Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Could You Recognize A New Stones Song After Having heard A Few Seconds of It
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 15, 2010 04:38

Many of you have an encyclopedic knowledge of the Stones, their music, and their lives. Some of you are musicians who may play many Stones songs at your gigs. But can you honestly say you could recognize a brand new Stones song, after having heard only a few opening chords(not hearing Jagger's distinctive voice)? I believe I could do so with 100% accuracy. If you think you could do it, say so, and tell us how you would be able to do it.

Re: Could You Recognize A New Stones Song After Having heard A Few Seconds of It
Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: May 15, 2010 04:47

Yup!
because I know

Re: Could You Recognize A New Stones Song After Having heard A Few Seconds of It
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2010 04:59

Nope can't recognize a thing till the DJ reads back the play list ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2010 05:07

Always...though I am sometimes fooled by MJ solo stuff, because I never bought them. I have to remind myself there aren't any Stones releases I have never heard.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 15, 2010 05:31

I'll hum a few bars of something: "Hmm Hmm Hm Hm-hm hmmhmm-hmhmm"

Anyone got it yet?

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: May 15, 2010 05:50

The very first time I heard Brown Sugar, on the radio, I thought "holy shit, it's the new Stones tune!!!"

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 15, 2010 05:54

most of the time. take this new release, i dont think anyone would recognize following the river as a stones song, but the other tracks, definitely.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 15, 2010 06:16

No sweat

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: May 15, 2010 11:35

schillid

Anyone got it yet?

That sounds like Loving Cup....... Am I right?

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 15, 2010 14:31

flilflam..yea..I think I could recognize a Stones song..but need a wee bit more time than a few seconds.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: May 15, 2010 14:36

yes, I think I could

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: May 15, 2010 14:44

I'am in let the games begin
Hit me...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 15, 2010 15:08

If the intro is done by Jagger and/or Richards it's probably easier to guess quickly. If the intro is played by the keyboard player(Chuck,Nicky,Bill, Ian) that could be more tricky. But Mick's voice and Keith's guitar have a Pavlov's dog effect on us!!! It's in us, that's what 10000 hours (or more) of listening to Stones music does to someone; we can't help it.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 15, 2010 15:34

yorkey
schillid

Anyone got it yet?

That sounds like Loving Cup....... Am I right?

No... it was Satisfaction

Posted by: neilly43 ()
Date: May 15, 2010 15:47

I don't think I would have recognised tracks like Aladdins Story or maybe Heaven

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 15, 2010 23:01

I would recognize nr 5

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 15, 2010 23:29

Yup...I can name that band in 4 notes....

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:00

A few years ago I heard this song for the first time on tne radio and was able to identify it as a Stones song. My wife was impressed. The first ten seconds, before Jagger begins singing, is pure Stones. It is impossible to put it into words, but I knew after the first ten seconds it was the Stones. No doubt about it.

Date: May 16, 2010 02:09

No, I consider myself hardcore, but the truth is if it is not the typical Keith guitar, the typical Charlie snare, how would anyone recognize it? Without Jagger's voice how would anyone know "Continental; Drift" is the Stones?
I would think it horrible if they were so predictable.
On the other hand, and this has happened to me several times, I have heard a brand new track that I did not know was the Stones, and I immediatley dug it! This has proven to me that the Stones love is for real: when I love it without even knowing it is the Stones. I will never forget hearing "Emotional Rescue" the first time> I am in a car in Holland with my brother, and he is talking, talking, and I am trying to concentrate on this new funky sound that is grabbing me, and pulling me in. Then Jagger's "real" voice comes in and I jump up "It's the new Stones!". And I was a kid at that time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home