Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones in Exile DVD - Nellcote Footage
Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:21

Just watched the DVD included in the super deluxe version of the new exile release...

Some questions:

Was all of the Nellcote Basement footage reinacted?
It's weird because they don't show anyones faces - but clearly that isn't Charlie behind the drums. Also - they even went so far as to put a poster of Angela Davis on the wall (just liked was rumoured to have been on the basement walls of Nellcote.) There is also a cool backing track of the Stones actually conversing during this rehearsal footage. That definietley is from 71/72.
When Anita 1st starts talking - they show a shot of a chandalier at night from a distance - do you think all this footage is legit?
I remember hearing on a docurmentary (or maybe even reading in a book how when the Stones moved to France in 71 they all took videocameras with them)

Lastly - in one of the Tarle basement photos - the one with Bobby Keyes and Jim Price sticking their tongues out at the camera - there is clearley a video recorder mounted on a tripod in the basement...

Re: Stones in Exile DVD - Nellcote Footage
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:29

>> (just like was rumoured to have been on the basement walls of Nellcote) <<

more than rumoured - photographed
that's Angela on the wall there

- 1971 by Dominique Tarle, courtesy of Rockman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 19:36 by with sssoul.

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:30

It is all re-created. Think of it as faux-Nellcote. Tacky beyond belief. But what else would you expect from Kijak who was still in diapers when the Stones were making exile and who did not even come of age until the 1980s when the Exile period was long over.

Date: May 19, 2010 19:44

The rehearsal fottage from LA (in the studio) looks legit though...

Date: May 19, 2010 20:16

>> the rehearsal footage from LA (in the studio) looks legit though <<

all i've seen so far are some short bits from it, but:
do you mean the Montreux rehearsal footage they included?
part of the time it looks like the filmmaker was hoping we'd think it was Nellcote -
or maybe that's just the way the excerpts i saw were edited

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 21:04 by with sssoul.

Date: May 19, 2010 20:40

No - the Montreux footage is obviously montreax (you can tell be Keith's shirt/blouse - it's the same one he wears with Marlon at the piano). I believe they also show rehearsal footage from LA right before the tour starts.

But there is also footage of them in the studio (I believe it's sunset)

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: May 19, 2010 20:44

How many minutes long is this?

Date: May 19, 2010 20:47

Stones in Exile on the Bonus DVD is approx 12 minutes

Date: May 19, 2010 21:06

>> How many minutes long is this? <<

apparently the version that's been (or is being, depending where you live) broadcast is about an hour long,
and the version that's coming out on dvd in june is something like 2.5 hours

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 20, 2010 07:41

in the Exile flick- Did they put a Jan 1969 date on the "sexually satisfied" press conference with Mick Taylor in it? That's wrong, isn't it?

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 07:54

Very wrong. It makes you wonder who researches this stuff.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 20, 2010 13:41

stonesseventytwo
It is all re-created. Think of it as faux-Nellcote. Tacky beyond belief. But what else would you expect from Kijak who was still in diapers when the Stones were making exile and who did not even come of age until the 1980s when the Exile period was long over.

It's obviously a nonsense to say that only a person who was an adult in 1972 could make a satisfactory documentary. We're talking about an historical perspective here.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 20, 2010 13:53

I wouldn't call it a 'documentary' at all, but a mishmash of all sorts of moments from 1969 (yes, the famous press conference) until 1972 (the STP Tour). Amusing but from a historical point of view dubious. Certainly confusing for 'non insiders'.

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: May 20, 2010 17:25

I don't think it is riduculous to say that only someone who was of age in 1972 could have made a good documentary about the Stones during that period. Do you think someone who had never been to Japan, for example, could make a good documentary about Japan ? Impossible. Watching Kijaks film, one can see that he just doesn't get the nuances right. Simply because he was not there at the time.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 02:25

Ah! Explains Keith saying he cannot remember cameras at Nellocte! They were not there!

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 21, 2010 02:43

It was on Aussie TV last night, and it didn't seem all totally legit me to - and I wouldn't call myself the most informed fan when it comes to these historical facts. There was definetly some re-created footage.

Only went for 60 minutes as well; I thought it was longer.

Although it was great to hear from Mick T and Bill, I don't know how new some of the interviews were.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 21, 2010 02:50

stonesseventytwo
I don't think it is riduculous to say that only someone who was of age in 1972 could have made a good documentary about the Stones during that period. Do you think someone who had never been to Japan, for example, could make a good documentary about Japan ? Impossible. Watching Kijaks film, one can see that he just doesn't get the nuances right. Simply because he was not there at the time.
It doesn't have to do with age. Just because someone was born in 1943 doesn't mean he was there at Nellcote.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2010 03:05

Only went for 60 minutes as well; I thought it was longer.

there's a reasonable dose of bonus material ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 21, 2010 05:05

I mean - it is obvious that with all the supposed power failures, the heat, and the total disorganiztion - the last thing they would have is someone taking perfect video of Glyn Johns in the mobile truck.
So, it was the still photos I totally trusted. matter of fact I thought the photos gave me a whole new perspective on Nellcote this time. way more intimate, like the placer is now smaller IMO.
But the film overall was well done. I thought.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 10:16

Father Ted

It's obviously a nonsense to say that only a person who was an adult in 1972 could make a satisfactory documentary. We're talking about an historical perspective here.

...correct, imho- but then you're talking 'journalism'; that was never the objective in this case I'm affraid. This is promo-stuff in 'faux-docu' style; coming from a 'mega' ex-popgroup that doesn't even realise it's not a popgroup anymore, I might add... The way the Stones have been handling (& profiling) themselves & their legacy for decades, now. Time to change thát atitude, me thinks; pretty soon nobody will be interested anymore. And then you'll be gone forgood...
(I mean: look at the amazing & critically acclaimed BBC-series "Classic Albums"... Where's the Stones in that one!?? Most probably no interest in collaborating, charging gazillions of dollars for the use of pic's/images, pieces of film, musical exerpts, live interviews etc. - that's when the ivory tower starts 'breaking down', imo.)

Anyway: I like the film "Stones in Exile"; there's loads of pic's & footage in there that I've never seen. And I admire the Boys for what they've accomplished, and like almost anything that puts the spotlights on their accomplishments. Manipulated as it (sometimes) apparently may be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home