Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: buffalo springfield
Date: July 5, 2010 20:33

maybe the most influential shortest lived band ever. a 2 year span and not only influenced a ton of bands but also established the careers of neil young and stephen stills and members of poco.

anyone think any live recordings will ever be released? i thought the boxset would see the release of some great live stuff but instead it had a lot of already released material and duplicated a lot of that twice on the boxset.

Re: OT: buffalo springfield
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: July 5, 2010 22:40

Not so sure if we'll ever hear some official live stuff, so here's something rare:

[bigozine2.com]

Whittier High School

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-05 22:43 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: July 5, 2010 22:42

And here's Monterey Pop:

[www.themidnightcafe.org]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 5, 2010 23:04

I have a boot of their last show in Long Beach, 1968. The quality is nothing to get excited over, but it is historic. Actually, Ritchie Furay claims the original band lasted about a year, maybe a little longer (March 1966 being the approx date). Around mid-1967 is when they were having problems with Bruce Palmer and Neil Young. Funny how times are different in the music business. They opened for the Stones probably less than 4 months after forming. Those three albums of the Springfield are truly magnificent, though.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 6, 2010 00:08

Rank Stranger
And here's Monterey Pop:

Thanks for this and the above link.

Never heard the Monterey set before,really enjoying it.It's not on the official set for some reason(Neil?)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 6, 2010 00:36

keefriffhard4life
maybe the most influential shortest lived band ever.

Or maybe Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 6, 2010 02:21

A bit off topic, but I have a bootleg of Neil Young and Bruce Palmer's band, previous to Buffalo Springfield: The Mynah Birds.

They were based in Toronto and signed to Motown, but never released an album doe to the lead singer (Rick James) getting arrested. (Yes THAT Rick James).

The boot contains tracks from their studio session with Motown, some instrumental, some with vocals.

Two things are cool about it:

1. Rick James is definitely influenced by Jagger
2. Neil has not developed his own style yet.

If anyone is interested, I can post it.

Date: July 6, 2010 02:24

tomk
I have a boot of their last show in Long Beach, 1968. The quality is nothing to get excited over, but it is historic. Actually, Ritchie Furay claims the original band lasted about a year, maybe a little longer (March 1966 being the approx date). Around mid-1967 is when they were having problems with Bruce Palmer and Neil Young. Funny how times are different in the music business. They opened for the Stones probably less than 4 months after forming. Those three albums of the Springfield are truly magnificent, though.

i like neil young's music but IMO he's an ass of a person. he tries to rewrite history to make him seem like the most important member of buffalo springfield and CSNY. yes he is now the most popular member of either of those bands and yes he is the most prolific (sp?) but in no way was he the most important member of either band at the height of their fame. i'd say stephen stills was the most important member of both. he wrote the biggest buffalo springfield hit and contributed more songs to the band. he played most of the music on the first CSN album and while he didn't write the big hits he did contribute the best material.

young loaded the springfield boxset with more of his demo's and left off the extended "bluebird" on purpose according to someone who is friends with young. the entire boxset was mishandled. the 3 studio albums fit on 1 and half cd's. that left 2 and a half cd's for outtakes, demo's and live stuff. better yet disc 1 should have been the first 2 albums, disc 2 should have been STAMPEDE and last time around and disc 3 and 4 should have been demo's and live stuff. not sure why that is so hard. instead neil young made most diehard springfield fans repurchase already released material (in most case twice on the boxset)

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 6, 2010 05:34

still ill
Rank Stranger
And here's Monterey Pop:

Never heard the Monterey set before,really enjoying it.It's not on the official set for some reason(Neil?)

Probably because it's not REALLY Buffalo Springfield. Neil wasn't there. David Crosby filled in for him.

Date: July 6, 2010 05:40

buffalo7478
A bit off topic, but I have a bootleg of Neil Young and Bruce Palmer's band, previous to Buffalo Springfield: The Mynah Birds.

They were based in Toronto and signed to Motown, but never released an album doe to the lead singer (Rick James) getting arrested. (Yes THAT Rick James).

The boot contains tracks from their studio session with Motown, some instrumental, some with vocals.

Two things are cool about it:

1. Rick James is definitely influenced by Jagger
2. Neil has not developed his own style yet.

If anyone is interested, I can post it.

Superfreaky! Wonder why none of these tracks make it onto Archives Volume 1.

Date: July 6, 2010 05:44

keefriffhard4life

i'd say stephen stills was the most important member of both. he wrote the biggest buffalo springfield hit and contributed more songs to the band. he played most of the music on the first CSN album and while he didn't write the big hits he did contribute the best material.

"If we were to do an album consisting entirely of Stephen's songs, Stephen would say that there weren't enough of his songs on it"

-Graham Nash

Date: July 6, 2010 05:51

tatters
keefriffhard4life

i'd say stephen stills was the most important member of both. he wrote the biggest buffalo springfield hit and contributed more songs to the band. he played most of the music on the first CSN album and while he didn't write the big hits he did contribute the best material.

"If we were to do an album consisting entirely of Stephen's songs, Stephen would say that there weren't enough of his songs on it"

-Graham Nash
and if they had done an album of just nash and crosby songs it would be horrid. deja vu was better than the first album because neil young's material kept the nash and crosby compositions to a minimum. stills did 3 tunes plus sang on woodstock so he still got the same amount of lead vocals as the first album. easily proves it was him creating the bad material. why would they take away any material by stills?

Date: July 8, 2010 06:47

damn the boxset is out of print it appears and mine got damaged while moving. can anyone help me in getting it cheap? like less than $55

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 8, 2010 07:04

tatters
still ill
Rank Stranger
And here's Monterey Pop:

Probably because it's not REALLY Buffalo Springfield. Neil wasn't there. David Crosby filled in for him.

Indeed Crosby was at Monterey with the Springfield, but Doug Hastings (of the Daily Flash and later Rhinoceros) was the guitarist who replaced Young at Monterey and a few other gigs. According to Hastings, he recorded Bluebird and R&R Woman with them but his parts were mixed out.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: July 8, 2010 08:02

The 'Satisfaction' riff in Mr Soul has always intrigued me.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 8, 2010 15:30

keefriffhard4life
damn the boxset is out of print it appears and mine got damaged while moving. can anyone help me in getting it cheap? like less than $55

Yes, I had always wanted to pick up this one myself, and kept waiting and waiting for the price to come down. Unfortunately, I waited too long it seems.

Date: July 8, 2010 16:24

vox12string
The 'Satisfaction' riff in Mr Soul has always intrigued me.

It almost sounds like a combination of the Satisfaction AND JJF riffs. Weird, since JJF hadn't yet been written when Mr Soul was recorded (Jan '67).

Date: July 8, 2010 17:00

VoodooLounge13
keefriffhard4life

Yes, I had always wanted to pick up this one myself, and kept waiting and waiting for the price to come down. Unfortunately, I waited too long it seems.

the price never came down and now it appears to be out of print. weirdest thing ever. you'd think it would have dropped at least $10 at some point

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home