Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Performances on Film
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 19, 2010 23:52

The Stones were captured on film at the height of their powers in '69 (Gimme Shelter) and '72 (L&G). I have always found it ironic and very frustrating the film crews for both movies suffered from "Jaggeritis". In GS they had some excuse, as the Maysles only had one or two cameras, still it would be shots of Jagger no matter what the band was doing, or who was soloing. You might not know that Bill Wyman was in the band from watching that movie. In L&G (by which time they should have known better) there would be a shot of Jagger's bum while Keith was singing, and on and on. Perhaps this was more an editing issue in that film, which is even worse, because that means whomever actually had to make those decisions chose what they chose - The Mick Jagger Show.

Both movies are tantalizing and frustrating for hardcore fans of the band, who understand it IS a band, not Mick Jagger and backing group. they fared somewhat better in later films, but I for one would love a re-edit of L&G.

Re: Stones Performances on Film
Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 20, 2010 13:37

Typical of the time really. Try watching Deep Purple footage of the 70s, Blackmore steps forward and starts a guitar solo and the camera cuts to a close up of Jon Lord, cutting back when the solo ends.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 24, 2010 05:56

Yes, same can be said about The Band's The Last Waltz, where 90% of the time the camera's on Robbie Robertson, while there are practically no shots of Richard Manuel...or Garth Hudson even when he's soloing.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 24, 2010 06:28

stones78
Yes, same can be said about The Band's The Last Waltz, where 90% of the time the camera's on Robbie Robertson, while there are practically no shots of Richard Manuel...or Garth Hudson even when he's soloing.

Isn't Robbie also seen "singing" background vocals into a dead mic?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 24, 2010 13:27

Check out the Guitar solos,oh wait you can't, they show the wrong guitar players!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 24, 2010 19:16

> the Maysles only had one or two cameras

source? can't believe that!

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 24, 2010 19:20

The Last Waltz was heavily overdubbed. Rick Danko's entire bass performance was added later.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 24, 2010 21:06

71Tele
, but I for one would love a re-edit of L&G.

That's an interesting thought. I agree that theres too much footage of Jagger. I'm shure there are a lot of film left, but there might be a problem with actually finding much more of the other bandmembers because of bad light conditions. For most of the songs the stage light is consentrated on Jagger, and I guess that makes it hard to capture anything else. At the same time one can clarely see that in L&G they wanted to keep the cameras right up close, as in opposite to the C.S. Blues movie where the filming isn't that claustrohpobic. In C.S. Blues there's more footage from behind, and one gets to view more of the space around (ie. the mirrors in the seeling) Anyway I will be very happy for any bonus footage at all -keep it coming!

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 24, 2010 21:11

Btw, I wonder how much concert footage Robert Frank didn't use... is there more?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 25, 2010 10:50

71Tele
In L&G (by which time they should have known better) there would be a shot of Jagger's bum while Keith was singing, and on and on....- The Mick Jagger Show.

Everytime I watch the movie,I think that the filmaker had filmed Jagger in an almost lovingly way ....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:12

60's and 70's concert films are notorious for focusing on the wrong things at the wrong time. But by 1995 I would have expected the Japanese to correct this. I'm talking about the Tokyo Voodoo concert. That was also the Jagger Show according to the camera crew.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:39

frankotero
60's and 70's concert films are notorious for focusing on the wrong things at the wrong time.

O yes, quite annoying indeed. Ever watched the BBC Sounds for Saturday recording of The Faces?
Ronnie is on the far corner of the stage, and no one ever bothered to direct a camera
towards him, So here we sit, watching Kenney drum and Mac hit a key on the organ, while
Ronnie is soloing his socks off.

O and Charlies drumming during Keith' solo on Little Queenie is another fascinating thing
to watch on Gimme Shelter, just like Mick's bottom during Happy in Ladies & Gentlemen.

I have to say that The Who's Live at the Isle of Wight Festival is an exception in this
regard. Of course there is a lot of attention to Rogers bare chest, but plenty of instrumentalists
to enjoy to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home