Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Salt of the Earth" performed on Letterman last night
Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: June 24, 2010 20:12

Betty LaVette performs "Salt of the Earth" on Letterman:

Re: "Salt of the Earth" performed on Letterman last night
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 24, 2010 20:45

What a great interpretation of the song. I love her voice. Not to crap on Lisa - but i'd love to hear her do b/u on Gimme Shelter - that would be killer.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 24, 2010 20:58

ok, i'll crap on lisa, then, if you don't mind. bettye is an amazing singer; lisa is a wannabe....

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 24, 2010 20:59

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:02

i watched this last night on letterman ,and i thought she did a great job.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:21

She has a great voice, but I don't appreciate her taking liberties with the lyrics.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:23

The arrangement sucked.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:23

Excellent version!

Though I did think she was about to break into "Midnight Train to Georgia"!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:43

I like it!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:54

a really very good version smiling smiley I have no idea who is she, though. changes in the lyrics were wrong, though... ^^

and one more thing - the title says "Betty LaVette in Late Show..." - shouldn't it be "on"? I'm not a native speaker! just curious.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:57

Yes - it should be "on the Late Show" rather than "in" - so nice catch!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:08

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:27

saw her open for Peter Wolf. Problem was she stayed on WAY too long and is a one-tri k-pony. Plus Salt of The earth with her new lyrics was a joke.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:45

StonesTod
ok, i'll crap on lisa, then, if you don't mind. bettye is an amazing singer; lisa is a wannabe....
word. fire lisa and hire bettye plz.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2010 01:34

Thank you for posting, that was excellent. I wasn't bothered by a few lyric/arrangement changes.

If I wanted the stones version, I could pull out one of the 8 variations I have of it already on disc.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2010 01:53

great choice Natlanta ........

Betty's - Let Me Down Easy from 1965 ......Stunning Stuff ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 25, 2010 04:01

New CD is called "Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook". Some peculiar choices, but there's an incredible version of "Love Reign O'er Me".

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: June 25, 2010 04:02

mickscarey
saw her open for Peter Wolf. Problem was she stayed on WAY too long and is a one-tri k-pony. Plus Salt of The earth with her new lyrics was a joke.

I know what you mean. I saw her open for the Neville Brothers and at first, she sounded great, but after a few songs, she was boring....and she just went on forever..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 25, 2010 06:52

What a voice, beautiful. I don't understand the negative comments here.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: June 25, 2010 07:13

I swear, people here have the musical imagination of a gnat.......

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: June 25, 2010 07:28

I watched it last night and hate to admit I smirked when I heard her change the lyrics to something about HIV, instead of polio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-25 07:28 by akgameboy.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 25, 2010 17:08

She did a very nice interpretation. I wouldn't expect her to do a karaoke copy of the original. What would be the point of that? The audience certainly seemed to like it. There are some Stones songs that are so original they almost have to be performed by other artists to be fully appreciated. Salt of the Earth is one of them.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: June 25, 2010 20:40

batcave
I swear, people here have the musical imagination of a gnat.......

I don't know if you are referring to my post but I just wanted to clarify that I like her version of this and appreciate her voice....but I agree with mickscarey on seeing her live, she stayed on way too long.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 25, 2010 21:14

...Bettye is fantastic and so is this version....I can't believe people would object to an artist taking artistic license. ....furthermore it's within keeping of The Stones progressive slant.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 4, 2010 15:53

nice for a Sunday AM....

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 5, 2010 03:10

She's fine, I guess.

I've always seen this song as the Stones being languid detached and ironic -- not sentimental, earnest, or activist.

But I may have the musical imagination of a gnat winking smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 6, 2010 04:58

swiss

I've always seen this song as the Stones being languid detached and ironic -- not sentimental, earnest, or activist.

There's always a certain amount of perceived insincerity any time the Stones try to relate to the common man. In this case, I think it may have more to do with the insincerity of their Rock And Roll Circus performance of this song, and with what we THINK we know about them, i.e., we KNOW they don't really mean a word of it. But unlike, say, Frank Sinatra, who regardless of whether or not the listener knows anything about him, still SOUNDS like he doesn't mean a word he's singing, you could play the Stones original version of SOTE to someone who knew NOTHING about the Stones, and they wouldn't be able to find anything in the performance to cause them to doubt Mick's sincererity.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 6, 2010 08:02

tatters
But unlike, say, Frank Sinatra, who regardless of whether or not the listener knows anything about him, still SOUNDS like he doesn't mean a word he's singing, you could play the Stones original version of SOTE to someone who knew NOTHING about the Stones, and they wouldn't be able to find anything in the performance to cause them to doubt Mick's sincererity.

there are so many negative constructions in this sentence, I honestly can't follow your point... can you rephrase?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 6, 2010 08:08

tatters
swiss

There's always a certain amount of perceived insincerity any time the Stones try to relate to the common man. In this case, I think it may have more to do with the insincerity of their Rock And Roll Circus performance of this song, and with what we THINK we know about them, i.e., we KNOW they don't really mean a word of it. But unlike, say, Frank Sinatra, who regardless of whether or not the listener knows anything about him, still SOUNDS like he doesn't mean a word he's singing, you could play the Stones original version of SOTE to someone who knew NOTHING about the Stones, and they wouldn't be able to find anything in the performance to cause them to doubt Mick's sincererity.

hi tatters...That may be the case for some people, but I remember hearing Salt of the Earth first when I was around 10, and it didn't sound sincere even then. It's the drawling removed world-weary languid eye-rolly faux-gawd-help-us tone to Mick's voice. Perhaps I heard it that way because I grew up in a wealthy area where some people (adults) also had that sort of affectation/tone when referring to charity toward "the lowly of birth." A combo of condescension, sentimentality, hauteur, disdain, and smugness. I also heard the chorus (and still do) as making the song not only ironic, but quite perverse.

I saw RnR Circus when I was in my 30s and don't recall it influencing my opinion one way or another.

As to "common man" songs--never thought of Stones' songs in that way til now - interesting!--I don't hear irony or insincerity in Street Fighting Man or No Expectations (or any of the other common man type songs from BB ), or Loving Cup or Tumblin Dice (arguably common man songs from Exile) also don't seem insincere. Maybe there are some other examples? However, another possibly insincere irony-laden song to me is We Love You.

- swiss

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-06 08:12 by swiss.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 6, 2010 19:50

I think betty LaVette's interpretation of Salt Of The Earth was great to hear, thanks for posting it Tippytoe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home