Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why did Holland did not press albums in the early 70's?
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: May 26, 2010 21:41

We all know there's a long gap in the Dutch discography. More or less, they did not press own records from late 1972 to 1976.
Is there anyone out there who can tell the reason why? At the moment, I'm not very deep into record collecting, but - recently - I've bought three 'made in France' export albums pressed for the Dutch market and these records have brought me straight back to what I am: a curious archivist.
These three records are all form the mid-70's and are custom-made for Holland, in the sense that all these have never been issued in France.
Funny isn't it?
Any help, story and odds'n'sodds in reply to my question will be appreciated!
Thanks, Luca

Re: Why did Holland did not press albums in the early 70's?
Posted by: behroez ()
Date: May 26, 2010 23:47

I think you are wrong, i have bought many records (vinyl) here in 2nd hand shops, old scruffy ones (like Only Rock, Goat's Head, Black and blue etc.) and they are all printed in Holland 1972-1973 etc. Same for the Decca re-releases of their 60's albums in early 70's.

Date: May 28, 2010 11:31

Ok, I accept I might be wrong: no problem. Could you, please, confirm they're genuine 'made in Holland' copies and let me have the complete cat. numbers?
I have the 'Black and Blue' Dutch LP, also issued in color vinyl w/ proper sticker ob cover. I've never seen/heard of 'Goat's' and 'IORR'.
Talking about DECCA, the most of the Dutch re-issues seem to be from the late-70's rather than 1972/73.
Have you ever came across the 'made in France' records exported to Holland, by chance? Thanks a lot, Luca

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 28, 2010 11:35

Stuck me too that my albums from the seventies always were printed in Holland for some reason...always...begins with Sticky Fingers and then all of Columbias albums...always Holland...

Date: May 28, 2010 17:17

ok, and what about 7"s? Have you got, for instance, a 'made in Holland' copy of 'It's Only Rock and Roll' or 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg'?
I've never seen a copy...
Cheers, Luca

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:02

Maybe you should consider getting these books:

[www.amazon.de]

[www.amazon.de]

Date: May 28, 2010 22:52

I know the books well. They do not offer first-hand new entries: just good sums of well-known database.
In any case, they confirm my statement: a lot of singles missing in the Dutch RSR discography of the early 70's. Moreover, I can confirm that 'It's Only Rock and Roll' album was not originally issud in Holland, nor 'Monkey Grip' and 'Made in the Shade' did.
The matter is: why?
The same goes with a lot of DECCA albums: have you got a 1973 copy of 'No Stone Unturned', for instance?
Can anybody tell the reason why this gap occurred? It's an odd situation. In Italy, where the RS have never been veryh popular, you can have a very complete discography, rarities included. In Holland they've always been, but got poor releases in 1973/1975.
Problems with record plants, international strategies, excessive tax on home-made records (like in Japan, recently)? Thanks for caring, Luca

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 28, 2010 23:05

"docteur es kleemaker" ....
I am looking forward to read you on this thread ....Holland...1970..Let's see how you're going to make it tongue sticking out smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: May 28, 2010 23:42

To tell the truth, I've not that much to add: I'm asking for help, not giving solutions...
It all stars thanks to the three 'made in France' albums export-only to Holland I own. They're made in France with Dutch catalogue numbers: rare and unseen.
Do more exist? Do collectors own more French-for-Dutch records?
In early-70's, France was very big at record pressing (L'Age d'Or, for instance) and used to export almost everywhere, in Europe.
Simply, I would like to have a clear picture of exports in Europe at the time: it would help me a lot when organizing my collection.
I hope some old collectors, like me, will care to help and share the news.
Luca

Date: May 29, 2010 00:28

Goat's Head Soup, made in Holland 1973 nr; left side eticet 1A 062-63076, right side eticet LC 2251.
The re-issue of Rolling Stones and Rolling Stones 2 in Holland by Decca are well known for collectors. The first one has on the frontcover the photo's of the Jumping Jack Flash single and on the back Stones studioalbum covers upto Bleed. Nr 2 was released under the name Everybody Needs Somebody to Love and has a groupspicture of the Stones on it with Mick Taylor instead of Brian Jones, they are defenitly made in Holland (can't miss it, it's written in big letters on the eticet) and date from early 70's.

Date: May 29, 2010 00:30

French Decca albums have a black eticet and Dutch ones bright blue.

Date: May 29, 2010 09:05

1A 062-63076 LC 2251 is not from 1973: it's a re-issue on EMI, which distributed RSR from the late 70's onward.
This brings us back to the core of my question: we're looking for the original/first issues/first print - how you prefer - copies of the missing albums and singles.
My researches and discography never claimed to be complete and correct, but facts are that no discography ever listed these records.
If they weren't issued, why?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home