Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ernie Ball 6 Strings in standard tuning
Posted by: bmandolini ()
Date: March 30, 2010 11:35

Hello everyone. We all know very well what guitar strings used Keith for his 5 string Tele. But in standard tuning, he uses, a 009 or 010?
Thanks to all and ...
God save the Rolling Stones.

Re: Ernie Ball 6 Strings in standard tuning
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 30, 2010 11:49

bmandolini
Hello everyone. We all know very well what guitar strings used Keith for his 5 string Tele. But in standard tuning, he uses, a 009 or 010?
Thanks to all and ...
God save the Rolling Stones.

What about the other five strings then ? It varies..

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 30, 2010 12:13

Should be 0.10s. But I can remember reading that it depends on the guitar, which makes sense, so the 0.10s might not be the rule.

C

Posted by: bmandolini ()
Date: March 30, 2010 12:16

Ok, thanks. 010 for my new Gibson ES-355 with Bigsby.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 30, 2010 14:01

I have read somewhere that sometimes he uses 0.11s.

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:28

The 5 string set is a hybrid. I think he uses 10s or 11s depending on the guitar.

HOWEVER, don't buy strings because you think they are what Keith uses. There are many brands out there and are made out of different materials as well. Many guages too. Look around, experiment, find strings that work for you, your style and comfort. It will make you a better player.

Wayne

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:52

Both Wood and Richards use Ernie Ball 010 Slinky strings since the early 70's.

Mathijs

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 30, 2010 23:20

bmandolini
Ok, thanks. 010 for my new Gibson ES-355 with Bigsby.
Post pics please!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 31, 2010 01:54

.11s or .10s. .09s are for "lead" guitarists. .11s take abuse.

Date: March 31, 2010 16:13

71Tele
.11s or .10s. .09s are for "lead" guitarists. .11s take abuse.

All string guages are for everybody, you have to find your comfort level. Granted, they will all have a different feel and slightly different tone.

As far as 9s being for "lead" guitarists, someone should have told that to SRV as he was using 12s or 13s most of his career. LOL

I've been playing guitar for a long time and I have gone through many types of strings, guages, materials until I found one that really suited me.

Also, depending on the guage of strings you choose you need to have your guitar set up properly. The guitar nut must be cut properly for the guage you are using. FOr example, if it is set for 10s, you could theoretically use 9s also, but 11s would not be set properly.

Wayne

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 31, 2010 18:01

Does anybody else use the EB Slinky Top Heavy Bottom strings? I have been using those for a few years - nice and flexible for soloing but with good low end for rhythm.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 31, 2010 18:03

theimposter
Does anybody else use the EB Slinky Top Heavy Bottom strings? I have been using those for a few years - nice and flexible for soloing but with good low end for rhythm.

I used to, now I passed to the Gibson BB king set. Sound better to me.

C

Posted by: 61' telecaster ()
Date: March 31, 2010 19:59

Concerning aforementioned variety of brands and materials I have to say that things may be quite oposite. I read that only few factories in the world make guitar strings and they are metal rolling plants that produce cables and wires. Guitar string companies are just packers and resellers. That kind of business is not that profitable so they can't afford their own factory.

Couple years ago I went to the guitar shop and I could't resist to buy EB Earthwood for acoustic just because Stones use them. Later, when I realised that they sound and feel like all other strings, I remembered that Keith once said that if ten people play the very same guitar they would make ten different sounds.

My preferred strings are Rotosound - cheaper than other famous brands and there's an extra high E in every pack. They also go well with Telecasters, listen to Status Quo smiling smiley

Date: March 31, 2010 22:59

61' telecaster
Concerning aforementioned variety of brands and materials I have to say that things may be quite oposite. I read that only few factories in the world make guitar strings and they are metal rolling plants that produce cables and wires. Guitar string companies are just packers and resellers. That kind of business is not that profitable so they can't afford their own factory.

Couple years ago I went to the guitar shop and I could't resist to buy EB Earthwood for acoustic just because Stones use them. Later, when I realised that they sound and feel like all other strings, I remembered that Keith once said that if ten people play the very same guitar they would make ten different sounds.

My preferred strings are Rotosound - cheaper than other famous brands and there's an extra high E in every pack. They also go well with Telecasters, listen to Status Quo smiling smiley

True, but not completely true. Some manufacturers make their own strings, Rotosound being one of them. I have been using Rotosound Yellow 10s for a while and they are a great set of strings.

I also use Curt Mangan strings. They also make their own strings. I am one of their artists. Small company, great product. You can tell the difference.

Most other companies have certain specs that they want but, yes, they are pretty much made by the same factory.

Wayne

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 1, 2010 10:56

wetland10
61' telecaster

True, but not completely true. Some manufacturers make their own strings, Rotosound being one of them. I have been using Rotosound Yellow 10s for a while and they are a great set of strings.

I also use Curt Mangan strings. They also make their own strings. I am one of their artists. Small company, great product. You can tell the difference.

Most other companies have certain specs that they want but, yes, they are pretty much made by the same factory.

Wayne

Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Pyramid and D'Addario all are string makers. All Guitar builder's brands (Fender, Gibson, Martin etc) all source their strings from one and the same factory, but use different specifications on mettalurgy etc. Gibson uses more nickel, Fender has longer strings with different ball ends etc.

I prefer Ernie Ball all the way, with an excemption for Pyramid Pure Nickel for my LP R59.

Mathijs

Date: April 1, 2010 16:49

Mathijs
wetland10
61' telecaster

Wayne

Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Pyramid and D'Addario all are string makers. All Guitar builder's brands (Fender, Gibson, Martin etc) all source their strings from one and the same factory, but use different specifications on mettalurgy etc. Gibson uses more nickel, Fender has longer strings with different ball ends etc.

I prefer Ernie Ball all the way, with an excemption for Pyramid Pure Nickel for my LP R59.

Mathijs

If you like Ernie Ball, check out Curt Mangan strings. Curt worked for Ernie Ball for years and started his own company, has his own factory. Great strings.

Wayne

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home