. But great memories of the last time Neil played up there.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-14 06:40 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: July 14, 2010 06:28

Honestly, this solo electric thing is brilliant. He has some big bass effect on Old Black and uses a bunch of reverb - the guitar sounds incredible, really, really dark.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 14, 2010 07:12

sweetcharmedlife
13 times.wow,you are a big fan Chris. But thanks for the brief review. I'm heading up to Reno on saturday to see him. Only my 4th show. But great memories of the last time Neil played up there.[/quote]

Have fun Fred and let us know how the show is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-14 18:27 by ChrisM.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 14, 2010 08:42

andy js
Just been listening to a ton of clips on youtube. Sounds great as always

I love Neil's music too, and this song does sound great, but not $193.50 great.

Date: July 14, 2010 08:51

Ferret
Thought I'd bump this thread as I've just listened to one of the great quality bootlegs from Neil's current tour and think it's magnificent. Could do with a bit more variation in the setlist, but when the choice of songs is this good it's neither here nor there really.

New tunes are @#$%& brilliant, Hitchhiker pisses all over Like An Inca and the new version of Cortez The Killer is utterly remarkable. He could be set to release his best album since Sleeps With Angels, I think.

Hi Robertcharles, i'm from Holland too! well, the more I listen to the bootleg CD's of Twisted Road, the better it gets!! I was really picking on' down by the River" but now, after a few listens, it's just fantastic!!

I just had to get used to electric guitar playing without the band Crazy Horse...

Now only "walk with me' is,in my opinion, a weak song..but I'm sure soem of you Neil fans out there like it..

Love and War, Peaceful Valley, You never call, just new gems!!

Date: July 14, 2010 09:05

And to Ferret, indeed this could be a very good new album, maybe his best after, let's say, ragged glory or greendale..

Seems that when something terrible happens, like the death of L.A. Johnsson, Neil does create his best songs..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home