Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Were their any STONES-concerts when at the same time an important World cup- match was on?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 24, 2010 20:43

Think, only wembley 1990

Or?

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: Were their any STONES-concerts when at the same time an important World cup- match was on?
Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:01

A look at Wikipedia shows 11/7/82 is one, that was the final in the 82 tournament, when the band were in Turin. Don't know if the match was on at the same time as the concert though.

Re: Were their any STONES-concerts when at the same time an important World cup- match was on?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:05

The 1982 final took place later that evening. Jagger correctly predicted the score at the show in Turin (3-1 to Italy). At the second Turin show the following day, the Stones were introduced onstage by the Italian defender Claudio Gentile.

The Stones' first Wembley show in 1982 took place at the same time that Northern Ireland beat the host nation Spain in Valencia. England had played Kuwait earlier on the day. West Germany v England a few days later took place when the Stones were playing in Frankfurt.

A concert scheduled for Glasgow in June 1998 was rearranged to a date in August (a few months in advance) because it would have clashed with Scotland's World Cup game against Norway. The August show ended up being postponed to June 1999 anyway, when the Stones scrapped the UK tour for tax reasons.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-24 22:10 by Gazza.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:15

Gazza

A concert scheduled for Glasgow in June 1998 was rearranged to a date in August (a few months in advance) because it would have clashed with Scotland's World Cup game against Norway. The August show ended up being postponed to June 1999 anyway, when the Stones scrapped the UK tour for tax reasons.

Was there also a venue scheduled in June, 1998 in Glasgow in addition to the show scheduled in Edinburgh? The rescheduled show on June 4, 1999 was at Murrayfield in Edinburgh and Glasgow did not get a show in June, 1999.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-24 22:32 by uhbuhgullayew.

Date: June 24, 2010 22:36

Yeah, youre right - it was Edinburgh (Murrayfield). I should have realised that as I had tickets!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:52

1982, Stones Concert in Cologne, at the same time Germany-England 0 : 0, Germany in the next round, of course, I asked for the score the security again and again leaving the interior room of the stadium.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 25, 2010 02:17

I think it was the England / Germany match at the 1st Wembley 1990 gig.

sc uk

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: June 25, 2010 02:47

who cares !

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 26, 2010 13:14

4/4/90, crowd cheering loudly half way through Almost Hear You Sigh. People in the audience with hand held TVs and radios. Afterwards touts were selling tickets for the Friday and Saturday shows at half price because business had been so bad for them.

Date: June 26, 2010 17:52

RobertJohnson
1982, Stones Concert in Cologne, at the same time Germany-England 0 : 0, Germany in the next round, of course, I asked for the score the security again and again leaving the interior room of the stadium.

England played SPAIN on 5th July - the day of the 2nd Stones Cologne show.

As I mentioned above, the West German - England game took place when the Stones were playing in Frankfurt on 29 June (the 3 shows there were the only arena sized shows that tour)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-26 17:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 26, 2010 17:55

amsterdam arena

also another show in amsterdam was on while holland playedin France

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 27, 2010 05:13

Sorry , but there aren't any important World Cup Matches .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1337
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home