Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
O.T :National nicknames
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 18, 2010 15:47

On the Word Cup 's thread ,someone called the French "frogs"
Since there are on this board many different nationalities ,it is hard to know how a national nickname sounds to the person who is involved.

Am I correct by saying that "frog" or 'froogie" might be considered more offensive than Frenchie ?Might this be entirely incorrect or even politically incorrect ?

I recall that Jagger ,in the Old Grey Whistle in 1977 ,called Freddy Hausser -the film director of "Les Stones aux Abattoirs " - Freddy the frog .
My question is : Can "froggies" be a term of endearment or slang ?

Because I would never call American "Yanks" (especially that a country that had an history "civil war" might not take it kindly and may be some Southerners might not like it )or Aussies "Oz" or English "Rosbeef "

Or you might be able to say it to a very a close friend, but in other circumstances it could get you a bloody nose I guess .

I know "Frog" for the French comes from the stereotype that French people eat frogs legs-I HATE IT , a "food" that the English find disgusting. It started around the Napoleonic era and 'frogs' and 'froggies' were meant as insults - implying that the French were silly people who did not know how to act "civilised "food.

What about the other "nicknames " ?

I would be glad if some of you could answer my question,no offense meant,I was just wondering .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: O.T :National nicknames
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 18, 2010 16:24

Frogs ?? That's the first I've of that!

I think most people can tell when they're being called a nickname that is used in affection.
I wouldn't mind someone calling me a "Yank" if we were having a pint & sharing a few laughs.

Down here in south Louisiana, some people refer to themselves as a "Coon Ass."
To someone not familiar with that, I can see how it would sound derogatory.
A good definition for "Coon Ass" would be a Cajun version of Redneck.

For the record, I'm not a Cajun or a Redneck. winking smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 18, 2010 16:36

Jock's - Scottish
Taffy's - Welsh
Mick's/Paddy's - Irish

and yes, they are deemed offensive.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 18, 2010 16:39

When I went to Toronto I was warned, repeatedly, not to call any French Canadians 'frogs' because the French take offense to that. I've never figured out why. Not sure how being called an amphibian can be insulting. But I paid heed.

But nowadays it's possible to find something, like this:

'The French are said to laugh like frogs. When they laugh, their adam's apples bulge out of their necks like frogs. Also perhaps from the French delicacy of frog-legs. Another possible derivation is the Fleur-de-Lys displayed on the French king's banner in the Middle Ages, which, to the English enemy, looked like squatting frogs. UK origins.'

Here is the one about Coonass:

'The origin of the term is said to have come from the French word "conasse". During the Second World War, many Cajun men served in the armed forces. When in France, many of the French heard the Cajuns speaking in a French that was both very old and in a French that had some very odd words. The Frenchmen called the Cajuns "conasse" which translates to a very low-grade prostitute. I would think this comes from the fact that, although they spoke a form of French, the Cajuns weren't real Frenchmen. Another theory has it originating in South Louisiana, derived from the belief that Cajuns frequently ate raccoons.'

[www.rsdb.org]

The irony of the French saying the Cajuns weren't real Frenchmen when they came from France to begin with, there was just a slight side step in being in Canada's Acadia (Acadie in French) for a while.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 18, 2010 16:44

As it was me who used the word 'Frogs' i should also point out that in the same sentence that i refered to my own country as 'Le Roast Beef'

Because thats what we call each other

Don't read something into it that wasnt there

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 18, 2010 17:22

Adrian-L
Jock's - Scottish
Taffy's - Welsh
Mick's/Paddy's - Irish

and yes, they are deemed offensive.

The Jocks, Taffys, and Paddys (or Taffies and Paddies), might be more offended by your spelling than your use of these nicknames.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-18 17:49 by 71Tele.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 18, 2010 17:40

I've never heard of the nickname Frog for a Frenchman. But why feeling offended by whatever nickname? They call us Cheeseheads, we use that nickname ourselves as well: Hey you, Kaaskop. Kaaskop sounds better than Cheesehead: alliteration. Call me kaaskop instead of kleermaker if you like. No problem.

Btw: the nickname Yankee is a contraction of the well known Dutch first names Jan and Kees. So it's a nickname to be proud of: a title of honour.

Date: June 18, 2010 17:45

kleermaker
I've never heard of the nickname Frog for a Frenchman. But why feeling offended by whatever nickname? They call us Cheeseheads, we use that nickname ourselves as well: Hey you, Kaaskop. Kaaskop sounds better than Cheesehead: alliteration. Call me kaaskop instead of kleermaker if you like. No problem.

Btw: the nickname Yankee is a contraction of the well known Dutch first names Jan and Kees. So it's a nickname to be proud of: a title of honour.

I thought Yankee came from a corruption of Jonquil (meaning yellow)...We Yanks call people from the state of Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" because of their large consumption of dairy products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-18 17:50 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 18, 2010 17:50

71Tele
We Yanks call people from the state of Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" because of their large consumption of dairy products.

Or you could just be a Packers fan.

Date: June 18, 2010 17:51

Edith Grove
71Tele
We Yanks call people from the state of Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" because of their large consumption of dairy products.

Or you could just be a Packers fan.

True. Some of my best friends are Cheeseheads.

Date: June 18, 2010 18:07

Edith Grove
Frogs ?? That's the first I've of that!

Listen to Jagger in Bob Harris' interview :

3:23

skipstone

Here is the one about Coonass:

'The origin of the term is said to have come from the French word "conasse". During the Second World War, many Cajun men served in the armed forces. When in France, many of the French heard the Cajuns speaking in a French that was both very old and in a French that had some very odd words. The Frenchmen called the Cajuns "conasse" which translates to a very low-grade prostitute..

At university,I've learnt a slightly explanation :

Cajuns were referred to as "CoonAsses", even by Cajuns themselves sometimes .
I'v never been to Louisiana (not yet ) but I am sure I saw pictures of stickers on pickup trucks or a bumpers in south Louisiana with slogans such as" Coonass and Proud" .

The Acadians were labeled "connasse", a French slang word (the feminine word for " connard "
The word has been defined as a stupid man or woman.In English you would say "bastard" or "d***" or @#$%& .
The French now use the word for the meaning of "a grossly stupid person".

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 18, 2010 18:07

This thread is destined for trouble.

Made me think of this:

Date: June 18, 2010 18:09

andy js
As it was me who used the word 'Frogs' i should also point out that in the same sentence that i refered to my own country as 'Le Roast Beef'

Because thats what we call each other

Don't read something into it that wasnt there

It's OK andy .As I wrote above ,no offense meant ,no offense taken.
I personnally don't call the English "Rostbeef " but I know some French people do .
I suppose acceptability varies according to the circumstances, depending on who says it and with what intention it was said!smiling smiley

Date: June 18, 2010 18:27

71Tele
kleermaker

I thought Yankee came from a corruption of Jonquil (meaning yellow)...We Yanks call people from the state of Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" because of their large consumption of dairy products.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Many people underestimate the role of the Dutch errr... Kaaskoppen in the early history of the US.

Date: June 18, 2010 18:38

loog droog

I hope not,loog droog.
I wrote on my 1st post "No offense meant ".
For me ,it was clear enough .
Do you undervalue us ?winking smiley

Google Barry Ancellet -professor of French and Cajun Culture/History at University of Louisiana, Lafayette -and see what he has to say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-19 23:07 by SwayStones.

Date: June 18, 2010 19:44

SwayStones
loog droog

Btw,to my French ears ,I hear NO difference from using "CoonAss" than using Nigger, Polak, etc.
Because it sounds offensive .Because the word in French IS offensive .

Google Barry Ancellet -professor of French and Cajun Culture/History at University of Louisiana, Lafayette -and see what he has to say.

To my Dutch ears there's an essential difference between using the 'nicknames' CoonAss and Nigger/Polak. Because the latter is a matter of racism and refers to slavery, apartheid, discrimination and the holocaust. That's beyond offending. Personally no one can offend me (for example by calling me DutchAss), because I don't care about someone who tries to offend me. But when racism and antisemitism are involved we're dealing with a totally different issue.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 18, 2010 20:06

Our French nickname dates from the days of the English milord on his Grand Tour, eating "le rosbif" at every inn - and the English retaliated by calling the French after something they ate that the English found disgusting - "frogs".

Think yourselves lucky - you might have been "snails"!

Date: June 18, 2010 20:08

kleermaker
71Tele
kleermaker

[en.wikipedia.org]

Many people underestimate the role of the Dutch errr... Kaaskoppen in the early history of the US.

yes, I was born in "New Amsterdam". Ever hear the Elvis Costello song of that name (which was recorded in Rotterdam, I believe)?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 18, 2010 20:15

down south here, we're rednecks and proud of it - we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 18, 2010 21:26

I've never understood why the New York Yankees are...Yankees when one might think the Boston Red Sox, basically ground zero for what a yankee is, should be.

Date: June 18, 2010 23:05

SwayStones

Listen to Jagger in Bob Harris' interview :

Interesting video: Jagger keeping his sunglasses on for a while. How rude can you be? But more interesting: look what happens between Jagger and Wood at 3:37, when Jagger bitches Wood off. Keep on looking at Wood's face: here we see a schoolboy, just corrected by the headmaster. It says all about Wood's status in the band, already in 1977. Charlie is playing the 'sideman' like we know him.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 18, 2010 23:16

I've never really heard that many people refer to Americans as Yanks, although I know it was used at some point. I think the term "Fat Americans" has replaced that.

I'm from Massachusetts - they call us Mass-holes. Neither bothers me, I tend to find stereotypes funny for the most part. Most people you meet, even if technically they could fall into one of those stereotypes, usually do not possess the bad qualities associated with them.

Date: June 18, 2010 23:17

CindyC
I'm from Massachusetts - they call us Mass-holes.

catholic?

Date: June 18, 2010 23:18

StonesTod
CindyC

catholic?

Used to be!

Date: June 18, 2010 23:21

CindyC
StonesTod
CindyC

catholic?

Used to be!

once, then always, masshole....

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 19, 2010 00:48

USA nickname is Chinamerica. Think about it.

Date: June 19, 2010 00:49

I don't get it??? Chinese people aren't even fat, it makes no sense.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2010 00:55

Aussie's don't care what ya call 'em....Heck even the states call each other names

Crow-Eaters....Vickies...Banana Benders...Sand-Gropers...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2010 00:59

Rockman
Aussie's don't care what ya call 'em....Heck even the states call each other names

Crow-Eaters....Vickies...Banana Benders...Sand-Gropers...

That's the spirit!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 19, 2010 01:05

Don't you call the Germans Krauts? We can call them Piefke in Austria. They call us Ösis or Schluchtenscheißer (valley shitters). The Italians are "Katzlmacher" (originally lier).

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home