Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones have the #1 album at Amazon.com
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 15, 2010 17:44

I understand that this chart only represents about 7% of all album sales, but it has been a good indicator of where the Stones will enter the charts in the past.

At this point I'd be surprised if the Exile re-release doesn't enter Billboard in the top ten.

It looks like all the Fallon attention has helped get them some positive attention for the first time in a long time. I'd bet my life that they will doing something similar when the new album comes out.

[www.amazon.com]

Re: Stones have the #1 album at Amazon.com
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 15, 2010 17:58

people thought that in 72 but a yr later the stones gave them goats head soup which im sure confused a few people.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 15, 2010 17:59

Just the biggest band in the world with a big promotion, too.

:-)

Date: May 15, 2010 18:56

Has the promotion been that big beisdes the Jimmy Fallon stuff?

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: May 15, 2010 19:19

it seems a lot of radio stations are helping out with the promo too.

q107 in toronto is doing an all request stones weekend.

Date: May 15, 2010 19:26

Does anyone know if Exile will be counted as one or two records on the sales chart?

I could be wrong, but I thought that double albums count as two records sold. Thus, if Exile has 50k in sales it's first week it will register as 100k ablums sold.

Again, I'm not sure about this, but I think that's how it works.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 15, 2010 19:36

That's how it used to work. I'm not sure anymore. I would think so, it's two records as vinyl but one record as CD so...or the two disc CD edition. That's still a second album. If anyone releases a double album on CD no matter what the second disc is I'd think it would count as two records sold. But that's not accurate as far as the RELEASE goes. Double album or not, it's still called an album, as in one. Because it is. It just has two discs.

Dunno. I asked a similar question here a while ago and it may have been George Licks that found out or knew the newer information, that it used to be that way but that, as far as CD releases go, it just counts as one unit.

Obviously I can't remember but there was something twisted about it compared to how it used to be.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 15, 2010 19:53

James Kirk
Does anyone know if Exile will be counted as one or two records on the sales chart?

I could be wrong, but I thought that double albums count as two records sold. Thus, if Exile has 50k in sales it's first week it will register as 100k ablums sold.

Again, I'm not sure about this, but I think that's how it works.

Let's make it simple:

BILLBOARD / SOUNDSCAN

1 record sold = 1 record sold (1 CD or 30 CD's, it's the same)

RIAA

Multiplies the number of records for their certifications.

Example:

The Beatles stereo box set, it debuted at #15 on Billboard with about 25k sold, and the current RIAA certification is 3x Platinum (about 187,000 copies sold x 16 CD's)

Date: May 15, 2010 20:01

If Exile counts as two records sold I don't think it is 100% out of the realm of possability that the Stones could hit #1 next week.

Bare with me here...Last week Godsmack had the number one record in the United States with 118,441 units sold. While James Taylor and Carol King had the #4 album with 74,877 units sold.

Lets give the Stones the benefit of the doubt and say they equal the Taylor/King sales of 74k. If Exile counts as two albums sold that would equal 148k units sold. That number would easily have given the Stones the #1 album last week if the old rules are still valid.

I have to stress that I don't know if the old rule is still in play, but if it is I think the Stones could have a legit shot at #1.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking?

Date: May 15, 2010 20:02

Georgelicks,

Thanks, I just noticed your post.

If that's the case there is no way they go to #1, but a top ten is very possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-15 20:04 by James Kirk.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 15, 2010 21:12

James Kirk
Has the promotion been that big besides the Jimmy Fallon stuff?

Yes, tons. They're getting multiple magazine covers with feature stories. There are newspaper interviews across the country. Multiple radio shows doing features. The NBA has been using RTJ in each broadcast with its video montage. Larry King's interview with Jagger airs next week and they've been showing clips the past few days. CNN used RTJ as bumper music on the morning show. The "Stones in Exile" documentary is coming out and aired last night on NBC. And a whole week of Fallon is no small thing. I've never seen this much effort put into a reissue of a nearly 40-year-old album. Let's hope this does well so we get more...

EDIT: I forgot to mention the episode of Cold Case titled "Shattered" that aired last week using all Stones songs, including a snippet of "Aladdin Story (So Divine)."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-15 22:20 by ajc68.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 15, 2010 21:50

...Number 1 also on Amazon UK.....

Posted by: Erhard ()
Date: May 15, 2010 21:52

Number 1 also on Amazon Germany...

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 15, 2010 21:57

Erhard---its no.7 in germany

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 15, 2010 22:15

Great news all around.

Posted by: Erhard ()
Date: May 15, 2010 23:13

Hi Havo,

in the afternoon the exile was No. 1 in Germany.

You must click on Musik > Rock. Click on Rock and then you can see that actually the Exile is the No. 1 at Amazon. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-15 23:14 by Erhard.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 16, 2010 00:16

Erhard
Hi Havo,

in the afternoon the exile was No. 1 in Germany.

You must click on Musik > Rock. Click on Rock and then you can see that actually the Exile is the No. 1 at Amazon. smiling smiley

It's #1 in Rock which is only a subcategory of the overall amazon music charts where Exile is only ranked #7.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: May 16, 2010 12:24

still number 1 on amazon.com smiling smiley

It does not release in sweden until wednesday.. but believe me, I will be theresmiling smiley

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: May 16, 2010 13:59

ThatsWhatISay
It's #1 in Rock which is only a subcategory of the overall amazon music charts where Exile is only ranked #7.

Nr 7 for a re-release of an old album (that everyone allready got) with only a few new songs on it that originally didn't seemed good enough for the official release is an amazingly high ranking (at least i think so).

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 16, 2010 15:36

behroez
ThatsWhatISay

Nr 7 for a re-release of an old album (that everyone allready got) with only a few new songs on it that originally didn't seemed good enough for the official release is an amazingly high ranking (at least i think so).

It is for sure, but typically Stones albums in Germany go to #1. I'm surprised that it's selling better in the US. Must be due to the heavy promotion.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:09

James Kirk
Last week Godsmack had the number one record in the United States with 118,441 units sold.

Good grief. I don't even know who that is. There are just as many of the bad named bands now as there was when there was Candle Stick and Candlebox and Firehose and Coldplay and Nickleback and some band with a number in it and maybe a few others I can't remember or haven't invented due to not knowing their actual @#$%& names.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:58

Usually a NEW Rolling Stones-album reach the no.1 chart position in germany---Even "A bigger Bang" for 3 weeks. So will "exile", even its 38 years old

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Date: May 16, 2010 19:05

Deluxe - 1º
Remaster - 29º
Superdeluxe box set - 33º

:-)

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 12:17

When are the Charts out? the Billboard top whatever..

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 17, 2010 14:42

andrew9148
When are the Charts out? the Billboard top whatever..

UK: Sunday 23/05
US: Wednesday 26/05

Date: May 17, 2010 14:54

thank you . my total guess is number 12 in usa, number 22 uk.

Date: May 17, 2010 17:19

Amazon selles

Deluxe - 1º
Remaster - 16º
Superdeluxe - 29º

Date: May 17, 2010 22:46

Deluxe - 1º
Remaster - 15º
Superdeluxe - 17º

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 17, 2010 23:17

Deluxe - 1º
Remaster - 16º
Superdeluxe - 18º

Date: May 18, 2010 13:36

Still number one. maybe top ten is on the cards after all. good on the old boys.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home