Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Quetion About Stones Concerts
Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: July 8, 2010 03:30

When the band is on tour obviously they get paid for the actual show but do they also get percentages from all the vendors (food, t-shirts, programs etc)?

I don't recall where but the was a mention that aside from the show money Charlie also gets a percentage of all the merchandise.

Do they (the 4 of them) get an equal 25% share of all the merchandise?

Re: Quetion About Stones Concerts
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 8, 2010 03:58

They would certainly get a huge cut of all merchandise. Especially considering it has their brand name, its officially endorsed, for sale on their website and in some cases theyve even designed it (and yes, I'd imagine its a 25% cut)

Even as far back as 1981, the amount they were making on a tour in t-shirt sales was in the millions. The profit margins are absolutely huge.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 8, 2010 04:39

30-40-50 bucks or more for a t-shirt, you bet the profits are huge!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 8, 2010 05:15

Didn't Mick say when they do tour they don't even break even till they hit Europe?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 8, 2010 07:23

Most bands can make more money from t-shirt sales than ticket sales.
Like Edith Grove says, the profits found in tour merchandise can be huge.
Any merchandise sold at a gig will see money paid to the band (unless said merchandise is being sold outside the venue on a street corner, by some guy called Vinnie).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2010 08:43

Marhsall
Didn't Mick say when they do tour they don't even break even till they hit Europe?

I've heard the opposite, that they make their money in the US, and that Europe is breakeven at best.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: July 8, 2010 23:07

Thanks for the insight everyone.

Yeah, I figured they could live off the merchandise sales alone.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 00:35

I thought that since Michael Cohl took over in 89, the Stones were basically guaranteed a set minimum figure, regardless of how the tour went?

Date: July 9, 2010 02:45

treaclefingers
Marhsall

I've heard the opposite, that they make their money in the US, and that Europe is breakeven at best.

thats not what it means. It takes a while for a tour to break even simply because a lot of the overheads are paid in advance for the entire tour. So the tour doesnt go into the black until say, 30 or 40 shows or whatever. It just happens that it starts in the US.

A tour thats grossing $550 million for 150 shows isnt merely 'breaking even' anywhere.

Date: July 9, 2010 02:45

DGA35
I thought that since Michael Cohl took over in 89, the Stones were basically guaranteed a set minimum figure, regardless of how the tour went?

They are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home