Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Beatin to Death In the VOODOO LOUNGE
Posted by: CupofLove ()
Date: July 9, 2010 05:53

So as a new listener of the Stones I took the advice that many of you had posted to my Introduction to the IORR. I decided to listen to Voodoo Lounge this week, I got through the first three songs and to the intro of the fourth song which was, "The Worst" and I had to many thoughts going through my head to continue.

Thought #1: "
Has anyone noticed that songs #2"You Got Me Rocking" and "#3 Sparks Will Fly" both have the same drum fill? That they are both back to back on with each other which doesn't make any sense to me and I feel that this is horrible track placement on the producer's end!!!

This thought lead to a whirl wind of questions and concerns I have regarding the Stones.

First and foremost, noticing the same drums fills(granted they are only secs. long) leads me to wonder if the Stones originality is lost in a recording studio do to time and money, meaning that they are able to spend a year in a studio and get just the right sounds and tweek and turn for the perfect take.

I feel that being in the youth of my Stones music...I have taken a likening to the LIVE versions of their songs vs. the Recorded version of the same songs so far as what I have heard.

So that's where I pose these questions are the Stones trapped and unable to think outside of the "RECORDING BOX" and add their own feelings and improve what they feel at that moment...verses being able to add their own sound on the stage in front of millions of fans? In the recording Studio are they beating their songs to death to get the right sounds instead of being on the stage letting it all hang out and jam the night away?

Granted yes I know the stage is rehearsed to some degree but you will still catch something in a song that you will never hear on any recording that you may have of the Stones being that it could be a Bootleg or store bought?

Also one last question...Do you feel the Stones sound better LIVE or RECORDED in studio? and WHY? & What SONGS?

"The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me"

Re: Beatin to Death In the VOODOO LOUNGE
Date: July 9, 2010 07:13

It's really hard to answer, when the live stuff is often overdubbed! Notable regard is 'Not Fade Away', from Stripped!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 9, 2010 08:00

It is due to time and money. Because Mick can't be bothered.

Posted by: 69boogie ()
Date: July 9, 2010 08:38

Your first mistake is in listening to Doodoo Lounge to begin with. In the future, stay away from everything AFTER Undercover and you won't have these problems.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 9, 2010 09:24

Heya Cupoflove,

Interesting questions, of course. But did the songs groove you?
Maybe that's the question to start with in the youth of your fanhood.

Re: Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 9, 2010 11:03

on Main Offender there are two numbers based on the same riff
and Keith positioned them one right after the other on purpose.

i wouldn't assume that the Rolling Stones somehow "didn't notice" those drum fills -
they are the Rolling Stones

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 9, 2010 12:11

"stay away from everything AFTER Undercover"

I don't agree; there are a FEW gems on each album past 1983. You can easily fill two d-r's with them and have a real good time.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 9, 2010 12:40

Dcba is right, there are great songs which were released after Undercover, but I have to agree that the Voodoo has its weak points. I love the Stones on record and live until 1999, Licks has great moments, but the playing on the ABB tour showed obvious signs of massive decline.

Date: July 9, 2010 17:07

Cup, Voodoo IS a good album - on its own. Compared to Steel Wheels and Dirty Work? Its a killer album. But go back any further and it starts to "try" to resemble some things. Go past it, to Bridges, and it's suddenly a very weak album somehow.

It certainly would have been a stronger album had they left about half of it off. I liked You Got Me Rocking when the album came out. And I enjoyed it live on the Voodoo tour and I like the No Security version. But since then it's gone the way of Angie/Beast Of Burden/Jumpin' Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Start Me Up - they just shouldn't bother with the song live - there are much better tunes to play live.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:47

i think the outtakes and alternate mixes on the voodoo brew, voodoo stew, and voodoo residue collections are much better than the official album

Date: July 9, 2010 20:52

You Got It Made - it's CRIMINAL that that did not make the record. The one tune with they keyboard and harmonica, "Hold On You", is exceptional, as is the descending thing Keith did that's very jazz oriented, "It's Funny", ironically.

Date: July 10, 2010 02:10

marcovandereijk
Heya Cupoflove,

Interesting questions, of course. But did the songs groove you?
Maybe that's the question to start with in the youth of your fanhood.

Actually I was groovin along just fine to the songs like I said til I got to the song, "The Worst"..Then I was a little hesitant to the CD so I stopped to ask the questions that arose...I am going to listen to the rest tomorrow on my way to work and see how I feel.....

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 10, 2010 10:39

skipstone

yes,its micks fault.the rest of the band slave away for hours on end.especially keith who lives for the music.he works tirelessly for days and weeks on the the most fantastic riffs and melodies but mick just wont let him unleash it on the public.
its probably because jagger is jealous of keiths amazing rock and rollness,he,s the riff master you know.if only mick would stop keeping the band down im sure theres another let it bleed that would come out.he keeps the guitars turned down onstage also ,just so you cant hear keiths great playing.jagger covers it up with horns and back-up singers.
hes also at fault for the high ticket prices when they tour,its jaggers business model.the rest of them dont like money and would play for free.if we could just get rid of jagger the stones would be great again.

Date: July 12, 2010 06:05

lem motlow
skipstone

yes,its micks fault.the rest of the band slave away for hours on end.especially keith who lives for the music.he works tirelessly for days and weeks on the the most fantastic riffs and melodies but mick just wont let him unleash it on the public.
its probably because jagger is jealous of keiths amazing rock and rollness,he,s the riff master you know.if only mick would stop keeping the band down im sure theres another let it bleed that would come out.he keeps the guitars turned down onstage also ,just so you cant hear keiths great playing.jagger covers it up with horns and back-up singers.
hes also at fault for the high ticket prices when they tour,its jaggers business model.the rest of them dont like money and would play for free.if we could just get rid of jagger the stones would be great again.

As a new fan, I have watched a few documentaries on the Stones..which btw I just watched the new EMS which was the longest of the 3 to choose, but I am not a Jagger an. I feel he is arrogant on and off the stage....What amazes me is that he wants great things for the Stones..but it must have his name on it as well. I am not saying VOODOO was a bad album just confused with why it was soooo weak, I feel that Charlie and Keith have so much talent and Jagger keeps it in a bottle like a soda to be shaken p and explode at the right time so the light can shine bright in JAGGERVILLE....Am I wrong?

"The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2010 06:29

69boogie
Your first mistake is in listening to Doodoo Lounge to begin with. In the future, stay away from everything AFTER Undercover and you won't have these problems.

Hah! Doodoo Lounge.

Also stay away from A Bigger Bung

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 12, 2010 06:41

lem motlow
if we could just get rid of jagger the stones would be great again.

Really? Whom do you suggest they get to replace him?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2010 06:48

uhbuhgullayew
lem motlow

How about Mick Hucknell?

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 13, 2010 10:56

uhbuhgullayew
lem motlow

I think Lem was joking and being sarcastic. Very sarcastic!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 14, 2010 09:08

Good post

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 14, 2010 15:02

69boogie

I completely disagree. Loads of great music on the newer albums as well. And Voodoo Lounge has lots of them! But, you have to learn a little more about the Stones to understand what they're doing....

Date: July 15, 2010 07:56

Agree w/ Ned. There are a lot of great songs after "Undercover"

Dirty Work (the track)
Sleep Tonight
One Hit
Jump On Top Of Me
Love Is Strong
The Storm
So Young
Thru and Thru
MOST of Bridges for me! - Great inventive riffs by Keith finally!
Under The Radar
R.J.
Let Me Down Slow
L.I.N.C.
T.P.I.E

I could add more

Date: July 15, 2010 08:40

So CupofLove you started this post.......what's the verdict on the rest of the album?

Date: July 15, 2010 09:19

How about a song rating? 1 -3 sucks, 4-6 decent, 8-10 pretty good.

Love Is Strong 7
You Got Me Rocking 5
Sparks Will Fly 4
The Worst 9
New Faces 2
Moon Is Up 8
Out Of Tears 10
I Go Wild 9
Brand New Car 8
Sweethearts Together 3
Suck On The Jugular 6
Blinded By Rainbows 3
Baby Break It Down 7
Thru And Thru 2
Mean Disposition 9

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-15 09:20 by skipstone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home