Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Overpriced concert tickets? Give me Glastonbury any day
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 22, 2010 12:52

Re: OT: Overpriced concert tickets? Give me Glastonbury any day
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 22, 2010 16:28

Festivals are definitely the best way to see plenty of good bands for a reasonable price.

Just got back from Donnington this year, where the line-up consisted of so many bands i wanted to see, I literall couldn't see them all. although the ticket was 200 quid, you can get there on the Wednesday and leave on the monday, thats nearly a full week of rocking for nearlythe price of one top price Stones gig! can't be bad can it, like the above article mentions. 100 knicker to go see Aerosmith in London, whereas they played Donnington on the final night and I already had felt I had more than my money's worth, including AC/Dc on the first night where they brought their own stage and played a far better gig than Wembley last summer.

Next up high voltage festival, Sonisphere, Bloodstock. Not to metion Hard Rock Hell at Crimbo. it's good.

Gotta draw the line somewhere though, and If I went to glastonbury I really don't think I'd get value for money, 'cus the band line-up is so crappy, last time I went there the highlight was robert Plant playing the acoustic stage. although it's a fantastic music festival, not much on offer for a full rocker.

Ah well, it's a big enough world with something for everyone.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 22, 2010 17:12

Nice tin top you got there monkeytonk man, always good to see a nice bay window VW! Is that your festival-mobile??
I have a '72 bay myself with a Devon Moonraker conversion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-22 17:13 by vudicus.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 22, 2010 20:59

Isle of Wight: £162 bought me

I Blame Coco
Doves
Florence and the Machine
The Strokes
Blondie
Biffy Clyro
Vampire Weekend
Crowded House
The Bluebyrds
Holly Kirby
Dr. Jones and the Blunt Instruments
The Courteeners
Pink
Paul McCartney
Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel
The Alarm
Saint Jude
The Small Fakers and the Bog Rolling Stones
- and the ukelele band from Medina High School, on whose playing fields the festival takes place.

That's just the ones I saw, ranging over three days from the internationally legendary to the local and unknown (but in most cases very good).

I could have added Jay-Z, Editors, Spandau Ballet, Suzi Quatro.... if I had gone without food and mastered the art of being in three places at once. I'm very grateful to the Stones for introducing me to the festival experience - I've now done this every year since 2007, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 22, 2010 21:05

The only problem with Glastonbury is the people who attend Glastonbury

Middle class who think they're being wacky and cool for the weekend wearing jester hats and by putting beads in their hair

All whilst listening to some of the most dull middle of the road bands imaginable

And I guarantee they'll all tell you one thing .... "its not like other festivals man, its all about the vibe ...."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 22, 2010 21:39

Glastonbury - where you pay more for your designer wellies than you do for your ticket (and you usually have to wear them all weekend, too!)

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 22, 2010 22:33

vudicus
Nice tin top you got there monkeytonk man, always good to see a nice bay window VW! Is that your festival-mobile??
I have a '72 bay myself with a Devon Moonraker conversion.

Van's name is Vincent, and yeah, it is my gig mobile. Been to a few festivals in that badboy, including this Donnington just gone.

Also drove it round Europe on the last Stones tour, one of the greatest experiences ever!>grinning smiley< met some great people and had some great times. That picture was taken in Germany at the Magic Circle Festival, where Alice Cooper, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Manowar and loads others were at.

Good times, always.

Next up: High Voltge Festival: ZZ Top, Heaven and Hell, ELP, Wishbone Ash, foreigner, Gary Moore, UFO, Quireboys, Marillion, Saxon, Uriah Heep, Magnum and more.

It's only rock n roll, but I love it!!

Keep on Rockin, Keep on Rollin'

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 23, 2010 10:22

Vincent looks great and you certainly have the right idea about how to see great music all over europe.Would love to do it myself at some time but not got round to it.Keep on Rockin and having a good time.Have a great time at High Voltage. thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home