Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: thinking of buying a Gretsch 6120
Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 23, 2010 13:36

I haven't played guitar for years but would like to start again.
Thinking of buying a Gretsch 6120, Eddie Cochran style.

I don't wanna pay big bucks for a vintage one, I'm happy to buy a new factory job... Are there any guitar players who recommend this guitar, or warn against it?

Thanks for any advice

Re: OT: thinking of buying a Gretsch 6120
Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 23, 2010 14:17

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 23, 2010 16:20

Mathjis will give you a better opinion than me but remember in the 50's/60's Gretsch were paid "per instrument", that is the more they made per the bigger the wages.
Not exactly the best way to ensure quality.

A modern instrument might be better?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 23, 2010 16:41

As with any guitar- ignore cosmetics of guitar and assess the sound and play ability. And play as many of the guitars and
compare the sound of each. Dint forget that getting a great amp is
crucial...if not more so than the
guitar to getting your tone. The only concern I would have is
some people claim the bigsby on a guitar will make it not stay in tune for long. But I am by no means a bigsby expert.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: June 23, 2010 16:41

Articulate, responsive, good for clean - to- slightly overdriven sounds. You could listen to Keith playing 'Gimme Shelter' intro 1997 and later. It's close to that sound.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 23, 2010 21:23

It's the guitar Pete Townshend used on Who's Next and Quadrophenia.
Click on this link for Pete and the Gretsch 6120.

[www.thewho.net]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 23, 2010 23:48

My dad has one of these from 1967, except its a double cutaway. Its A Chet Atkins Nashville model with the same orange coloring and Bixby Vibrato bar. According to this article: [gretschpages.com] his guitar would be one of the last to still have the Gretsch features. Oh yes, and it sounds great!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 23, 2010 23:58

I had a Gretsch 6119, a close cousin to the 6120 and loved it. If your thinking of a Gretsch, you might consider the 5120. Very similar to the 6120 but for much less brass.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 06:40

Hi Bolexman

I have a 6120. I was torn between the Eddie Cochran model as in your picture and the DSV (which I'm now the proud owner of). For me the DSV just outclassed the DSW looks-wise (personal taste of course) and it just felt better to me in the shop. (I played the 2 against eachother for a good hour or so). And also the DSV is the model that George Harrison played on a Carl Perkins TV special back in the '80s. It was my dream to have one just like it for years.

That's just the cosmetics though. But the sound....Oh yes, the sound! For me it's like heaven every time I plug it in. Through a Fender valve amp, with a hint of compression and delay - unbeatable.

My other guitar is a Telecaster - and the Gretsch takes some getting used to. It's a bit like a wild beast that has to be tamed.

The pickups on the DSV are fantastic (especially the bridge). Of course on the Eddie model you get the P90 on the neck which does sound great. Have to admit that I might change the bridge pick up at some point to get some more clarity in the sound. (Seymour Duncan do replacements which are allegedly better than the stock pickups).

The only other significant difference between the two is the bridge. I have the rocking bar bridge on mine which I think works a little more smoothly with the bigsby arm. (I had the bridge on mine secured to the body - they come as floating bridges, but I just found that too fiddly with string changes and keeping consistent intonation).

I'd say the only other thing to consider is if you really want the dynasonic (single coil) pick ups (or Dyna & P90 on the DSW) or the Filtertron (humbuckers) that come with the 1959 and onwards models. If you want that classic biting twang sound - then single coils are the way to go. Pete Townsend uses the '59 model which has humbuckers.

Either way Boxelman - I would heartily recommend going Gretsch. You won't regret it!

Excuse my ramblings - hope it was some help...

And by the way - mine isn't a vintage. It's the 're-issue' or whatever they call it. Made in Japan but don;t let that put you off. I've spoken to people who've played and own original models and it seems like generally the new models are every bit as good if not better. Of course age can certainly enhance an instruments quality, so one just has to be patient I guess!

I paid £1,600 for mine. (Still paying the bugger off but never regret it!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-24 06:44 by Roll73.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 24, 2010 15:46

Get this one!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:06

You could always do this to it if it doesn't work out? Check PT at the end

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:45

Whoops.

This is the one I meant:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home