Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: OT: Your top ten movies
Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 12, 2014 15:05

NoCode0680
Wroclaw
With no particular order...

Apocalypse Now
Oceans 11
Goldfinger
Life of Brian
Goodfellas
Downfall (Der Unrergang)
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Back to the Future (I)
LA Confidential
Jay and Silent Bob strike back.

All the above I've seen at least 4-5 times and never felt enough.

That's not one I was expecting to see on anybody's list, interesting choice. I think it's very funny, and I've never even seen it high, which is sort of how it was intended to be watched I think. But even not, I've still always found it funny. I can't say the same for other "stoner movies" like Half Baked or the Cheech and Chong movies, hilarious when high but I can't get 5 minutes in otherwise.

smiling smiley I'm an unconventional person as far as my pattern of "consuming" art/music/culture is concerned. If I like something, I would see/listen to it numerous times while being totally indifferent to any type of recommendation about "new great things". I'm not a stoner, and actually I've never used any type of drugs or got drunk/wasted etc., and the whole "Stoners scene" is known to me only from watching random movies/reading talkbacks, but I really like Kevin Smith humor when it is at its best. J&SB Strike back was an endless pleasure of numerous really funny moments and I've watched it, in full, quite alot. BTW: I also recently liked "Bad Grandpa" - even though I dont think I would watch it again, as its funniest moments are based on wild vulgarity and an unsophisticated one.

BTW: as #11 for this list I would add "Gladiator" and "The Lighthorsemen" (Australian war movie) - while both were definitely within the "Kitschy" boundaries, they still were well produced and played and I can watch them from start to end, more then once.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: January 12, 2014 15:15

big Lebowski
Fight club
Apocalypse Now
Lost in translation
The red thin line
Life of Brian
The tree of Life.
Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 12, 2014 17:25

Wow, lots of good movies...I'd find it much harder compiling a top ten list of movies than favourite albums.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 12, 2014 17:31

Repo Man
Life Of Brian
Apocalypso Now
Trainspotting,
Godfather trilogy
Dog Day Afternoon
Taxi Driver
Mullholland Drive

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 12, 2014 21:48

Wroclaw
BTW: I also recently liked "Bad Grandpa" - even though I dont think I would watch it again, as its funniest moments are based on wild vulgarity and an unsophisticated one.

I'll probably skip that one. I used to watch Jackass and saw all the Jackass movies (saw the first on in the theater, didn't even know what it was but a friend took me), and that character was in all the movies I think and many episodes of the show. I had already grown pretty tired of him (plus it was never one of my favorite segments to begin with) even before I found out he was going to have his own movie. If it weren't for the fact that I had already seen so much of him, I may have checked it out.

Wroclaw
I'm an unconventional person as far as my pattern of "consuming" art/music/culture is concerned. If I like something, I would see/listen to it numerous times while being totally indifferent to any type of recommendation about "new great things".

LOL, you should see my movie collection. Whenever somebody looks at my shelf they're always "What the @#$%&? Why do you own Teen Wolf on Blu Ray? And why do you have Halloween III and not the others?". The "Who's Harry Crumb?" movie poster I have in the TV room gets some strange looks as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-12 21:55 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 12, 2014 23:11

Lost in Translation
Beatles Anthology
Ronin
Tale of Two Cities
Hound of the Baskervilles
A Christmas Carol
The Last Waltz
Passion of the The Christ
Braveheart
Let it BE

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: January 13, 2014 00:47

Chris Fountain
Breaking Bad. Well it is not really a movie but I saw every episode uninterrupted back to back.

You watched every episode back to back?! Where you on meth or what?!

Have to agree though - having just watched the final episode it really is up there with any of the great films. Truly fantastic.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 13, 2014 01:21

Laertis, excellent soundtrack, indeed. I wore that one out!

On Requiem, to me that was good, can only be watched once...

Kevin Smith can be really funny--have you ever caught his act live?

Hey, does anyone at IORR have a screening room? We could gather for a weekend of movies, starting with the most recommended. cool smiley

Well, it's an idea...

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: January 13, 2014 03:04

JAWS
TRAINSPOTTING
GOODFELLAS
SEVEN
ANGEL HEART
DEPARTED
GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY
PATHS OF GLORY
GODFATHER
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-13 05:37 by BILLPERKS.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 13, 2014 03:28

King Kong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-18 11:40 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 13, 2014 04:38

NoCode0680
LOL, you should see my movie collection. Whenever somebody looks at my shelf they're always "What the @#$%&? Why do you own Teen Wolf on Blu Ray? And why do you have Halloween III and not the others?". The "Who's Harry Crumb?" movie poster I have in the TV room gets some strange looks as well.

I bet I could provide them with the appropriate answer" you grew up in the 90s.smiling smiley

Myself, I come from the 80s, so Halloween I and even II are great, but the series loses muscle beginning with III. Also, I don't own a blu ray player, let alone have a copy of Teen Wolf--though Michael J Fox was OK in the Family Ties series, which you probably don't remember.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 13, 2014 05:47

stonehearted
NoCode0680

I bet I could provide them with the appropriate answer" you grew up in the 90s.smiling smiley

Myself, I come from the 80s, so Halloween I and even II are great, but the series loses muscle beginning with III. Also, I don't own a blu ray player, let alone have a copy of Teen Wolf--though Michael J Fox was OK in the Family Ties series, which you probably don't remember.

But all of those things, along with most of my movies and MYSELF, are from the 80's.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's, I was born in '80 and for some reason have excellent memory from my early years. I can remember things starting from when I was 2 that my parents can't. I remember seeing A Christmas Story and Return Of The Jedi in the theater when I was 3 for instance.

I like the first 3 Halloween movies. The first one is fantastic of course, the second one is a pretty good continuation, but starting to get a little stale. I LOVE Part III though. I liked the idea Carpenter had of turning it into an anthology series with different Halloween-themed films every year, and I think Part III is just a great sci-fi/horror b-movie type film. If they had just called it "Season Of The Witch" and dropped the Halloween part, it would have done much better. Once they brought Michael back though, and Carpenter was in no way involved, it went WAY downhill.

I do remember Family Ties. Between watching it as a kid and seeing reruns on TV Land, I've probably seen every episode. I love the Back To The Future movies also, I saw all of them in the theater. They look great in Blu Ray by the way, if anybody is thinking about pulling the trigger on the box.

By the way, another reason to love Halloween III. Tom Atkins, and his co-star, Tom Atkins' mustache.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-13 05:50 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 13, 2014 06:07

Yes, that's what I mean, you were born in the 80s, came of age in the 90s, so your working active memory extends to only the early 80s or so.

Myself, I was born in '66, so my earliest TV memories would be vastly different from yours, with TV shows like the original Dark Shadows, Batman, Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, and Scooby Doo and Josie and the Pussycats for cartoons on Saturday morning.

I stopped watching regular television in the mid-80s (and to this day have never owned a TV set--well, OK, once in an apartment I had in 2000-2001, but I refused to install cable so I occasionally watched 3 basic network channels, a couple of UHF stations, and PBS: I gave up on it in 2001 when the VHS set-up broke). Well before then, as my peers soaked up mainstream 80s junk like Journey, Foreigner, Loverboy, and--god help us--Asia, I listened instead to Beatles, Stones, Cream, Doors, Who, Kinks, and as you can tell from the list of films I posted above, my memory of current films gets really sketchy to the point of nonexistent after 1982.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: January 13, 2014 07:38

stonehearted
Yes, that's what I mean, you were born in the 80s, came of age in the 90s, so your working active memory extends to only the early 80s or so.

Myself, I was born in '66, so my earliest TV memories would be vastly different from yours, with TV shows like the original Dark Shadows, Batman, Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, and Scooby Doo and Josie and the Pussycats for cartoons on Saturday morning.

I stopped watching regular television in the mid-80s (and to this day have never owned a TV set--well, OK, once in an apartment I had in 2000-2001, but I refused to install cable so I occasionally watched 3 basic network channels, a couple of UHF stations, and PBS: I gave up on it in 2001 when the VHS set-up broke). Well before then, as my peers soaked up mainstream 80s junk like Journey, Foreigner, Loverboy, and--god help us--Asia, I listened instead to Beatles, Stones, Cream, Doors, Who, Kinks, and as you can tell from the list of films I posted above, my memory of current films gets really sketchy to the point of nonexistent after 1982.

hey, now, we used to listen to that '80s 'junk' too & it was all over new York & Chicago radio! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 13, 2014 09:12

stonehearted
I listened instead to Beatles, Stones, Cream, Doors, Who, Kinks, and as you can tell from the list of films I posted above, my memory of current films gets really sketchy to the point of nonexistent after 1982.

Back in the (late) 80's I was regarded as sort of a fossil since I was listening to The Who and the Doors. Well.... the Doors were considered somewhat cool by some (sometimes a great way to get attention by the really cool and smart chick - "always thought of you as a weirdo but now I see you've got balls - you love the Doors!"). Anyway: The Who late 80's "Tommy" tour was a disgrace and listening to The Who, Stones etc. stuff was making you taken as a "Conservative guy". My beloved wife is an avid 80's British music fan (Depeche Mode, etc.) and once when she was pregnant but insisted on going to their concert, front stage standing tickets, I decided I'll go with her for the sake of future generation. I looked around and it was all looked like a bad parody on the 80's... God the 80's were not meant to stand the test of time. I mocked her and her friends for being "A bunch of accountants, lawyers and brokers dragged in 80's ridiculous attire". On the other hand... growing through the 80's makes one really "ready" to accept the kind of updated trash in film/music his teen age kids consume... I mean my son's friends watch in their celllphones various video clips/fails/vines and I find myself saying "shit! this crap looks like the same crap we used to have, only in much-much more pixels...".

70's music aged much better. Well... Pete Townshend/Steve Howe were front stage superstars back then. How badly can you age when your starting point is talent and not looks?

Date: January 13, 2014 09:28

[/quote]LOL, you should see my movie collection. Whenever somebody looks at my shelf they're always "What the @#$%&? Why do you own Teen Wolf on Blu Ray? And why do you have Halloween III and not the others?". The "Who's Harry Crumb?" movie poster I have in the TV room gets some strange looks as well.[/quote]

Well in my case its mostly my kids who laugh at me. I proudly put "The Terminator" (first) and they say "My friends can do better than that on his mac.!". We got stuck at home due to bad weather, power shut down and cold and I told them that back in about 1990 I got stuck at home in winter with all 3 VHS video library "Back to the Future" episodes. I did a re enactment, sort to speak, of that event and while they definitely liked the plot and the whole idea you can see the changes in our concept through their comment:

"Why did they use this short nerdy looking guy as the hero"?
"How could Marty and Prop. have known exactly when the lightening would hit the clock if there were no seconds ?" etc.

Guess they could never enjoy "The A team" as "no one gets shot ever".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-13 09:29 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 13, 2014 10:56

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: January 13, 2014 17:38

Olivia de Haviland's still kicking, and had a much bigger role in that movie anyway. Which reminds me, I'd like to add Robin Hood to my original list.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 13, 2014 17:56

Treasure of Sierra Madre
Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid
Goodfellas
Caddyshack
The Seivers
Schindler's list
Cincinatti Kid
Spinal Tap
Apocalypse Now
Chinatown

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 13, 2014 20:55

BILLPERKS
JAWS
TRAINSPOTTING
GOODFELLAS
SEVEN
ANGEL HEART
DEPARTED
GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY
PATHS OF GLORY
GODFATHER
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

thumbs up Real nice Movies....

2 1 2 0

Date: January 13, 2014 21:33

Olivia de Haviland's still kicking, ....Hey yeah your right!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 2, 2014 02:12

Just watching "The Big Chill", again, for the 30-40th time. I have not seen it for a couple of years now, and I am finding it very interesting how my perspective and feelings towards this movie has changed over the years, unlike most other movies.

When I first saw "The Big Chill" I was a younger than these people... then I became the same age as them.... and now I am older than them... And my feelings towards this movie has changed relative to all of that... it is interesting.

The only thing that has not changed one bit, is how great I feel the music is in this movie... from the Stones YCAGWYW at the start to Three Dog Night's Joy to World at the end, my feelings about the music has not changed, but life has altered how I feel about the people and issues in this movie.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 2, 2014 02:27

, but life has altered how I feel about the people and issues in this movie.

Max's can you explain the bold part of this sentence....my English isn't that good confused smiley

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: February 2, 2014 03:08

The Wild Bunch, and.... & Mallrats.

Did anyone ever notice that in the movie The Cutting Edge. About every song The Stones have done. Diddley Daddly, Shame Shame Shame... Walking The Dog. well 3 of the songs anyways.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 2, 2014 07:12

Dirty Harry
Live and Let Die
Star Wars
The Fugitive
Wizard of Oz
Blues Brothers
48 Hours
The Spy Who Loved Me
Kelly's Heroes
The Good Bad and the Ugly
French Connection
Jaws

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 2, 2014 08:08

The 70s were just such a great decade for cinema, Exorcist, The Godfather I and II, Taxi Driver, Star Wars, Jaws, Serpico, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (and 5 other Jack Nicholson movies probably), Alien, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, French Connection, Rocky...even Bond in the 70s is a guilty pleasure.

What else? Oh yeah, Performance and Ladies and Gentlemen!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: February 2, 2014 10:16

Brazil
Twelve Monkeys
The Crimson Permanent Assurance (prologue film to Meaning of Life)
V is for Vendetta
Princess Mononoke (animation)
Lord of the Rings franchise: trilogy, hobbit, smaug
Star Wars trilogy
Field of Dreams
Kill Bill 1,2

Date: February 2, 2014 10:24

Touch of Evil ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 2, 2014 12:32

Pusher trilogy
Fight Club
Natural Born Killers
JFK
Goodfellas
Taxi Driver
Godfather trilogy
Apocalypse Now
Hero (Zhang Yimou)
12 Monkeys
Memento
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
Donnie Brasco
Matrix
Thief (w/Nick Nolte)
True Romance
Bitter Moon

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 3, 2014 09:26

treaclefingers
The 70s were just such a great decade for cinema, Exorcist, The Godfather I and II, Taxi Driver, Star Wars, Jaws, Serpico, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (and 5 other Jack Nicholson movies probably), Alien, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, French Connection, Rocky...even Bond in the 70s is a guilty pleasure.

What else? Oh yeah, Performance and Ladies and Gentlemen!
thumbs up add Caddyshack, Animal House

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home