Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT-Left handed Guitarist
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 5, 2010 00:02

Ive always enjoyed watching a good left handed Guitarist maybe thats because im left handed myself.And theres been alot of great left handed Guitarist over the years.you get told by others ya make things look awkward when ya left handed.But IORR Guitarist out there what are your thoughts on playing alongside someone whose left handed.

Re: OT-Left handed Guitarist
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 5, 2010 00:05

just be careful of a deceptive pick-off move

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 5, 2010 00:16

Would have liked to play along Jimi Hendrix. Bet he coulda covered my back well.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 5, 2010 00:20

Left handed Guitarists are in the minority,but it doesn't really matter ,as long are the strings not upside down..winking smiley

Date: May 5, 2010 00:31

doubledoor..Doyle Bramhall.ll who does Guitar and Vocals for Roger Waters is good to watch.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 5, 2010 00:32

Mark Knopfler is a lefty who plays right handed. Does that count?

Date: May 5, 2010 00:48

ChrisM
Mark Knopfler is a lefty who plays right handed. Does that count?

didn't know that!

others that come to mind off the top of my head:

albert king
coco montoya
eric gales
left-hand frank

Date: May 5, 2010 01:15

StoneTod..Mark Knopfler maybe ambidextrous.I know in the 1950s + 60s left handed kids were told at school to write with their right hand and in some cases they were punished if they didnt.That maybe why some left handers use their right because theyve got so used it.

Date: May 5, 2010 01:21

colonial
StoneTod..Mark Knopfler maybe ambidextrous.I know in the 1950s + 60s left handed kids were told at school to write with their right hand and in some cases they were punished if they didnt.That maybe why some left handers use their right because theyve got so used it.

it's not right

Date: May 5, 2010 01:25

StoneTod..Whats not right

Date: May 5, 2010 01:28

colonial
StoneTod..Whats not right

that which is either left or wrong or both

Date: May 5, 2010 01:37

StonesTod..I dont know what ya talking about?

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:57

He's winding you up.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:59

Anyhow, here's another lefty who learned how to kick ass as a righty --

Date: May 5, 2010 02:31

Milan..Cheers mate

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 5, 2010 04:22

I don't know the significance of all this, but anyway,

I write and hold a fork with my left hand.
I throw a ball with my right hand.
I hold as tennis racket with my left hand.
I play guitar and bass right handed.
I am the only person in my Mother's or Father's family that does anything left handed

I just recently found out that a musician friend of mine I've know since 1973, who plays bass and guitar left handed, does everything else right handed.
As a teenager he forced himself to play bass left handed because he wanted to be like Paul McCartney.

Date: May 5, 2010 04:49

BluzDude..You can have people that do EVERYTHING with their left hand.And yet others likes of ya self can use both hands which is quite common..and others can get into a right muddle and be all over the place they dont know which hand to use.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 5, 2010 06:50

I'm a lefty who had to learn cello in school right-handed because otherwise I'd cross my bow with my neighbors in orchestra. When it came time to get an electric guitar as a teen, even though my left hand was used to fretting the strings, I was going to get a left handed guitar. But even for the cheap ones, it cost alot extra to buy one and I didn't want to 'flip' a regular one to play lefty because the output jack and pickguard were too weird to play. So I still play right handed.

Hard to say if it's more advantageous to use your 'stronger/coordinated' hand to fret the notes/chords or to pick the strings.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: May 5, 2010 12:23

The other guitarist in the band in which I play is lefty. We've never had a crossed swords episode, where our necks crashed into one another. As long as he stands at stage right, everything's fine.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 5, 2010 12:28

Which hand is most important for playing?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 5, 2010 13:01

Joe Perry and Nils Lofgren are both left handed but play right handed.

Date: May 5, 2010 13:15

The GR..I dont know..its just something about left handed people with a bit of practice they can use their right hand just as good as their left.Thats what ive found anyway.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 5, 2010 13:41

I was gutted being left-handed and it made it that much harder to learn as there was never a spare left-strung guitar lying around when it came to jam with the other guys in the college common room. But having two of the best ever players being left hookers was great inspiration - Jimi Hendrix and Paul McCartney, bass.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 5, 2010 13:47

I'm left-handed, but play right-handed.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: May 5, 2010 14:11

I'm left-handed and play left-handed.

I play racket sports left-handed
I play cricket and golf right-handed
I throw a ball with my left hand
I kick a football stronger with my right foot.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: May 5, 2010 14:17

I'm right-handed and play my guitar left-handed. But I hold the tennis racket with my right hand.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 5, 2010 14:53

strettonbull
I'm left-handed and play left-handed.

I play racket sports left-handed
I play cricket and golf right-handed
I throw a ball with my left hand
I kick a football stronger with my right foot.

i'm like you but don't play cricket or golf!!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 5, 2010 17:26

I'm a lefty and do most things left-handed, but I will hold a racket preferrably in my right hand, but if the ball/birdie goes to my left side I will switch the racket to my left hand to hit it back with the left hand. I also shoot a gun with my right hand, and I cut with scissors using my right hand. I am also more dominant with my right foot for kicking. I can write fairly well with my right hand. I will eat left-handed unless I need to use a knife, which I will use in my left hand and then have the fork in my right.

It's funny to hear the horror stories of being a lefty because growing up my maternal grandmother used to swat stuff out of my left hand and try and force me to use my right hand. My mother (also a southpaw) would yell at her to stop and let me be whichever handed I was going to be. Now with my own kids I tried the reverse for a bit, but alas I'm the only lefty in my family! sad smiley(

Date: May 5, 2010 17:37

John1982
I'm right-handed and play my guitar left-handed. But I hold the tennis racket with my right hand.

so left- or right-handed air-guitar?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 5, 2010 18:28

I'm right handed in everything I do except Hockey. I was a goalie and because I liked the glove on my hand - from baseball I learned Hockey left-handed. I also learned to golf left-handed but, once I progressed past miniature golf and found out how expensive golf clubs are, I quickly learned how to play right-handed.

I must say, that although I don't recommend re-stringing a guitar for left-handed players, I love playing guitars that have been restrung for lefties. Although it's very hard to solo and I actually am forced to think of how to play the chords, I love having all of my down-strokes sound like up-strokes and vice-versa.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home