Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I know its only the Steel Wheels tour, But I like it
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 14, 2010 07:27

actually Urban Jungle in this case. I find myself watching and listening to this clip a lot lately. the BTB tour reached some interesting new territory, but I don't think you can write off SW for one simple reason: It was the last tour with Bill. This song is an example of the dimension of sound he added to the mix that you don't get on later tours. You hear the whole band really playing together on this. Half way thru it seems like Mick really starts feeling the music and gets into the zone, his movements are totally connected to the rhythm of the song. everyone in the band is in synch. This may be the big vegas tour, but its one tight band they have. I also like the intro that Chuck Berry tought keith How to do a couple of years before this during the filming of Hail Hail rock N roll when they were rehearsing Carol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-14 07:31 by ryanpow.

Re: I know its only the Steel Wheels tour, But I like it
Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 14, 2010 12:58

I truely agree. It is (maybe due to nostalgia, was my second tour after a loooooong 7 year hiatus in the bad bad 80's) a great tour. I recently bought At The Max on Blu Ray and really enjoyed it!

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 14, 2010 14:59

I liked it at the time. It was my first Stones concert (Dallas November 11, 1989). But in hindsight it is WAAY overproduced. The stage. The lights. The teleprompter! And for such a simple song based on a Chuck Berry riff (the live version anyway).

And Mick's hair. The horror. The horror.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 14, 2010 15:02

only Steel Wheels Tour? It was an amazing tour! well, all stones tours are amazing.smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2010 15:04

Imho the problem with this tour (89/90) is that basically once you've heard ONE show you've heard them all. The music sounds awfully processed and who among us still listens to "Flashpoint"?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-14 17:46 by dcba.

Date: July 14, 2010 15:10

It was the first tour after an 8 year hiatus they had to test their boundaries and play it safe, which they virtually did with one or two one-offs thrown into the set a few times but it was all straight forward! They refound confidence and blew everyone away with Voodoo Lounge album and tour where they started to vary in setlists, did rare one-offs etc. And Steel Wheels isn't the only tour that has the same setlist same story for almost all tours with some exceptions, like Knebworth but basically they always had a very static setlist! But I believe you propably mean more the static way of playing things. Back then i suspected them using tapes etc. as it was simply too clean and perfect!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2010 15:18

"And Steel Wheels isn't the only tour that has the same setlist same story for almost all tours with some exceptions"

You missed my point : in 75 or 82 EACH song from each show was a surprise : it could be awful or sublime but it was unique in lenght or tempo. Keith could add a lick here and there, Ronnie's solo could vary.
In 89/90 they played to machines : same bpm night after night, same this same that.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: July 14, 2010 16:34

dcba
who among still listens to "Flashpoint"?

I do

Date: July 14, 2010 18:24

dcba
"And Steel Wheels isn't the only tour that has the same setlist same story for almost all tours with some exceptions"

You missed my point : in 75 or 82 EACH song from each show was a surprise : it could be awful or sublime but it was unique in lenght or tempo. Keith could add a lick here and there, Ronnie's solo could vary.
In 89/90 they played to machines : same bpm night after night, same this same that.

That's what I meant by "But I believe you propably mean more the static way of playing things".

I propably didn't make my self clear enough since English is not my mother tongue but I think we mean the same! ;-)

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: July 14, 2010 19:22

Everything from the steel wheels/urban jungle tour gives me goosebumps.. just perfect!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 14, 2010 20:16

The only things I didn't like about the SW/UJ tour were the stage, the synths, Devil with fake percussions, some of the guitar sounds. A part from that, a great tour. Probably their most professional tour ever!

C

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 15, 2010 02:08

dcba

put another way: VEGAS

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 15, 2010 09:32

Funny...the guitar playing is pretty tight but the piano is as horrendous as Mick's hair cut.

Ahhhh - that's the end of IORR leading into JJF that they put on Flashpoint.

I play Start Me Up from Flashpoint. That's about it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:06

skipstone
Funny...the guitar playing is pretty tight but the piano is as horrendous as Mick's hair cut.

quote]

I don't like how the piano sounds either, not so much the playing but the fake sound of it and its way too loud.
As for Micks Hair style in 89-90, it gets bashed a lot but I don't think its fine. Its similar to how he looked in 78.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-15 10:07 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:52

Wrong: Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour was the FIRST Tour ever that they changed 2 or three songs in the shows. I remember very well Bsael'95 which is also the best Recording from that time.
The show was awesome as it rained and thundered before the show and when Keith hit the tunes for his songs the rain stopped completely.
That show was a show for the album to remember for a very long time. Never ever a Swiss Crowd went so wild during a concert.

Check songlists and you see that they did make slight changes. Furthermore the sound was good. So where you have been? Perhaps 2000 Lightyears from home?
It was also the first tour where the Stones IMO entered as a big band with a variety of musicians like Lisa Fisher etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home